Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • KMC Missing Link Pliers – Have I bought the wrong ones?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My KMC missing link pliers have arrived from Wiggle.

However just looking at the packaging it says ‘Missing link connector’.

I expected the pliers to be able to take the links apart and put them back together again, or is that asking too much from a set of pliers that cost £10 ?!?

So did I buy wrong or, am I missing some thing?

Thanks

tragically1969
    Free Member

They should be able to handle most connectors, however for another £3 you could have had the Park Tool ones, tool bling at its best and a lifetime investment !

Saratoga
    Free Member

KMC actually make two tools, a remover and a connector. Pictures here. I’ve managed with just my hands up till now though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My 10 speed chain refuses to come apart (never used to be an issue with SRAM powerlink on 9spd)

Tragic – its not the fact that they are not compatable with the chain, it looks like the ones I have ordered will only connect the chain, rather than split it, which is the real problem I have. I also just kind of hoped that one set of pliers would help do both, not have to spend £20 on 2 sets of pliers 😈

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The shapes of the jaws are different. I’ve bought the red handled ones…

The Park Tool ones are like the black ones.

Saratoga
    Free Member

Yes, it would be nice if it did both functions in one. I probably would only want a remover anyway as that’s the fiddliest part.

cinnamon_girl

Apologies for the hijack but I’ve a 9 speed KMC chain that I want to remove and do not wish to use it again. Will a normal chain splitter tool work? Never used KMC before.

Thanks. 🙂

cp

CG – a normal splitter will work fine.

LardLover
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Apologies for the hijack but I’ve a 9 speed KMC chain that I want to remove and do not wish to use it again. Will a normal chain splitter tool work? Never used KMC before.

Thanks.

Yes (I was a bit slow there 😳 )

MadPierre

The “Remover” ones are well handy for the SRAM 10 speed links. You don’t need the “connector” ones. Just position the link at the top and press down on the pedal to stretch the chain and pull the link together.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks guys. 8)

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

My 10 speed chain refuses to come apart (never used to be an issue with SRAM powerlink on 9spd)

Unfortunately SRAM 10 speed chains come with a powerLOCK that to quote SRAM

SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only.

Not the rejoin-able powerLINK of the 9 speed systems.

Apparently it is possible to undo/rejoin them but i have never succeeded.

MadPierre

Unfortunately SRAM 10 speed chains come with a powerLOCK….

Apparently it is possible to undo/rejoin them but i have never succeeded.

Very possible and easy with the remover tool discussed above

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hmm now not sure if its worth the hassle of paying for P&P to return them to Wiggle or just buy some more pliers from else where as Wiggle dont have them in stock…

Haze

I have the removers, not sure the connectors are worth it as I can pretty much pull them together by hand.

mudshark
    Free Member

KMC 10 speed easy to remove/connect by hand and don’t have a one use limit. BTW, the Decathlon links I have are KMC in Decathlon packaging and a lot cheaper than KMC.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“KMC 10 speed easy to remove/connect by hand and don’t have a one use limit.”

My KMC 10 certainly isnt easy hence why I thought I would get the pliers to help…

Might give Decathlon a call to see if they have any pliers in as not too far from where I work.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the park ones are great – they open the sram black 10sp ones a breeze, and i keep reusing my 10 speed powerlock which it suggests you should’nt, its done no damage to stop it locking back in place on several occasions… ive had no issues doing so, pretty impossible without the park tools one, cracking buy!

mudshark
    Free Member

My KMC 10 certainly isnt eas

Sorry, meant ‘possible’ unlike the SRAM ones (I wonder if SRAM do it to sell more links?!). It is a bit of a skill though.

johnnystorm

£13 for the pair from Superstar. My set do the job as expected. 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheers Johnny, just ordered the Superstars ones, didnt think to look there before.

Originals are going back to Wiggle.

rondo101
    Free Member

Anyone ever used the Clarkes 10sp connectors clicky

Quite a bit cheaper than KMC & wondered if there was a reason for it?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘KMC Missing Link Pliers – Have I bought the wrong ones?’ is closed to new replies.