Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Knee Pain……
  • timthetinyhorse

I have an issue with my knees after riding long distances, it rears its ugly head after about 25 mile and then gets gradually worse during the ride.

It starts as a little twinge and feels like its deep inside my knee joint (worse on the left but still there on the right) and the further i go the worse it gets, it feels like a shooting pain through my knee.

This is present on both my bikes one Genesis Alpitude HT with SPD and a YT wicked pro 650b with flats so rules out cleat position, my saddle height feels spot on as does my saddle position however i have never spent a great deal of time looking at exactly how to get the setup perfect.

The pain is present in my knees for a few hours after the ride and then begind to fade.

Would love any ideas on this so i can sus it out and enjoy my riding more!!

Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

This is present on both my bikes one Genesis Alpitude HT with SPD and a YT wicked pro 650b with flats so rules out cleat position

Maybe it doesn’t though.

You could have caused tendonitis with cleat position, and it can then flare up again when riding any pedals for the next few weeks.

JoB
    Free Member

ignore internet anecdotal advice and go and see a proper physio that understands cyclists

chakaping
    Free Member

And tell us where you are so people can recommend you one.

winch
    Free Member

More canter, less gallop

Dibbs
    Free Member

my saddle height feels spot on as does my saddle position however i have never spent a great deal of time looking at exactly how to get the setup perfect.

Try raising it 5mm and see if it makes any difference, what’s the worse that could happen?

timthetinyhorse

I have experimented numerous times with saddle height and it makes very little diference to be honest,

A valid point regarding the SPD however its been over a month since i last had that bike out but i can certainly see the point and perhaps it could still be related.

Winch i will perfect my canter technique, thanks for the advice 🙂

Im in south northumberland.

seanodav
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess at tight it bands

Captain_Sponge

Go see a proper sports aware physio – get a definitive answer, get it fixed and enjoy your riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably a bit of a trek for you, but they do know a lot about cycling issues…
    http://www.njdsportsinjuries.co.uk/

davieg
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess at tight it bands

Sounds like it but go see a good physio and get yourself checked out. And buy a foam roller.

Loads of resources and links about ITBS and other knee related ailments on the web. I found these articles useful, but go and see a physio who can properly assess you.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/take-care-of-your-knees-17010/

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/take-care-of-your-knees-part-2-17445/

instanthit
    Free Member

Take up Pilates. Improves your core, strenghtens glutes and lower back, lenghtens your spine and loosens ITB. Problem solved. But you will need to invest in a couple of months worth of weekly sessions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pain……’ is closed to new replies.