Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Knee Pad Suggestions
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have been looking at getting some knee pads and have considered the main contenders recommended i.e. 661 , Fox and Endura. None of these is designed to be put on without taking your shoes off however and would like a set that I could carry in my pack and put on quickly at the top of a technical descent.

Any suggestions?

bruneep

kyle straits work for me

jam-bo

endura make knee pads?

wwaswas

tbh, you’d be better getting a set you can wear for the whole ride and not bother with the faff at the top and bottom of every downhill bit.

You can almost guarantee you’ll fall off on a flat bit and bash your knee too.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

kyle straits work for me

Do they fit without taking your shoes off? i.e. just wrap around the knee and fix with the velcro straps?

midlifecrashes

No, you put your foot through. They are comfy enough for longer rides though.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

just wear them for the entire ride – TLD are good as are 661s

rocketman
    Free Member

you’d be better getting a set you can wear for the whole ride

^^ this

Fox Launch Pro. You know you’re wearing them but only in the same way you know you’re wearing undercrackers

Fluff66
    Free Member

Kyle Straits – worn em for up to 10 hour bike rides. Occasionally rub

Usually don’t

Side protection aswell as front protection

Don’t tend to rotate as much on initial impact as others I have used

Don’t slide down your legs

I’ve been considering the TLD ones as an alternative – not sure why though as the KSs have served me well. I’m on my second pair. Reasonably long lasting (for 661 stuff)

jedi

scott grenade pads = bestest

randomjeremy
    Free Member

fluff i just bought some TLDs, they have a slightly flatter profile than the 661s but seem just as comfy. Better made, definitely.

billysugger
    Free Member

jedi for the win

torsoinalake
    Free Member

For reference, my O’Neal Sinner pads fell apart on the first ride. 14kms of trail centre mincing and the stitching on the right pad had blown apart. Didn’t even crash in them.

Now to find out how good Actionsports.de is at returns.

Fluff66
    Free Member

@randomjeremy

Excellent – The flatter (less bulky) profile was what was attracting me to them. I was also fairly confident that they would last longer than 661 gear

You may be able to answer a question for me then. What’s the sizing like? Currently using med Kyle Straits which are a good fit on fairly skinny legs

forzafkawi
    Free Member

randomjeremy,

Are the Troy Lee pads you are talking about these ones?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59945

As they have no velcro straps do they stay in place okay and do you think they may stretch and slip over time?

xcgb
    Free Member

My mates reckon these troy lee ones are the nuts, i may get some myself

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25232

ridingscared
    Free Member

lots of talk for the POC knee as well though pricey.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@Fluff66 – I use large kyle straits and went for large TLDs – the TLDs are a bit snugger – but this could be because they’re new and not shagged out like my 661s 🙂 If you can try before you buy I would.

@forzafkawi – no they’re the ones xcgb posted, TLD t-bones

forzafkawi
    Free Member

randomjeremy,

There seem to be two types of TLD T-Bones that I have come across, the CRC ones and these:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Troy%20Lee-Troy-Lee-T-Bone-Knee-Guard_16411.htm

What is the difference?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

They look the same to me, one just has a grey logo, one black

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Having worn the 661s and tried on the TLDs, I’d have no hesitation recommending the Kyle Straits. Far comfier, in my humble opinion.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

None of these is designed to be put on without taking your shoes off however and would like a set that I could carry in my pack and put on quickly at the top of a technical descent.

For this I have some Dianese (sp?) 4X pads, that velcro round the back. Roachs look good too, and have the benefit that they cover all of your shin – good when riding in places with loads of loose rock.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Thanks randomjeremy

@ridingscared
    I tried the POC ones on at sleepless and to me they seemed to have very poor side protection – compared the Troy Lee T bones or the Kyle Straits which seem to be better designed in that respect

(& like you said, the price is a bit OTT )

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Several people have commented that the TLD pads come up small. I’m 6′ 4″ of average build but not massive legs. Anyone else this sort of size got the TLD T-Bones and have an opinion on the fit?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Got some POC knee/shin pads, I have to say not very impressed with comfort as they tend to wear bits of me away with chaffing on long rides.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Ming- sell those pads to me then please- I don’t do long rides!!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

POC!!! end of topic!!

simply the best better than all the rest

vinnyeh

got some large POC Joint VPD Knees available if anyone wants them- see my classified listing 😉

ridingscared
    Free Member

you’ve been let down a few times on those pocs vinnyeh- I’ll try them for £25 payapl gift? email in profile.

Northwind

POC knee isn’t up to the standard of the Kyle Straits IMO- better made and better materials but not as well designed, coverage isn’t as good but enclosure is greater making them sweatier. They’re a lot slimmer though and harder wearing. I love POC’s hard kit but the soft stuff isn’t up to the same standard IMO.

Kyle Straits are bulky, that’s their only downside but otherwise they’re great- inexpensive, good protection (not just front but side also) and all-day wearable- I’ve worn mine for XC racing, and for 6 days out of 7 in france for long long hot rides. The bulk’s only an issue if you want to wear them under trousers and that’s a bit weird 😉

jedi

northwind, kyle straits are emant for wearing under jeans. thye’re a dj pad

Northwind

Aye, but they’re crap for it unless you wear massive jeans and even then they’re draggy. The POCs are about half as thick.

pastcaring
    Free Member

coverage isn’t as good but enclosure is greater making them sweatier.

i have both,the poc padded bit is a good 3rd bigger than the KS, both in length and width. the KS is an inch longer over all. the KS has more side padding than the poc. imo the poc raps around the knee better negating the need for the extra side padding. i agree they’re a bit sweatier. found the KS to pinch a little at the back of the knee, where the poc’s don’t.

had a big otb on a steep rock section at mt. creek. (where the US open is held) front wheel got jammed between two rocks and pole vaulted me into the air 😀 landed on one knee in the rocks from a long way up. the poc pads worked great and i was glad i had them on over the KS.

i guess it’s like most things, personal preference…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anyone running 661 Evos? Any thoughts?

Fluff66
    Free Member

The EVO stuff doesn’t work well for high speed impacts as it takes a short time for the material to react. I’ve also heard it’s not as effective against sharp objects

votchy
    Free Member

Have seen people wear the kyle straits pushed down and round to the side of their shins whilst pedalling then pull them into place at the top of the downhill bits, I just leave them on all the time, occasionally get a bit of chafing on the lower inner lobe of my quads just by my knee cap but only rarely.

tracknicko
    Free Member

kyle straight offers significantly less impact protection that tld t bone IMO.

comfier to wear, and thats because they use a less dense foam on the sides, and a thinner, more flexible plastic on the front.

fine for xc, but if you’re seriously wanting protection then in my experience no good. at all.

(still having serious knee issues following shattered patella in 2009 – wearing kyle straights at the time…)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pad Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.