Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knee pads / knee & shin pads
  • superstu
    Free Member

Hello everyone

Sorry for another what to buy thread…I’m looking at some more adventurous riding and want some protection. First time I’ve ever bought anything other than helmets and gloves so after opinions:
    1. Are hard “shell” knee pads a better bet then material only ones (if that makes sense)
    2. Is it worth having knee and shin protection or just knee?

Added to the above the normal what’s worth spending my money on would be appreciated….tall and thin if that makes a difference cut wise, although I imagine most are Velcro fastened so fairly flexible on size.

Thanks in advance

kimbers

Best to try before you buy as everyone’s knee, thigh, calf are different -a pad is no good if it slips down in a crash

I’m pretty happy with my Fox launch pros which have a plastic insert and offer plenty of protection
    I-ve got some Endura singletrack pads which have a softer insert but seem to fit a bit better and still offer good protection

Both pads can be worn all day, you sweat a bit more but generally don’t notice them one they are on

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Stu Iv tried various types of pads over the years depending on what type of riding im doing.
    i think that the long knee and shin hard shell pads are only really any good for DH riding or the sort of massive hike climb up with pads in your bag then put em on and blast down.

Tried some 661 Kyle Straights for a few years got fed up with the bulk.

Ended up with troy Lee KG5400. Lots of folk here recommended them.
    They have decent padding (less then the 661) but not bulky, and somewhere inside there a hard section knee cap protector.
    No velcro fasteners just stretchy in a tube shape.
    The fit is important so would probably be best trying in a shop rather than on line.
    Anything too big and bulky usually is a hindrance when climbing, and the take them off, put them on thing is a pain.
    Knee and shin are fine but they will be more restrictive, usually your knee is the first thing that goes down hard!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldtalent
    Free Member

I prefer knee/shin on the basis they can’t slide down so much when you crash, as well as offering better protection.
    I went for ixs cleavers and they did very well in a crash. My old 661 evo would have been around my ankles.

sideshow
    Free Member

I don’t get this modern trend of knee-only. Even if you are good enough to avoid pedal bites your shins can take a beating from flying rocks and of course in a crash.

Have had these for about 8 years now. I used to ride in them all day. For some reason as they’ve aged they started to rub a bit more, so I’m more inclined to carry up and put on at the top, but they’re very quick to clip on and off as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-racing-launch-knee-shin-guards-2016/rp-prod60811?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr7S-BRD96_uw9JK8uNABEiQAujbffFcfVqiXMsC5wi44LKkTNPEa1sbpczVl9jmm2codFW4aAmc78P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads / knee & shin pads’ is closed to new replies.