• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by goby.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Knee arthroscopy – any experiences, recovery times?
  • pguy78
    Free Member

Booked in for the end of Jan to have an arthroscopy looking at a potential tear of the meniscus. Trying to get an idea of when i will be back to work, driving and on my bike. All the guidelines say 1-6 weeks not overly helpful. Thought some of the singletrack population will have first hand experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About that 1 week for a general scrape and tidy up. 6 if they get into the meniscus seriously. Missus has had both

Spud

4 weeks off with mine, crutches for most of that too. I guess it depends on what they do.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If the guidelines say 1-6 weeks then it’s a fair bet that it’ll take 1-6 weeks.

Depends on: what they do to you, what state your knee is in, what state you are in generally, infections, what kind of stuff you do, etc etc etc.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 so far.No crutches.Straight to weight bearing,biking in a week (went windsurfing 2 days after the first one…..hence the 2nd one 😳 ).

giantx4
    Free Member

Had this done a good few years ago,mine was torn,but think was off the bike for 4 weeks,but back at work (cabinet maker) after 2 weeks
    As others say,it all depends on your injury,and your lifestlye etc
    Hope goes well mate…youll be so much stronger after!

pguy78
    Free Member

Cheers just trying to get together some different experience. Not so fussed about work as i can work around it. Most interested in driving as currently cant figure another way of getting the kids to school/nursery.

supertacky
    Free Member

Posterior meniscus tear.Full weight bearing on the day. Only short walks less than 100 mtrs in the first week,Back to work in Three weeks. Ironicly the biggest problem with going back to work was driving my car and depressing the clutch pedal.Bike in four. Fully back to normal around 8 weeks.

I’m so glad I went in for the Op. Was getting pretty worried about the pain and effects it was having on my life.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I went in for an arthroscopy, day surgery, I ended up with leg in plaster for nearly 6 months because they found other issues, it turned out alright in the end but was terrible at the time. Took a long time to get my strength back in my right leg.

Davesport

I had a knee arthroscopy 18 months ago. Walked out of the hospital under my own steam no problem. Main issue for me was that my knee was swollen & that was preventing full movement. It took about a week for the swelling to reduce. I had full movement after two weeks & regular physio. The physio was all done at home using a print-out from the hospitals physio’s.

I guess recovery depends on exactly what they do when they’re inside your knee. Procedures vary a lot & when they had a look inside my knee there was nothing wrong 🙁 Later diagnosed as fat pad impingement.

Good luck.

D.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Mine was just a scrape of the frayed bits on the meniscus. Walked out of the hospital about 4 hrs after going into theatre, the limiting factor was recovering from the general anaesthetic. 8 years ago so can’t recall all the detail but I think 3 days off work (desk job), don’t remember any problem driving. Lots of physio for a couple of weeks, important to do it, one thing was to work on using the ankle, pulling toes up, otherwise your foot ends up pointed downwards. Also wasn’t supposed to bend knees more than 90º for a few days.

supertacky
    Free Member

Think the majority of the swelling is due to the injection of solution into the knee to create a gap/space for the equipment. I found that by getting into the physio nice and early it tended to dissipate the fluid which reduced the swelling quickly.

Only been left with two 10mm scars

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I had some quite “unusual” meniscus damage. Walked out of hospital same day, signed off for 3 weeks. First week was mostly feet up (while the TdF was in the mountains, so that was okay). After two weeks I felt pretty much fine. Cycled again after about a month, just towpaths.

Knee was never 100% the same again, mind, but it’s doing really good now. A bit of singlespeeding and road riding seems to do it good – the former builds supporting muscles, the latter improved my pedalling no end.

goby

Well i had a knee arthroscopy done on Oct 16 as i had a very badly damdged PCL. I was on crutches for 2 weeks and could drive an auto after 3 weeks but 5 weeks until i could drive my own manual car.

Im still not riding been having phsio every week and im and now back to doing circuit up the gym which my physio had given me to do to strengthen my muscles around knee anlong with skipping and other actives.

The physio has been great im gradualy building up the muscles in my knee and leg as was very unstable.

When i saw him last week he reckon i be back gentle biking at end of Jan! Fingers crossed!
    Good luck with the operation!, Oh ice packs really help take the swelling down and ease the pain!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Knee arthroscopy – any experiences, recovery times?’ is closed to new replies.