Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Knaresborough – any decent local routes
  • grobin13
    Free Member

Hi guys. Moving to knaresborough (from Leeds) but not sure of any decent local routes. Any suggestions?

scandal42
    Free Member

Road bike 😀

grobin13
    Free Member

Couldn’t bring myself to do that.

ninfan
    Free Member

What type of riding are you looking for?

Some fantastic bridle way bashing out round hay-a-park, North of Scotton on the mountgarret estates and to the south of town via plumton and goldsborough

And then of course, shhh, nidd gorge, that then links up all the way through to the top of Harrogate at Birk crag

tomhoward

Very shhh re nidd gorge….

Bit of a trek but stainburn trail centre and the cheeky trails above it are worth a drive out.

grobin13
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Just bought a house in Farnahm so Scotton is on the doorstep as is the gorge. Will check them out.

Into a good mix of riding, some xc, towing the toddler in his trailer, some messing around in the woods like a kid however my favorite is more aggressive trail riding. Stainburn is my go to local for that sort of stuff at the moment.

Are there any decent clubs in the area – all I can find is road bike clubs?

Thanks

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Very shhh re nidd gorge….

Indeed, we’re not appreciated down there by a fair few. At this time of year it’s a bog at the bottom and the mess we make (I dare say no more than the Walkerists) does nothing to help the cause either. Oh and is too cold to sit in the beer garden at the gardeners post ride.

Plenty of muddy mile munching slog type bridal ways for this time of year from nearby though to avoid upsetting people on whilst it’s wet

ninfan
    Free Member

Just remind them that you’re using the route to access the footbridge at the bottom, since the council have failed to maintain the bridleway ford at Scotton weir in a safe and usable condition, and that there’s an established right in common law to divert to the nearest safe crossing where they have failed to do so.

Some years ago Harrogate BC took on rights of way responsibilities as a trial project and employed a lady dealing with it, she got most upset when discussing nidd gorge and I pointed out that right to divert, because she knew damn well that I was right about their failure to keep the ford safe. Similarly, they planned a deal with the landowner to downgrade the bridleway down the steps at Birk crag to a footpath, because it was ‘impassable’ and wanted to upgrade the FP from crag lane to Cornwall road as a one for one swap. I said we would support the upgrade but fight the downgrade of the steps all the way as it was one of the best descents in the area, and offered video proof to show it being ridden… And that was the end of that.

chestrockwell

Psyclosport used to run mtb rides but not sure if they do now the shop shut.
    If you want steady stuff get over to Swinsty Res as there’s a decent pootle round there now. Gisburn’s only 45ish mins away too.
    Have a word with the lads at Stif in Summerbridge and they’ll point you in the direction of decent rides in Nidderdale.
    If you want a route for the kids trailer there’s the bike track that runs out to Ripley Castle.

ninfan
    Free Member

I have no idea if they will carry on after the loss of Pete (who very sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago if you weren’t aware, he was a memorable character who will be missed by many, the grumpy bugger 🙁 )

chestrockwell

I didn’t know, god that’s very sad. I wondered what happened after the shop shut. RIP.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A lad at work (part time prison officer/part time undertaker) did Pete’s funeral. 😥

I’m in Boroughbridge, there’s lots of bridleways around between here & Farnham. Shitted up to the eyeballs just now though.

Johnski
    Free Member

I’m in Knaresborough, I ride across to Harrogate for group night ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Email is in profile, get in touch if you are interested and we can sort something out.

grobin13
    Free Member

Nice one Johnski will do. Move in the New Year so will be in touch. What kind of riding do you guys do?

soulbrother99
    Free Member

Hi, I think pedalheads in Knaresborough do some shop rides on a Wednesday evening at 6:30 there is a meet up group for it somewhere if you Google pedalheads meetup i think you should find it.

Nice to see more MTBers in the area!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Knaresborough – any decent local routes’ is closed to new replies.