Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Knee pads as reviewed in new mag….who wears them?
  • kimbers

im too old not to, very rare that i bash my knee, but endura singletrack pads are very comfy, so its well worth it imho

kiwijohn

+1 for Troy Lee Speeds. Just enough protection to save your skin without being too bulky. Not too hot that you have to slide them down on every climb.

splashdown
    Free Member

Been wearing knee pads for mtb (XC, enduro, DH) on every ride for past 6 years and arm pads for past 4 years – now just part of routine kit for riding.

gonzy
    Free Member

i wear my raceface ambush d30 pads whenever i’m on the MTB

JackHammer

I have the previous itteration of the trail skins I think. Like hexagonal rubber donuts under a thick neoprene. Anyway, they’re much more comfy than the bluegrass bobcats ( ithink thats what they were called) they replaced, the bobcats were a proper thick pad probably for DH more than trail riding. Anyway they used to rub quite badly, especially in summer, giving me blisters.

The Dainese seem much more tight fitting and pliable, no rub yet and I’ve ridden them in minging gritty conditions. The sizing is quite tight, I have larges and I’m right on the upper limit of the size. The only annoying thing is when you crash, mud goes into the hexagons, then when you wash them the hexagons come away from the neoprene so you have to spend 10mins re-plug them through.

This is them Dainese trail skins

jairaj

Been wearing knee pads for all off road riding for ages now. Started off with 661 rages, at the time they were awesome but for pedally stuff there are much better alternatives now.

Been rocking TLD 5400 and 5450 for a while now and really like them. The 5450 feels barely any different to the 5400 so I recommend the 5450 for extra protection and stays in place a bit better. Had them for a few years now and the elastic is getting worn and doesn’t hold them up properly. Still in good shape just the elastic has worn out.

Still yet to read the knee pad test in the new mag but another set of TLD knee pads was high on my list.

bedfordrd

I’m a POC tart – and have the POC VDP Airs (as reviewed), the VPD 2.0 and the VPD 2.0 DH pads, all for both knee and elbow.

It’s the VPD Airs I use the majority of the time. Once they’re warmed up and pliable, you really don’t notice you’re wearing them. Adequate coverage (so far, at least…), and real all-day comfort. And they’re slim enough they fit under my Polaris ‘longs’ I use in the winter.

I won’t go on any ride without at least knee coverage: look after your knees – you’ll sure miss them when they’re gone!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anyone running the D30 Troy Lee Speed knee pads?

Always wondered – how does D30 deal with sharp impact? It’s the idea it’s designed for blunt impact that’s always put me off, living in a flinty area.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Did a 25 mile off-road commute each way today in my POC VPD AIR. Didn’t even notice them after ten minutes.

upshift
    Free Member

Does anyone riding with flats wear shinpads? After a few gouges from slipping off the pedals when I was a hooning yoof I’m keen to get some!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not very good at wearing pads other than when I’m on the big bike – I don’t really think about it despite people asking (a chap thought I was odd for not wearing them an Wharncliffe last weekend).

I may look at some of the more minimal trail pads.

Not work shin pads for a very very long time – I just accept the odd kiss from my flat pedals!

rascal
    Free Member

Managed to try quite a few pads on during a jaunt around the Lakes and Dales over last few days.
    They vary massively in terms of comfort, weight and level of protection so def a try before you buy scenario as described. The Fox Launch Enduro ‘pads’ are so thin they seem barely worth having. Like the POC ones and other faves were the RaceFace Indy pads not on the list – anyone have them/rate them? Is D30 generally a good thing and does it stand the test of time or get harder and do it’s job less well as a result of aging?

nach
    Free Member

I tried out the Dainese and the IXS ones for a couple of rides while Wil was testing them all. Neither set rubbed at all, which was a surprise – I usually wear pads and they usually rub. Body Glide solves that though.

Whether a given set of pads fits, slips, rubs etc. is a really individual thing though.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Still running a set of very old 661 Kyle Strait knee pads, but I think they’re finally for the bin. Benefit of hardshell pads is the dont catch and slide down your knees as easily as some of the others. I’ve got a huge scar on my left knee from crashing and having the pad slip down to my shin. The POC gear looks really good but pricey

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Rascal, I have race face Indy pads (as does my other half now).
    Had POC VPD 2 pads before, which were ok, but just a bit big and overkill for me. The raceface are much comfier, happy to wear them all day (have done 60+km rides in them). Never any issues, D30 doesn’t seem to harden with age (just with cold, so don’t leave them in the car between rides!)

strangey13
    Free Member

Dakine pads are nice and comfy too. The Slayer has enough knee and shin protection for most rides , the Hellion has bigger padding and side knee protection but still comfy to pedal in. I used to use Troy Lee and Fox but find the Dakine fit me a bit better.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I also wear TLD 5450s – last week I “loaned” them to my other half, she ended up wearing them round the shops after we stopped off on the way home, I waited till she got back in the car to point it out. Very comfy she says even if they are bit large for her.

Northwind

upshift – Member

Does anyone riding with flats wear shinpads? After a few gouges from slipping off the pedals when I was a hooning yoof I’m keen to get some!

Any time I wear shinpads, I get pedal deathspikes in the calf instead 🙄 And some of the worst “pedal strikes” I’ve had were pushing bikes around the garage. At this point my legs look like the somme so I’ve given up.

ehrob

Been loving my Dakine Slayers. Sadly though, I think I picked the wrong size! As the weather has recently been a bit warmer they’ve caused a bit of a rash.

So I’ve order the next size up, as well as some IXS Flows.

Anyone running the Flows? What size are you using? At 5 foot 9 and with pretty average legs, the size chart is suggesting XL’s, which seems a bit ridiculous.

prawny

I’ve not worn shinpads since I was in my teens pretending to be Martyn Ashton. Had the worst shin/pedal interface ever the other week when I was trying to do a CX dismount and jump over a fallen tree. I swear it would have hurt less just to ride into it.

Just had some raceface indy’s come today, look decent in the packet will try them on on my lunch break

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads as reviewed in new mag….who wears them?’ is closed to new replies.