Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Knee pads recommendation
  • adam123
    Free Member

Am after a first set of knee pads. Generally haven’t felt the need before though have had a couple of minor offs recently involving slamming the insides of both knees against the cross bar.

So looking for something with a little padding on the sides, and otherwise good to wear on all day rides. Generally a fair mileage (20-30) and lots of trails.

Was looking at IXS Flows but read that they don’t have any padding round the sides.

Any other recommendations?

spudly1979
    Free Member

im currently using 661 rage, they have padding on front and sides. quite a snug fit, but fairly comfy for all day riding

downhilldave

Got some Troy Lee KG 5450 and they are superb, very comfortable on big/short rides and they stay put. The only downside is you have to put them on before you put your shoes on, and you need the correct size for them to be secure. I followed the Crc size guide and they were fine. They wash fine too 😉

thered

I like my Dainese trailskins but I’ve only used 661 Kyle straits aside from them and the 661’s were never used when pedaling.

grahamt1980

I have tried the 661 EVO’s and the Scott grenades. Both d3o pads but the grenades are way better. Nice bit of padding at the sides and comfy

richwales

Dainese trailskins are very good. Lightweight but plenty enough protection on the knee cap and sides for regular trail riding. They have perforations in the front so you get good air flow through so no sweat build up.

dancingjames
    Free Member

I got some POC pads recently, very happy with them, comfy and barely aware they are there.

Northwind

One thing to watch for, quite a lot of the pads with D30-alike material can’t be machine washed, which imo rules them out, no sense in mountain biking kit that’s hard to live with (some folks do machine wash them but supposedely it damages the pad material)

I just got a couple of sets of the 661 Rage- the replacement for the old Kyle Strait, they’re a little bit better- the “sleeve” is better ventilated and has a larger hole in the back for ventilation, I find them all-day comfy (even wore them for a 7 hour solo xc race) and they’re well priced. Good allround protection, I’d get them again. Only downside is that big open rear panel- sometimes debris can get inside! But that’s not happened often

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+1 for the troy lee 5450 started using them after 661 Kyle straits
    Less padding but much nicer when pedalling dont slide down etc. check the size guide carefully.

andybrad

the d3o material can be washed. however its limited to 40 washes on my raceface indy pads!!!

chrishc777
    Free Member

661 rage, look good, good prtoection and I’ve worn them for 70 miles in the summer without any comfort issues, no slipping either

simon_g

Happy with my Troy Lees too, but not sure they’d have enough side padding. Haven’t seen anything else you’d wear for a longer ride though that would.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    One thing to watch for, quite a lot of the pads with D30-alike material can’t be machine washed,

661 d30 inserts are removable, so they’re all good for the machine. Used their elbow pads first time over the weekend, found them excellent.

Troy Lee 5450s – had a crash at the weekend, and ended up with two very sore, swollen knees – padding not quite enough on them for DH, I think.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

To be fair I’ve got the Troy Lee KG5400s and they are just the knee pads, not the added shins that the 5450 have. They’re light weight , barely noticeable when riding and can be worn all day easily. IMO they are a trail knee pad only due to the lightness off them. If you were looking at doing and DH riding then you’d be better looking at a more DH/Park focused pad.

BoardinBob

Liking my nukeproof ones. Very comfy and a great fit (large size)

Del

the d3o material can be washed

not according to the manufacturers it can’t, at least not the last time I looked at their site, about 6 months ago. they state that stuff manufactured with their gizz in it should be manufactured so the gizz bits are removable.

661 d30 inserts are removable

now that’s useful to know.

honourablegeorge

ultimateweevil – Member

To be fair I’ve got the Troy Lee KG5400s and they are just the knee pads, not the added shins that the 5450 have. They’re light weight , barely noticeable when riding and can be worn all day easily. IMO they are a trail knee pad only due to the lightness off them. If you were looking at doing and DH riding then you’d be better looking at a more DH/Park focused pad.

Should clarify – I caught my left knee on some hard part of the frame – coverage from the Troy Lees is good on the front of the kneecap itself, but where I got hit was on the side of the left kneecap, almost underneath it – the protection doesn’t quite warp around the knee enough, so it really only protects if you fall right on the knee.

Similarly, impact to the right knee was just above the kneecap, and again seemed to slip past the protection.

Yes, I particularly unlucky to get past the protection on both knees in the same crash. I have a gift.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads recommendation’ is closed to new replies.