Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Knee pads – what's recommended?
  • filks

Hi all

After an off this weekend I’m getting some knee pads. Any recommended or any to avoid?

TIA

jimjam
    Free Member

The best all-round I’ve owned have been the Fox Launch. I’ve owned a shit load.

legend
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

The best all-round I’ve owned have been the Fox Launch. I’ve owned a shit load.

Wasn’t going to recommend anything myself, but my Launches (Pro, not Enduro) are very good.

On the other hand, avoid Bliss ones. They are comfy enough, and stay in place pretty well but the foam material takes forever to dry out. I washed mine last night, they are currently on a radiator and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still wet at the end of the week.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Recently bought some Leatt 3DFs – very happy with them. Previously had Kyle Straights, not much in it really, although I find the 3DFs more comfortable and not as hot for summer use. They come up a little small though, definitely try before you buy

craig24
    Free Member

Another vote for Fox Launch Pro, I forget I’m wearing them.

nickc

Try on as many as you can, your knees are going to be different from everyone elses, for instance, Fox Launch rub the inside of my knee annoyingly, where as the 661 Evos are lovely (small for me!)

If you can, order 4-5 from CRC and send back what you don’t like.

beano68
    Free Member

Yup another one for Fox Launch Pro’s for the gnarly stuff then the Fox Enduro for the tamer trails

excitable1
    Free Member

Tried a few over the years.

661’s were uncomfortable (never made it out the shop), Endura’s tore my skin off, O’Neals fell apart…

Best knee pads by a country mile are the Ion K-pact. They are almost exactly the same pad as the Sweet Protection Bearsuit Pro but without the zip, a different badge, and £40 less.

They’ve survived 2 rides a week for 2 years, they don’t smell, don’t rub, they flex and shape to your knee, protect you and themselves well during falls, and the price is good too.

Can’t recommend them enough.

AlexSimon

they don’t smell

Surely this is a claim too far!

excitable1
    Free Member

Surely this is a claim too far!

…much !

They’re made of some anti-smell stuff and it does work. I just sponge the mud off them and stick them in the airing cupboard for a few days. Only have to wash them after a proper winter mud fest’.

kayak23

They’re made of some anti-smell stuff

Don’t blind us with science!
    😀

jairaj

I’m very happy with my Troy Lee KG5400 knee pads. They use a hard shell so there isn’t loads of padding to soak up sweat and get irritating. They are only held up with elastic and silicon grippers but they stay put most of the time, I maybe adjust them once or twice during a long ride.

I’ve had a couple big crashes on the knees with one nasty crash on a rock garden and the pads protected the knee well and stayed in position. Only a bit of bruising to the knee but I was able to get up and finish the ride without much problem. My forearm and elbow were covered in cuts and grazes.

In hind sight I would get the longer knee and shin combo KG5450. A friend has those which I borrowed for a bit. They are a bit more comfy still and you hardly notice the extra shin bit when riding so might as well use those.

thered

I like my Dainese tbh, very comfy and not stupid hot

tom.nash

Sweet Protection Bearsuit Lights – awesome.

stewartc
    Free Member

Race Face Ambush, very comfortable on long sweaty rides and you don’t need to take your shoes off to put them on and off.

filks

Thanks all – gone for the Fox Launch pads!

legend
    Free Member

tom.nash – Member

Sweet Protection Bearsuit Lights – awesome.

Are you not sponsored by them?

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks all – gone for the Fox Launch pads!

Well they’re not made of anti smell stuff and the hard bit inside isn’t that magic nano plastic sh1te you can mould to your knee but still tw4t with a hammer (all the science coming out now, see).

…your loss but don’t say I didn’t warn you 🙄

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Like the look of those Ion K Pacts, never came across them before. Currently using the RaceFace Charge which are pretty minimal but doing a good job so far.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Dainese everytime for me when it comes to body armour.

rhayter

I’m very happy with my Troy Lee KG5400 knee pads.

Me too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads – what's recommended?’ is closed to new replies.