Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knackered my iPhone – Genius bar question?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Tried to replace the broken screen on my 4s, now it isn’t working at all. I’m going to have to pay them the £140 they want for a new phone. Will it matter that I have tried to fix it myself and knackered it? I assumed that they just take the phone and £140 and swap for a new phone with minimal fuss or will they say no as I’ve opened it up?

jota180
    Free Member

When I took my daughters in, they sent it away then rang me a few days later to say I needed a replacement rather than a repair
    I’d had it to bits to see if I could fix it

bigyinn
    Free Member

I would imagine trying to replace the screen with non-apple parts will have torn your warranty into little bits and then set fire to them.

footflaps

They don’t care about the old one, it just gets binned.

Drac

The old one will be stripped and reconditioned, take it in you have nothing to lose.

jamesy01
    Free Member

I just took a 25 month old, 32gb 4 back to Braehead as there was a hardware problem with the mic.

Told the guy the issue, said I realised it was out of warrant and I’d be happy to pay my £119 for and out of warranty replacement.

The ‘genius’ agreed, put my phones details in the computer and handed me a new phone…a new 16 gb 4s with no charge!

Walked out the store highly confused but happy. Started to piece things together on the way home and realised he had taken the serial number and IMEI number off the SIM tray rather then off the phone. The very sim tray that had been switched out of my 3 month old 4s in a split second decision when switching SIM’s only hours earlier 😀

P.S. I did alert Apple to their mistake but so far they have not answer my email…so 3 month old 4s for sale in the near future.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Do you know what you’ve done wrong?

Have you asked on phone fixy type forums if there’s anything obvious you might have done wrong?

Just that when I replaced the screen on my phone (not an Apple one though), I missed clipping in a couple of tiny connectors, and dislodged one other one accidentally, and to start off with it wouldn’t read the sim card, and the gps wouldn’t work. Was an easy fix one I found someone to tell me what I needed to check for each problem.

GrahamS

If you are potentially going to hand it over then don’t forget to back it up first in iTunes. Then wipe it completely.

Spawn

You could ask https://mendmyi.com/ to have a look at for you I think the diagnostics if free you just have to ship it to them and then they quote for the repair.

simon_g

The £140-ish charge is for out-of-warranty replacement. As long as you still have the phone, and it’s in one piece, they won’t care.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

petrieboy

Is there an upper age limit on replacements? My 3yo 3GS is looking a bit tatty and the battery is shot. A spangly new one would be just spiffy!

jamesy01
    Free Member

clickylinkythingy

Looks like they are still replacing 3gs’s.

Have a look for a crack in the case by the charger port. Its a known fault and you may be able to argue for a free replacement!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knackered my iPhone – Genius bar question?’ is closed to new replies.