Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • KMC missing links
  • RealMan
    Free Member

What a load of rubbish. Spent about 20 minutes trying to get it to go on with my fingers. In the end gave up and forced it on with a pair of pliers.

Utter rubbish, hopefully I won’t ever have to remove it. Will be sticking with connex.

Northwind

Don’t know how many of these I’ve used but they’re spot on… Just the same as a SRAM powerlink though possibly with slightly tighter tolerances, not sure of that as it’s ages since I used a SRAM one, they’re more expensive and work the same.

andyl
    Free Member

eh?

I had my 1st experience with any kind of missing link last week. It was a KMC and went on perfect 1st time. You just put it together loose on the top run and then use the crank to pull it closed. Couldnt be easier.

bassspine
    Free Member

every one I’ve fitted has been fine. We’ve been using KMC in the shop recently, so that’s in the mid-twenties at the moment

doubledunter
    Free Member

Bought KMC missing links last week and just slips on and off with no problem whatsoever 😆

scaredypants

realman’s a real man though, and probably using a 1/8 chain for fear of ripping it in two

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

They are amazingly easy to use.

Spending 20 minutes trying to fit one is beyond a new level of hamfistedness

4ndyB
    Free Member

Piece of piss to fit and remove a KMC Missing Link, saying that I’ve never had a problem fitting any new powerlink/missing link etc…

Occasionally have a little bit of grief if the chain is caked in crud, but even then it’s off in under 30 seconds after a little jiggling of the link to remove some of the cack

mogsuncle
    Free Member

I actually find these a nightmare to remove! I clicked on this thread hoping this was a common problem, but no. I just have to add this to the long list of bike things I’m rubbish at. 😡

And why, if these are so easy to remove, do KMC sell a special tool for the job???

Northwind

You can get tools for all powerlink types, it’s not a KMC specific. They can be ever so slightly tricky to get off once they’re gummed up though, as can SRAM ones, you need to squeeze the plates together to get them to release so if they’re gummed up that can be harder to do. I made myself a pair of powerlink pliars a while back to remove a stuck SRAM one.

Usually it’s just a question of technique.

andyl
    Free Member

when you 1st fit open and close it a few times before you give it some stick on the trails.

bigpole
    Free Member

Kmc are 100 times easier to use than Sram links I’ve even used them whilst wearing winter gloves in the dark and in freezing conditions.
    I agree with steve austin

mudmonster
    Free Member

The first time I used one of these I had real trouble getting it on and off. Since then though found them just as easy as power links. Maybe I got a dodgy one or my technique has improved.

ratherbeintobago

KMC sell powerlink pliers which are very good if (like certain people not far from here…) you have a slightly laissez-faire attitude to maintenance and they seize closed.

Andy

depth-junkie
    Free Member

KMC missing links are a breeze to fit and un-fit. Been using a 10 speed one on my MTB SLX 10 speed with no problems since september. Like SRAM power links for 9 speed, if gunked up they can take a bit of a wiggle to release the gunk holding (sticking) them in place. Either way 30sec job max to fit & unfit. And as far as i know KMC are the only ones doing a reusable link for 10 speed chains.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve found my KMC split link and chain a lot better than the awful SRAM it replaced.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, to be sure KMC missing links are indeed very simple to fit and if the chain is kept lubed properly just as simple to remove.

Have you got little fingers or girly hands that you need to keep smooth & fresh or summit?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘KMC missing links’ is closed to new replies.