Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Knee pad etiquette?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

After a couple of recent minor tumbles I’m trying to get into the habit of wearing knee pads. Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere, that under no circumstances should there be any bare skin visible between the top of ones pads and the bottom of ones shorts.

Being sunny today and wearing pads I ditched my usual 3/4 padded kecks and donned a pair of Endura liner thingys. This left me with a milk bottle white, fleshy gap between my pads and shorts when pedalling.

Am I doomed to be stoned on sight by the more fashion conscious riders amongst us or do I just mtfu and pedal faster?

jam-bo

Knee pads and lycra? Stone him.

Or buy some decent shorts…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think you’ll look just fine.

(We are talking about roller derby here aren’t we?)

Superficial
    Free Member

Knee pads and lycra?

😯

svalgis
    Free Member

Oh, the **** gap. Yeah you will have to do something about that if you’re even slightly likely to be seen, on or off the bike. Before I could afford new shorts to remedy the situation I used a black sharpie on the visible portion of skin to at least reduce the viewing distance from which the gap is apparent. It worked okay as long as I didn’t stop long enough for anyone to properly inspect me.

If you are indeed using lycra and knee pads together it won’t make a bit of difference though. **** sake man.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hang in a minute, easy now lads!

Lycra?

Nobody mentioned lycra. These are just the click fast liners that come with the Humvees but wearing them under my Addicts. You can’t even see them.

It’s a pure short/pad interface issue. Fine off the bike, skin on show on the bike. Looks like I need some new longer shorts.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Or just wrap some black electrical tape round the gap?

slowoldman

Nobody mentioned lycra. These are just the click fast liners that come with the Humvees but wearing them under my Addicts.

Oh well that was clear!!

warpcow
    Free Member

****-gap is the preferred nomenclature. Makes for an awesome tan.

kayak23

I can’t look you in the eye…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Fast liners? The inners you mean? … That is lycras evil sister and under no circumstances to be shown on its own …its the very reason why baggy pants is invented to cover that hideous but necessary thingy! Let alone with knee pads

*speaks to butler*
    Alfred, would you fetch my bloody stone in my mancave please 👿

singlespeedstu

Do you also have a wonky helmet?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Depends how tight his shorts are 🙄

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Only because my head is wonky.

Looks like this is a bigger taboo than I originally reckoned!

Just to reiterate, at no point are my padded liner/kecks/padded knickers/padded/fast click/fast mesh inners or whatever you want to call them on show to anyone. They’re always covered by my shorts.

Need to find some longer shorts that cover the ****gap.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Ahhh …

*speaks to butler*
    Alfred, you may return these stones to my mancave now please.

…rule of thumb is skin exposed not need to be more than 1mm ** 😛

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Current gap is approximately 1 inch whilst pedalling, no gap when stationary.

I need to find another 24.4mm from somewhere.

wallop

Sounds like your shorts are too short, sir.

singlespeedstu

OP is this you? 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s hora I think.

Superficial
    Free Member

Ahh I see. So the shorts are constant but you’ve changed from 3/4 liners / bibs / whatever to shorter ones?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Haha, would love a pair of those.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    Ahh I see. So the shorts are constant but you’ve changed from 3/4 liners / bibs / whatever to shorter ones?

Sorry, yes. I should have explained it more clearly.

I usually wear 3/4 liners under my shorts which I tend to have sat around my knee. They’re too long to bunch up above the pad so swapped them for the padded liners that come with the humvees.

The padded liners are quite a bit shorter under my shorts, hence the ****gap.

New shorts required along with a better understanding of how to explain my clothing issues to fellow forum members in the future.

mcnultycop

If you ks tattoo the lower half of your upper leg black, then wear black pads, you won’t look daft.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Let me get this right:

Are you wearing padded lycra inners as knee pads?

singlespeedstu

how about these?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Knee pad etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.