• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Knee pad recommendations. For pedaling but still with protection.
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So since I’ve gone all enduro-gnar-core recently (read: I’ve pedaled round cannock a couple of time and climbed a hill or two for the first time in living memory…) I require some for of knee protection that isn’t my ancient nukeproof knee pads that look like they had some sofa in their ancestry.

Can any one recommend some knee protection that is:

– Knee only (shins are too far gone to worry about)
    – Comfortable and light enough / not restrictive to pedal in.
    – Have sufficient protection that they can be use for the rare occasion I do any DH or DJ.
    – Stay put and don’t have straps in poorly located places.

Thanks in advance

thepurist

I’d suggest 2 sets, one to pedal in with lighter protection and one for full enduro gnarr. Just got some dainese trail skins for the first of those and they seem to fit the bill for pedalling without discomfort or cooking my knees.

Northwind

I’d suggest one set of proper pads tbh, all decent pads are fine to pedal all day in, as long as they fit and are in good condition. Something like a 661 Rage is perfect for what you need but sizing/fitment is important too- everyone makes a pad like this, for good reason.

All these minimalist pads that people are pissing about with offer barely any benefits and massive amounts of drawback. Quite a few are actually more restrictive and sweatier, because smaller pads with less straps tend to have to be tighter to stay on, and they’re harder to ventilate (the massive hole in the back of a Rage, compared to the complete “knee warmer” design of a Gform or similiar…) Also bear in mind side protection, some of these smaller ones have none at all and the side of the knee is quite easy to upset.

All IMO of course but if I can solo a 7 hour race or ride all day all weekend in my Rages and the old Kyle Straits, I’ve no idea why less protection is desirable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’ve been using fox launch pro’s for years and swear by them as they actually stay in place when you do crash and comfortable enough to pedal in on 20 mile rides. However I’m liking the look of the Ion K pact knee pads to try when my current ones wear out. They use one of those fancy none Newtonian polymers that is soft & pliable ‘at rest’, so comfortable to pedal in, but hardens on impact. It’s the same stuff that a lot of the top end motorbike kit manufacturers use, so if it can cope with 80mph road crashes, I reckon it can cope with me mincing down some black runs

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

After reading some ‘what knee pad’ posts on here last year I bought some POC pads,I can pedal all day in them & I survived a few a few crashes in them last summer.They’re not very ‘Enduro’ but neither am I..

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not too keen on the ‘tube sock with the toes cut off and a slightly thicker patch on the knee’ type design ones.

I’m looking for something more like the 661 rage / Fox launch etc just maybe the slimmer end of that spectrum (moon/stick).

honourablegeorge

I really like the Leatt 3DFs (I have the older version of the ones below)

Plenty light for pedalling, but proper full-on protection. They sit away from the knee slightly, so there’s no pressure on the kneecap – I find that causes pain for me after a while. That said, several people on here have said they hate them for that exact reason. Personal taste is tricky.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/leatt-knee-guard-3df-5-0-2016/rp-prod138116

jam-bo

dainese trail skins are good.

ekul
    Free Member

Knee pads are pretty subjective I find. Loads of people rave about the Dainese Trailskins but when I tried some I found that in order for them to fit my legs they were really baggy on my knees themselves. So wasn’t convinced by their protective qualities in a crash and was also worried about rubbing on the knee.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought some poc vpd 2’s. Pretty chunky but really comfy and I don’t find them overly hot.

Best going somewhere you can try a few I reckon.

jam-bo

are you saying I’ve got fat knees?

andyl
    Free Member

I use 661 Kyle Straits which were recommended on here but are sadly discontinued. Been very happy with them having never used pads before due to being worried about being restricted, hot etc but I do 30+ mile rides and don’t give them a second thought other than they occasionally slip down. Only problem is the fabric sides are getting a bit cut up on the bike side so they must be catching on something when riding or stopped. Will be looking at the other 661 pads to see if anything is very similar when they inevitably die but I expect another year out of them.

