Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Knee pads with decent side protection
  • leegee

In the next few weeks I will begin riding again after fracturing my Patella in to 9 pieces due to an impact to the side of the knee.
    I was using Troy lee KG5450 and had no issue with them but now I cant take any chances and need more protection and side protection is key.

So far I am considering Dianese Oak and Scott Grenade II. the POC pads get great reviews but its hard to tell how much side protection there is.
    Any suggestions for others or experiences with the above welcome.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve been using 5450s since they came out but just picked up some Alpinestars Alps 2 pads for days when I want a bit more protection but without bulk of a full dh pad (661 Straits or TLD T-Bones)

So far very impressed by them, feel like they’ll take harder hits without being too bulky, much better fit that the Leatts I originally bought and returned.

poah
    Free Member

is it for proper DH or just trail riding?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leegee

Trail riding but I need proper protection, I worry!

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got some Grenade IIs great protection but heavy and a bit obtrusive. First choice for my pedally gravity rides but not for trail riding

Launch Pro/NP Critical kind of big and heavy but for gnarcore I find them satisfactory

661 Rage fractionally less protective – they’re lighter – but probably the most versatile. D30 makes a difference compared to the hardshells

POC vpd very similar light protective versatile

Dainese Trail Skins very light there’s a bit of side protection but it’s mostly all about the knee cap

RF Charge – abrasion resistant leg warmers

HTH

jam-bo

do they still make T-bones? they used to have loads of side protection.

edit: it appears they do but have slimmed the protection right down.

Northwind

661 Rage has pretty full coverage but I don’t know just how protective the side padding is, it’s not as thick or as protective as the front cap. (soft or hard version, the sides are the same). I’ve taken a few hard side knocks and they’ve done a good job so I trust them for me but maybe there’s better, for you.

Stupid front-only pads are the thing du jour just now, they’re more enduro.

poah
    Free Member

I use trailskins and they have been used. side protection works. not fallen on rocks mind you.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m discovering the same. My three year old POC joints have both split across the impact material just under where there knee cap is.

I use my knee on the top tube when I lean the bike over, and there seems to be only a few pads that have passing on the side. I’m minded to just replace my POCs with more POCs.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I´ve got the IXS Daggers, they are really good with a plastic protection on the kneecap and good side protection. As a bonus they are the most comfortable pads I´ve tried (for me). I put them on in the morning when we start and don´t take them off until I get back home in the evening!

Milkie
    Free Member

£90 for POC VPD 2.0 Knee Pads! 😯 OMG where do you buy them for cheaper?

Northwind

France, I think- most bike shops had a basket of POC stuff for £30 or so. I paid I think £70 for my Bone elbows in the UK and £40 for the second set in bourg.

rocketman
    Free Member

The POCs were (briefly) £40 in Tweeks black friday sale

They’re good but no way are they worth £90

leegee

Thanks for the input. Enduro magazine did a very interesting lab test in issue 9 and the Scott, Poc and ISX Carve had the most protection.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve found these have effective side protection – much much better than your Troy Lees (which I also own)…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-racing-launch-pro-knee-guards-2016/rp-prod60809

Good for all day rides too.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Fox launch pro, super knee pads you can forget about when riding. Like the look of the Ion K-pact so might try those when my Fox fall apart (if they do).

eltonerino

I have the Dianese Oak mid-length ones (just the cheaper ones, not the pro or the kevlar ones).

They are okay. At first, the ends of the stitching was giving me little cuts, but that stopped as they wore in. Also, the outer stretch material is easily damaged (brushing against a bush put a 50p sized hole in one of mine. glued it back in place).

Protection wise, they are pretty good. I’ve OOTB landing on my knees and stood up without any bruising. The site protection is enough to stop me smashing the frame into my legs, but not as good as some very cheap no-brand pads I had before.

tl;dr – Ok, but I wouldn’t recommend them.

JackHammer

I have the bluegrass ones, they offer little to no side protection. Had a fairly extensive leg bruise when i crashed at the afan enduro last year. I’d steer clear of them.

Here’s what i wrote before:

I have a set, they replaced a really worn out set of 661 evos.

I have fallen off a few things in the surrey hills and in south wales and my knees are fine still.

Had a nasty crash at the Afan enduro; OTBs, helmet cracked in three places, groggy etc. I cant remember how my knee hit the ground, but I had some serious knee bruising and swelling. So either it was a really bad crash and i got “lightly” or the side padding isn’t that great.

The left pad also rubs my knee really badly (big blister), but that might be me not adjusting it properly the last few times.

So yeah, they work when you fall on the cup bit, might not work on the side foam/sponge stuff. They rub a bit. Sizing seems great, i just measured my legs and went of their guide.

Here’s a photo of my knee

EDIT:
    Cant get the image to work

Del

been happy with 661 straits and now rages. don’t go big on sizing, they stretch.

cakefacesmallblock

661 Strait / Rage work well. First few rides felt like having a nappy strapped to my knees. My first pair are five years old now and will need replacing this so run I guess, I’ll be buying the same.
    One main reason for using them to start with, was the level of side protection. With two kneecap dislocation accidents over the past 15 years, I don’t want a repeat !

leegee

Splendid. Thanks everybody

bruneep

I have M kyle straits £20 posted if you’re interested

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads with decent side protection’ is closed to new replies.