Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • knee pad time… any recommendations?
  • alpin
    Free Member

so after five years of regular abuse my 661 Straits (now renamed Rage) have almost had it. the neoprene has been torn and chewed by the pedals and the elastic has lost its elasticity.

i’m now after a replacement set of knee pads. i don’t want the robocop style full shin/knee pads.

i recently bought the GF a set of Fox Launch pads (they come up very small; she has L/XL) and i like them. they offer a little more protection than the Straits, but i find them a little tight, even in the larger size. they pinch the back of my knee when i’m sat down pedalling.

has anyone a set of the Nukeproof pads? they look similar to the Fox Launch pads and the reviews on CRC are – bar one- positive.

still like my Strait pads and would buy again as they’ve served their time and did their job.

if anyone has any recommendations i’d be happy to hear about them.

cheers

widge34
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the Nukeproofs, hopefully will have them soon.

FuzzyWuzzy

g-form if you want comfortable pedalling for a little trade off in the protection

Coyote
    Free Member

If they still do them, Race Face Digs. Good protection, hardly noticeable. Sorted.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nukeproof. They offer loads more protection than my old Kyle Straits, they’re just as comfy and stay up better too.

Riksbar

My Nukeproofs arrived Monday. First pads for years and only one ride but they feel good so far, noticeable standing up, but not at all riding. I do have thunder thighs (21″) and the XL are comfortable.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Don’t got for any with ‘d30’ in…

I have some and anything below 10 degrees temp and they go solid and they dig in at the top of my shins…

Mate of mine has Digs and rates them…

Nother mate has the 661 Rage and rates them too…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

g-form if you want comfortable pedalling for a little trade off in the protection

+1. Wear em for full day rides dont even know theyre there. Thixotropic ala 661 Evo, POC VPD but simpler (thixo rubber stitched to lycra sock so its like wearing leg/arm warmers, but with protection). In black they look a little less ninja-turtle too.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Digs are OK but TLD t-bones are my current favorite.

seavers
    Free Member

I use the Nukeproofs, really good pads. Don’t slip, feel great. I would recommend. Only feel them while walking or standing up on the bike but not in a bad way. While riding they are spot on. Done some rides in the recent hot weather too, they were fine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I just ordered some Fox Launch and sent them back, as the back of the knee was too tight, and I know it’ll annoy me. It’s a shame as other than that they were perfect. Fox needs to make the material behind the knee more stretchy IMO.

I may order some NP ones to try instead.

alpin
    Free Member

yup.. same for me. i like the Launch pads but their sizing is a bit on the tight size. luckily the L/XL fit my GF’s lady legs perfectly.

bone_idle
    Free Member

+1 for RF diggs very comfy not been crash tested yet

gsp1984
    Free Member

Poc VPD2… Tried everything, not much compared. Money no object get poc

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

661 evo knee are superb

meribelmtb
    Free Member

+1. Wear em for full day rides dont even know theyre there. Thixotropic ala 661 Evo, POC VPD but simpler (thixo rubber stitched to lycra sock so its like wearing leg/arm warmers, but with protection). In black they look a little less ninja-turtle too.

Agree with this. When I’ve bailed they seem to do the job plus I can ride with them all day without noticing them too much. Elbow pads are the same.

r300chris
    Free Member

Avoid Enduro MT500, not comfy and have worn my knee skin away… I bought my wife Troy Lee Shock Doctors, she loves them. Will be replacing my Enduro pads with some soon. She also has the elbows to match.

jedi

scott grenades for me

saxabar
    Free Member

Had a pair of 661 D3s which were great, but tried the new ones and wasn’t so keen. I suspect they may slide around a bit. Bought the Nukeproofs in medium and they feel great. They’re a snug fit but I suspect they’ll loosen up a little. Lots of knee protection on the sides as well as well as in case of square impacts. I’m not sure I’d be keen on them if doing as much climbing as well as descending, but given that you’re guiding in the Alps they should be spot on.

alpin
    Free Member

should have said… not looking to ride uphill with them.

rodes are more a two hour wich and grind and half hour drop back into the valley…

a friend has the d3 (evo… pads with liquid inner that goes hard on impact?) and having tried them i don’t find them that comfy….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘knee pad time… any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.