Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Knee pads – what's 661's Kyle Strait equivalent, or recommend an alternative?
  • wl
    Free Member

Looking for some knee pads for all-day rides and long downhills but don’t want to spend more than around £50. I had 661 Kyle Straits and they lasted years, were pretty comfortable and offered tons of protection at a sensible cost. Anyone know what 661’s current equivalent is? Or can anyone recommend an alternative brand/model? Ta.

marco
    Free Member

Hi
    I have the IXS flow knee pads and they are the best I’ve used.
    I have had 661, Troy Lee before too
    £45 rrp I think

Leku
    Free Member

IXS flow + 1

Love mine.

wl
    Free Member

Thanks for these. How’s the sizing on those Flows? Generous? Buy my usual, or go up or down a size. Still interested to hear from others. Ta v much.

marco
    Free Member

Buy usual.
    They seem quite tight at first but soon loosen up. They are ace. Ive done full days in Alps, Wales, Scotland and honestly forgot they are on.
    Lovely

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ooo, pretty much same question from me really. My Kyles have been going for years, but they really are falling apart now and need replacing but obviously they don’t do them any more. Really just want something as nice as the Kyles were. Nice fit, well vented but good firm large pad over the knee, and able to stay in place without cutting off the blood supply and are adjustable at both ends. I don’t like ones with just an elastic cuff at one or both ends with no adjustment.

Also got some TLD shock doctor pads, which are nice if a little small, but not adjustable.

binners

Try the Troy Lee KG5450’s. They’re brilliant. I’ve never been a fan of knee pass, but you genuinely forget you’ve got these things on!

Northwind

661 Rage is their replacement- I’ve got a couple of sets, they’ve been great so far. Bit lighter and more vented than the kyle straits but same pad layout. Only downside is that the more open back-of-knee gapes a little bit so stuff can fall in, dirt and dust, so that can be chafey- but I’ve only really noticed that a couple of times. Very good, anyway, I think a bit better overall than the old straits.

jimjam
    Free Member

My Fox launch have been great. Hammered to bits over two years, still going strong. Comfy too.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Troy Lee 5400 knee pads, not ridden with them yet but felt comfy on but there’s no strap to adjust them. Feel pretty sturdy and I’d say you could ride all day with them on without having to take them off or drop them round your ankles for the uphills like other pads. I had to go down a size over my last set of 661s though.

prawny

What size are you I’ve got some Kyle Straits that I want rid off.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Troy lee KG5450 are great.As said above.Now £55 year ago were £45.

wl
    Free Member

cheers all – helpful stuff.

Prawny – not sure what size and I’m not able to check right now. Probably medium. I might come back to you once I’ve looked at a couple of the alternatives. What size are yours and how much are you looking for? Are they in good nick? Thanks.

jedi

scott rocket pads. mine still look new after 18 months!

prawny

Mine are a small, but I could do with smaller, and my legs aren’t particularly small. They’ve been worn but are in good nick, hoping for £20 posted. Email is in my profile if you’re interested. Let me know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads – what's 661's Kyle Strait equivalent, or recommend an alternative?’ is closed to new replies.