Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • KMC / SRAM chains: more £ = better?
  • rickmeister

After last nights grind and crunch fest, the SRAM GX is needing its first chain replacement. It was bought as a shifter, rear mech, cassette bundle including a SRAM 11spd chain.
    Looking at this, a replacement is under £20 but both KMC and SRAM have chains from £15 through to £50 and its not easy to see what is a good buy without going OTT…

Any advice, wisdom or recommendations?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I buy the cheapest SRAM chain. the only difference between that and the one above is the one above is nickel plated for better corrosion protection – which I don’t need, then higher up the range you’re into the chains with hollow pins and links with cut-outs for weight saving, so again pointless – just makes the chain weaker.

So no, buy the cheap SRAM chain, it’ll be fine. Not sure about KMC, the only time I had a KMC chain I got rid as it kept on snapping, three or four times in a ride once, not sure why but I switched to SRAM and never looked back. Its a chain at the end of the day so can’t get too excited, i just buy what I had before.

dovebiker

How you look after a chain has more bearing on it’s life than anything else IME – keeping it clean and lubed and not letting it get rusty all help. I find the KMC TiNitrided chains run a bit smoother and avoid anything that’s not got some form of protective coating.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve never had good experiences with SRAM chains, new Shimano 11 speed on the other hand are fantastic

rickmeister

Thanks for the info. I don’t need the coloured or weight reducing stuff…. just a solid no nonsense strong chain. I’m a pusher, not a spinner when climbing so strong and dependable are best.

onandon
    Free Member

KMC Are the only chains I use now.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

KMC have been good for me – been using them for about 3 years now ever since I switched from SRAM drivetrain to Shimano

Used the X11-93 since I moved to 11 speed without any problems

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

+1 for kmc X11-93 (wiggle £16) or X10-93 (10 speed).

i find selecting the correct gear in time, saves me chains. I was always breaking them before that.

cp

Kmc -93 range is the sweet spot for me no matter how many speeds.

Nickel plating keeps corrosion away and they last ages.

rocketman
    Free Member

Wippermann since 2014

spawnofyorkshire

I made the mistake of not going for my usual KMC X10-93 last time and got suckered into a good deal on the X10-EL. Not good for MTB’s as it’s just more area for dirt to end up with the cut-outs

demelitia
    Free Member

I tend to go for kmc chains. Never had any snapping issues, although I’m not a Clyde and have a bit of mechanical sympathy when shifting so they don’t have a hard life.

I’ve bought the super light ones for an xc whippet I built up but for everything else I go with the middle of the road ones. Decent enough corrosion resistance and it means you can buy two to switch every couple of rides. Spreads the wear out on all the components and makes cleaning one easier.

vmgscot

KMC X??-93 flavours – been solid and reliable, 90Kg rider on 14Kg bike

rickmeister

KMC X-93 bought… €16.

Thanks folks. Its for a Fatbike and we are miles from the sea so don’t think there will be corrosion issues, its dry or snowy here..

elliott-20
    Free Member

Snapped SRAM chains
    Snapped Sachs chains
    Snapped Shimano chains
    Snapped Wipperman chains
    Snapped KMC chains

But split links and a seemingly longer life, KMC are my current go to.

misteralz
    Free Member

My last KMC enjoyed snapping quite a lot. Fortunately I live in the Netherlands, so last time it snapped on a ride I could push it 200m to a bike shop where I could get a 15Euro Shimano HG one that’s given me no trouble since.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve never had good experiences with SRAM chains, new Shimano 11 speed on the other hand are fantastic

Totally the opposite here.

I switched to SRAM chains (well Sachs before they were bought out) after Shimano chains snapping loads. Had to use a Shimano chain last year and it snapped repeatedly. Useless.

My SRAM ones have always lasted well in comparison, even the posher hollow pin jobbies. My current XX1 chain has lasted well and I’m just going to run it into the ground.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘KMC / SRAM chains: more £ = better?’ is closed to new replies.