Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Knee (just the one) pain after cycling.
  • sonnyjim
    Free Member

Having not been out on the bike for a couple of months for various reasons I’ve been out 3 times in the last 2weeks or so and each time I have been getting a sharp pain in my right knee. First ride it disappeared a day or so later, second ride it was a little sorer while riding and took a few days to get better, last ride it was quite sore again and hasn’t really got any better in the last two days.

It is quite a sharp pain beneath the kneecap its self, when I am not moving the joint there is no pain at all, it’s good in the morning but as the day progresses it gets worse to the point I have been sitting with a hot water bottle on it for the last 2 evenings.

I have not changed bikes, riding style etc and as its only 1 knee don’t think it’s anything I’m doing wrong/differently.

Next available appointment at the docs is next Thursday but I’m enjoying being back on the bike and had planned on being out this weekend. Is there a chance of doing further damage without getting this checked out first, I’m limping as it is.

Cheers

Sonnyjim

Onzadog
    Free Member

Andy Purit covers this year n his book. I think pain at the front is saddle too low, pain at the back is saddle too high.

However, I nigh have that the wrong way around but either way, internet diagnosis is worth exactly what you pay for it.

It probably is position related though. But it could be shoe alignment, weak core, leg length discrepency or a lack of conditioning.

flashes
    Free Member

Do you ride clipped in? I had a similar problem after one of my cleats came lose and I rode an hour flat out with my knee at an angle….

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Patellar tendonitis?

sonnyjim
    Free Member

No I don’t ride clipped in, if it is positional I don’t see what I’m doing different in the last few rides from before. Could have been done on the first ride and I am just agrivating it further before its recovered.

Will grin and bear it for the weekend see how it is I think.

Cheers

Sonnyjim.

creedy
    Free Member

Just had a similar experience. Off bike with various issues. Cut down my commuting distance as well. Back on bike to normal and both knees started giving me hassle. I found going to a higher gear than would normally use for a couple of days helped just get the leg muscles back into shape with less stress on the joints. Even if you feel like your spinning unnecessarily, it will help. It’s odd but a few weeks off can affect a lot of things around the joints. You may indeed have slightly shift the saddle a touch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Knee (just the one) pain after cycling.’ is closed to new replies.