Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knee Osteotomy Surgery
  • carlosg
    Free Member

Sorry wrong forum

Been to the hospital today and had some x-rays done and the consultant has told me I have osteoarthritis medially on both knees.

I first started with pain in my left knee in September last year and was given an Ossur sti brace after the physio diagnosed a stretched MCL , the brace has made things feel so much better but in July this year I started having problems with my right knee.

After having a fiddle with my knees (my they are a bit clunky aren’t they)he sent me for the x-rays and showed me the wear to the cartlidge, I’m getting another brace for the right hand side and will be back for re-assesment in about 6 months.

He also suggested knee osteotomy surgery as a fix that has had great results with patients. It looked a bit gruesome when he explained the procedure but having only ridden my bikes about 5 times this year I’m itching to get mobile again.

Anyone had the procedure or know someone who has that can give me some hope. I’m 45 and not ready for the scrapheap yet!!!!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few patients who have had it. They seem to do pretty well afterwards.

carlosg
    Free Member

Anyone else reassure me

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few patients who have had it. They seem to do pretty well afterwards.

Same here (in a research setting). As far as I understand it, it is a short to mid term delay of more severe degeneration rather than a “fix” or a “cure” as such. It also seems fairly recently that it has gotten more common so there probably isn’t too much long term information out there. There are lots of ways to “offset” medial compartment loading and this is one of them. The theory makes sense but in reality no-one is 100% sure of the mechanisms involved. There does seem to be some initial evidence that biological responses related to pain and inflammation alter with HTO which is promising. The main complications in my limited contact with this were to do with the screws interfering in daily life and/ or causing pain. They are not routinely removed as far as I know but would be with complications, much like any fracture fixation I guess. As I said, I’ve only come across this fleetingly and I would not take anything I’ve mentioned as gospel. It is important to discuss your expectations with the consultant and they are the ones to help you make an informed choice.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

i am booked in for a high tibial osteotomy on 15th of this month and I am shitting myself tbh.

My family have a bad history with knees. Dad has a plastic knee, younger brother has had a few clean ups from his days in the forces and my older brother is nearly as bad as me and he has already had THIS OPERATION 2 yrs ago.

I am being operated on by two consultants. One is pretty much the top guy in this field and the other is the guy who rebuilt my other knee when I ruptured the patella tendon a few years ago. Check out

http://www.cumbriankneeclinic.co.uk

My brothers reports are that although he wouldn’t say it improved his ability to do sport (tbh it never was gonna for him) it has improved the knee and he isn’t in so much pain. I was pessimistic with the consultants to the point I said I didn’t want the op as I figured I would just have a straighter leg with a crappy knee (I have knock knees). The consultants went to great lengths to convince me and gave examples of similar cases to me who I spoke to. One thing they said which stood out.

85% of cases reported being able to return to sport. The other 15% reported having a much improved knee with less pain but not quite able to get back to sport. I said what if I am in the 15% and Dawson replied, well isn’t that better than needing a new knee which is the next step. They also said this op doesn’t effect future replacement ops if needed.

Btw when I said I wasn’t sure what I wanted with the knee I was told that if I wanted to go down knee replacement I could.

Pm me direct if you want. I am looking at a few months of grief and then getting myself fit after 5yrs of lack of exercise (the right knee incident was even worse, it took me 12months to walk properly again after that). Had the pre med yesterday so it’s all systems go

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knee Osteotomy Surgery’ is closed to new replies.