Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Knee injury – what best to do?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Seems I have ‘Runners’ Knee’ according to Dr. Google; symptoms are spot-on and I run.

I’ve had it before and it’s previously cleared up within a day or two. However this time it keeps coming back, so obviously isn’t healing completely.

It’s not generally disabling, but has become more noticeable when descending and climbing stairs. Then at the weekend I turned quickly which caused a reasonable amount of pain (about 3-4 out of 10, if you’re a paramedic) and has prompted me to do something more positive about it.

Currently wearing a knee support (firm), resting leg more and warm/ice-packing (5 mins of each with a 2 min break between; doing that twice, twice a day) and on second day of that, which appears to be helping. Also seeing a sports therapist tomorrow to see what he recommends.

In the meantime any further ideas on ways to help speed up healing?

globalti
    Free Member

As the doctor always says: stop doing what makes it hurt.

….anyway why do you keep running when God gave Mankind the brains to invent bicycles?

footflaps

See a physio?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

….anyway why do you keep running when God gave Mankind the brains to invent bicycles?

😆

I do it to get out for a quick fix during the winter year-round filth without having to clean the bike afterwards.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

strengthen your vmo while not running

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

See a physio?

Going to see what therapist recommends tomorrow. If he recommends a physio then that’s where I’ll be going.

Edukator
    Free Member

After an injury a doctor with a good reputation for getting athletes back up to speed told me to walk as far as I could walk pain free regularly, and not to try running until I could walk for a couple of hours pain free. Initially I could walk about a hundred metres, a year later I started running again. I used to push a bike so I could ride home as soon as I felt discomfort.

woody21
    Free Member

Is it on the inside of the knee?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Age is not your friend here, injury more likely and recovery longer. Running is particularly hard on the joints. Buy a bike you don’t have to clean 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s a sports therapist ???

Is it some bloke down the pub who used to be a plumber who fancied a change ? Or are they a qualified erm physio?

Personally I would go and see a physio.

And not wear a knee brace that hasn’t been professionally fitted.

globalti
    Free Member

Buy a road bike that you can fit with mudguards in winter. You won’t have to clean it much.

woody21
    Free Member

I’m not a Dr but you may have a torn medial meniscus; I had similar symptoms / pain. If I am right, is there a prize?

jambalaya
    Free Member

If I am right, is there a prize?

Yes a free ne Junior Doctor’s contract, I hear there are 60,000 going spare

shermer75
    Free Member

Physiotherapist is a protected title (ie it is illegal to pretend to be one, same as being a doctor) sports therapist is not- although they are fighting to change that.

CountZero

Trouble with knee injury/damage is it can lead to bigger problems further down the road. I came off my SS at walking speed, having just turned off the road onto a shared use cycle path, my left knee hit the ground pretty hard, and caused significant discomfort ever since, this is about four years now. I’ve recently had an X-ray and I have osteoarthritis in three places on that knee, predominantly right under the impact point.
    As a wise man said above, if it hurts doing something, stop doing what makes it hurt!

welshfarmer

In my experience (considerable knee issues over the years), time is the only healer. Time, and not dancing like a loon after a bottle of red just when you think it is better. Doctors do nothing other than send you to a physio or maybe an MRI scan 4 months later when it is all better. Physio will only give you a few exercises you will probably already be doing if you want to get back to normal, ASAP

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is it on the inside of the knee?

Yes.

I’m not a Dr but you may have a torn medial meniscus; I had similar symptoms / pain. If I am right, is there a prize?

😆 I suspect you are on the money. 🙂

He’s trained in various sports therapies (unsurprisingly) including body alignment, massage and kinesiology taping; he’s currently training in acupuncture. I currently get sports massage from him, but he’s also correctly diagnosed another running issue that several physios, a biomechanic and a podiatrist didn’t pick up, so I have an element of faith in him.

However, if he recommends a physio that’s where I’ll be heading! (He’s recommended other practictioners (sp?) in the past)

As a wise man said above, if it hurts doing something, stop doing what makes it hurt!

He is indeed wise. It’s what I’ve been doing since it went ‘ping!’ over the weekend. 🙂

Doctors do nothing other than send you to a physio or maybe an MRI scan 4 months later when it is all better. Physio will only give you a few exercises you will probably already be doing if you want to get back to normal, ASAP

That’s pretty much my experience with the aforementioned running injury (pain on inside of calves, which I recently discovered has actually have been caused by underdeveloped glutes, 16 years after they first appeared)

footflaps

Sports Therapy is currently unregulated in the UK, although it is generally accepted that training should be at a minimum of University Undergraduate Level – see FAQ above. The remit of sports therapist may be described as having the requisite knowledge and skills to help individuals and teams progress from being able to perform normal daily physical functions to more complex activities involved in sport. This will involve practitioners having a comprehensive understanding of human anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, healing, exercise, nutrition, the effects of exercise, and being able to form an appropriate treatment plan utilising a range of interventions for the promotion of healing and/or athletic performance.

Physiotherapy has a broader scope of practice addressing the needs of a much wider population and range of conditions which are not solely related to increased physical activity. These may include degenerative and medical disorders with the remit of helping individuals return to being able to perform normal daily functions/activities. Training will include medicine and a wider range of manual therapy interventions, although with much less reliance on soft tissue therapy. A full undergraduate programme normally lasts for 4 years and includes field practice in an NHS environment for 12 months. Physiotherapy is nationally regulated in the UK and therefore only those successfully completing minimum training to University Undergraduate level via an approved programme are eligible to practice using the title Physiotherapist. There is consistently strong demand to enter this profession and therefore both the academic standards and numbers of applicants are high.

http://www.sportstherapyuk.com/faqs

I see a Sports Therapist and he’s as good as any Physio I’ve seen for Sports injuries…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Knee injury – what best to do?’ is closed to new replies.