Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • KMC quick link / SRAM power link – change when changing chain?
  • devash
    Free Member

Just a quick tech question. When changing a chain (due to wear and not mechanical failure) should I also replace the power /quick link, or are these things good to go for a few thousand miles?

Rorschach
    Free Member

SRAM 10sp are supposed to be 1 use only (although its never stopped me reusing them).KMC are multiple use

nickc

new chain, new link.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, they’re already the weakest part of the chain, if you’ve decided your chain’s worn I’d want a new link too!

devash
    Free Member

Cheers all, will order a couple more with the chain.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yep.

When new things will be within a tolerance.
    When worn it will be worn together [out of tolerance from new]

Reusing one will give you a part that is not of the correct dimensions and is therefore more likely to fail.

njee20
    Free Member

Cheers all, will order a couple more with the chain.

You know you get one with the chain?

Reusing one will give you a part that is not of the correct dimensions and is therefore more likely to fail.

Given how a chain wears I’m not convinced that’s that much of an issue – it’s not like the plates physically stretch.

devash
    Free Member

@ njee

I usually run Shimano chains which come with that crap pin instead of a missing link.

njee20
    Free Member

Aside from an inability to remove the chain (for whatever reason) I prefer pins!

lornholio
    Free Member

I have used my current SRAM Powerlock link for three summers, on 4 different chains, and take it on and off at least once a month to clean the chain.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You’re totally going to die

andyv
    Free Member

I always use a new link with a new chain but strip out the old ones from worn chains to use as spares. i think my bitsa bike has a chain with about 4 in, they seem to last longer than normal links!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘KMC quick link / SRAM power link – change when changing chain?’ is closed to new replies.