I did try some D30 pads at the time but preferred the Kyle straits.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro look bulky but are unobtrusive when riding.

Seem to fit most people well too.

I’ve tried slimmer pads (TLD KG4500) but they don’t really do the job in a crash.

rocketman
    Free Member

7 iDP Flex

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Check sizing and measure carefully. POC seem to be the only ones that fit me. I have big calves relative to my thighs.

Northwind

Oh, one thing to add is washability- quite a few of the clever custard-pads can’t be machine washed. Whether that bothers you is up to you but to me riding kit you can’t easily wash is useless…

@andyl, the Rage soft is basically the new Kyle Strait- very similiar sizing, coverage etc. Only major difference is the back is more vented and open. Which actually is annoying sometimes as the knee hole is so open and well vented, dirt and such can fall in the hole! The outer fabric seems a little tougher but the inside stuff still wears and bobbles up in much the same way so they can go chafey after a lot of use…

andyl
    Free Member

@andyl, the Rage soft is basically the new Kyle Strait- very similiar sizing, coverage etc. Only major difference is the back is more vented and open. Which actually is annoying sometimes as the knee hole is so open and well vented, dirt and such can fall in the hole! The outer fabric seems a little tougher but the inside stuff still wears and bobbles up in much the same way so they can go chafey after a lot of use…

I was wondering that, cheers.

Seemed a bit silly mentioning a product that is no longer made (unless you can find new old stock) but I thought they might be similar to the new ones so thought it worth mentioning. Certainly not as expensive as options like POC too.

I bought a range from CRC, tried them for fit and kept the best. Sizing can be very different over brands. Race Face seem a bit small to me.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Had Straits for years and just swapped to ixs flows and so far so good. Good fit and comfortable. I have done five plus hours rides in them with no rubbing and movement. Haven’t crashed in them yet so can’t say for that aspect.

austy
    Free Member

Second a set of ixs flow pads, wore them for 5 hours around glentress yesterday forgot they were on, didn’t slip or move. I think they also come up small on the sizing I had to up a size on the elbow, could’ve gone up another size I reckon too.

philstone

7iDP Convert… You can adjust the level of protection ranging from simple light foam, all the way up to hard plastic cup.. I’ve used TLD 5450s, iXS Daggers and a good few others, but these are amazing as a 1 pad to do it all..

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from Straits to IXS Slope-series EVO – no longer a current model, but still available. Definitely up a step in protection from Kyle Straits, but at least as comfy, probably more so.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I had a look at the IXS Flows but the lack of a upper strap put me off.

Im quite long in the leg but not that bulk so I usually find I need a bigger size for the coverage and then need to do the straps up tight to try and hold it in place.

The 7 iDP look pretty good as do the Leatt ones – I have Leatt body armour and that’s been pretty good too.

rocketman
    Free Member

Definitely have a look at the 7 iDP Flexes if you have long legs. There’s a bit more of them above the knee compared to most, one of the reasons I like them

lucky7500

I use a pair of 661 Rage (hard version) and would definitely recommend them based on your description. Much like Northwind said above, I also use them for everything and completely forget that I have them on after a couple of minutes.
    I have a set of TLD 5450’s as well but don’t get on with them at all. These things are obviously subjective but I find that the lack of straps means that they constantly rub on my knees as my legs move up and down. Plus, being relatively tall the ‘shin’ protection does nothing of the sort!

funkhouser
    Free Member

trailskins

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions having measured my legs and had a good scout around I’ve opted to order some 7iDP Flex as the sizing is actually quite close to the actual relative size of my legs and they look like they might stay up!

I’ll report back for round two when they don’t fit!

funkhouser
    Free Member

i bought some of them 7idp flex pads. they’re pretty heavy duty and despite the name, not very flexy! cant wear them on pedally days but great for uplifts.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

A few of the reviews said they take a while to bed in / loosen up but are excellent in the long run.

gonzy
    Free Member

raceface ambush d30 knee pads are very good

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Knee pad recommendations. For pedaling but still with protection.’ is closed to new replies.