Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knee Pad Nasties.
  • squoglybob
    Free Member

I’m sure that most of you will have seen the knee pad wearing ENDURO’ists prancing about like dressage horses with knee pads hanging around their ankles whilst off the bike?

Well, after a recent trip to the Alps where i thought i’d best invest in some knee protection i decided against this new look and wore mine in situ for 10 days, obviously i took them off for bed etc but but refused to become one of the new trend setters by pottering about the bars, cafe’s and fernicular stops with them loose around my feet.

WELL, DO NOT……. Do as i have, some of you may know this aready, i have aquired an almighty sweat rash on, behind and above my knees. Its nasty and sore.

Just thought i’d share this as clearly its not as daft as it looks wearing pads around kankles…..

z1ppy

sounds more a fitting issue, wore RF knee pads for a week in Morzine with issue, and wear G-forms light pads for all my other riding. What’s the point in having pads, then not wearing them properly (on the bike)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get some Assos chamois cream on beforehand. I too slip mine down rounf my ankles when not riding, or when on a particularly long climb, just to get some air and stop any potential rubbing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

squoglybob – Member
    I’m sure that most of you will have seen the knee pad wearing ENDURO’ists prancing about like dressage horses with knee pads hanging around their ankles whilst off the bike?

Well for that lin alone you deserve all you got 🙂

squoglybob
    Free Member

Which bit ?

It’s not a fit issue as they are very comfy, FOX launch I think, Neoprene style with soft padding over the knee. Not clumbersome at all, no Velcro or hard plastic just something which might ward off a glancing blow or gravel rash.

I also saw the the off the knee look whilst pedalling.

It was fine even a few days after coming back whilst wearing cargo shorts etc but when I went back to work and had to wear trousers that’s when the itching erupted.

Any way, thanks for the tip re chamois cream I’ll try that.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Also, pop them in the washing machine or at least rinse them out in the shower to get rid of the sweat and dirt every few days.

Lester
    Free Member

i sometimes wear a sleeve type bandage under mine, and wash and change that regularly

stewartc
    Free Member

Been getting bad rashes from my RF knee pads recently only after about 5 hours of riding, will try the chamois cream option and see if that helps.

roverpig

I’ve taken to wearing 3/4 bibs in summer (bib longs in winter) under my pads, which has made a huge difference to my comfort.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Regular washing of both knee and pads helps reduce this. Also a few companies (Muck Off for one) sell antibacterial sprays to kill off the wee beasties breeding in our pads. Even the best fitting pads are the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, etc.

Tom KP

Northwind

661 Rages have very open back-of-knees. I just wear mine normally all the time, never felt the need for the shins thing really.

Also,

iainc

roverpig – Member

I’ve taken to wearing 3/4 bibs in summer (bib longs in winter) under my pads, which has made a huge difference to my comfort.

I wondered about that – don’t the pads slip down if not in contact with hairy legs ?

IdleJon

roverpig – Member

3/4s, pads, then shorts? Don’t you roast? That’s more layers than I wear through the winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pad Nasties.’ is closed to new replies.