Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Knee Arthroscopy – Exercises and cycle fitness
  • teenrat

I had a knee arthroscopy yesterday and had a partial removal of the meniscus. Ive been told i can start riding again 4 to 6 weeks. However, before the op, i was as bike fit as i have ever been. How quickly does bike fitness get lost? what effect will not riding at all for a month have? Is there anything i can do to in terms of exercising the muscles without stressing the knee or is it a case of working hard once the knee is fixed to regain the fitness?

danjthomas
    Free Member

I had it done in July. Rode a few times early September. Simular op but no meniscus removed. As the meniscus is load bearing I guess it will be a case of riding when it feels ok. You might be asked to ride earlier with the seat down and then up for a few mins to break down scar tissue.

I found the only thing I could do was basic weights after a week or so. Just enjoy the time off the bike as I found there are other things to do even though I can’t wait to get on it this weekend.

iainc

I’ve had 3 knee arthroscopicies, 2 one side, 1 the other. Biggest change for me was learning to spin at high cadence, which in my case put much less strain on the joints. Was off bike for around 6 weeks each time and on returning was very much gentle stuff for fear of falling on a knee..

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I had a partial removal of my meniscus and washout 21st of December 2013, I got out on the bike on the 11th January and did 2.5 miles of flat riding in the park. On the 15th I did my first of road ride and managed 5 miles. It took till March to get to the 10 mile Mark.

The first few rides I tried to spin and not put any pressure through the operated knee. If you feel comfortable go for it. But don’t mash the pedals in hard gears and avoid standing up on the pedals.

Took me a while to get fully fit. But I had a fair few issues with my left knee last year. Broken fibula, torn ligaments.

My first ride this morning after tearing my Achilles tendon in June. So I’ll be doing the same as I mentioned above.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Took me 10-12 weeks to get enough flexibility to get it over TDC let alone be comfortable. At 6 weeks I could just about walk on it.

Forget about cycling for a few months, take up swimming as soon as the scars heel over and stick to front crawl as it puts less strain on the knee than breastroke. Trying to ride a bike any serious distance was fustrating for at least a year.

And remember, the Drs view of cycling is a pootle round the park with the kids, so when they say you can get out dont push it and try doing 100mile epics.

When it came to getting fit on the bike again the best method I found was lots of short rides (<5 miles) like commuting, and do them as often as the discomfort allowed, then as the pain dropped id be doing it both ways every day, then start edgeing up the distance. One tip would be that the pain never gets better as you warm up, and is always cumulative so if there’s the slightest twinge when you wake up then thats a day to not ride a bike as it’ll always be worse the next day unless you rest it.

teenrat

Thanks everyone- theres some good advice and experience. I think its going to drive me stir crazy but i’m just going to have to be patient.

antigee

had a couple in same knee but scrapes and removal of torn dangly bits so probably on the minor end of the spectrum – 2nd one the surgeon very keen on getting on turbo asap – think i managed it in a week using a box to carefully climb on

off road yes quite a bit of time as thought of falling on it and pain involved not something could go for

also used one of those stupid looking arm rotating things that look like an upside down bike at the gym – great cardio workout and no leg action

when could take it did quite a lot of knee strengthening exercises

good luck for a quick recovery

junitrules
    Free Member

I had the same procedure a couple of years ago. Just removal of some tissue though, not the meniscus.

My physio got me doing squats against one of those big blow up balls, against a wall, which took the strain out of the knee but strengthened the leg muscles.

Also use the cross trainer, which is a similar movement to cycling, without putting too much strain on the knee.

It then migrated to one leg squats, and jumps onto a platform.

I don’t claim to be a physio and your situation will be different to mine so just listen to the physiotherapist.

The worst thing I found was listening to the saline squelch around in my knee joint for a days after!

geordynige
    Free Member

I had exploratory knee arthroscopy 8 weeks ago for a suspected cartilage tear but they didn’t find anything.

Unforts I cannot really ride as the original issue (inflammation of the outside of the right knee) was caused by cycling!!

So it is walking, swimming & core work for me until the swelling settles down. Some days it feels so hot!!

How long before the knee feels normal again?

mattsccm
    Free Member

No idea what the technical term for what I had was but a large chunk of the load bearing cartilage surface was whipped out of one of my knees. It looked like the surface of the moon in there. Was told that the next step was some plastic fitted. Its buggered. Anyway the only firm decision I could get from the medics was that they didn’t know and couldn’t agree. I don’t think they cared. One said stop cycling. The same chap told me 2 months and also 2 weeks and denied both later. Best advice was use a turbo and if it hurts stop.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Had endless trouble with my knee.

The medics don’t have time to care. Took me years to understand that.

Built up my strength with a concept 2. Brilliant. You can go from this straight onto the mtb no problem.

antigee

geordynige – Member
    I had exploratory knee arthroscopy 8 weeks ago for a suspected cartilage tear but they didn’t find anything.

Unforts I cannot really ride as the original issue (inflammation of the outside of the right knee) was caused by cycling!!

So it is walking, swimming & core work for me until the swelling settles down. Some days it feels so hot!!

How long before the knee feels normal again?

I’d be getting that checked out – no medical person but had 2 of these op’s and at 8 weeks all should be fine and dandy – I’d be concerned about infection

teenrat

I have to say, i’m really pleased with the recovery so far. 11 days after the op and there is no pain or stiffness and i can walk almost normally and spin ( with no resistance) on the exercise bike. What i have though, is some pain in my right knee, which i think is due to the overcompensating for the left knee.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

That is very common.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Knee Arthroscopy – Exercises and cycle fitness’ is closed to new replies.