Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • KMC 11sp chain links
  • nickc

Warning…

you need a tool to close and open these…nice one KMC you gits

change a useful removable link with one that requires a tool.

🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t need a tool to close it, or at least I didn’t when I closed one a few weeks ago, just a bit of pressure on the pedal.

Do need a tool to open it. Do they still say it’s reusable? SRAM long since said they are single use. I guess tolerances are getting pretty tight. Edit… 11sp no longer officially reusable.

bedmaker

Seems that the chain is so narrow though theres no way to make the link skinny enough to press in and release now, so it relies on sticky uppy bits to hold it together through friction.
    I’ve opened and reused mine several times now and I’m not even remotely dead yet.

Northwind

Never needed a tool to close them. The cranks can be used to apply way more force than chainlink tools.

I think KMC are officially not reusable. Totally are though.

sq225917
    Free Member

My last one must have been on and off ten times, no issues.

andyl
    Free Member

Anyone tried the ybn 11 speed ones from Merlin?

CheesybeanZ

Use a 10 speed link , just that tiny bit wider for clumsy thumb and fingers out on the trail .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep use the crank tip to close them tool to open them (even works well on the 9 &10sp ones)

just that tiny bit wider for clumsy thumb and fingers out on the trail .

I’m trying to think of the last time I needed to split a chain at the link on the trail. I can’t the only time I’m in at the chain is if it snapped – no need to break the quick link or if the mech is totalled – using a chain splitter is easy enough at that point.

fieldini
    Free Member

I have the 11 speed KMC chain with the quick link. Yeah it does need a tool to get it on an off at first (I use the multigrip pliers method). Had it off a few times now though (I always remove the chain to clean the drive train) and it’s at the point where I can do it by hand. Getting it fixed on I just pull the chain taut.

nickc

Well, i filed down the little lip on the connectors that mean it needs a tool, and now it goes on and off with finger pressure, yey, go me…

bloody KMC

doubledunter
    Free Member

I had the same problem last week, for the life of me couldnt get it off, ended up buying the removal tool from crc, £7 or something along those lines, dont think the tool for putting it back on will be required tbh

eskay

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWPMLP/jobsworth-pro-master-chain-link-pliers

One of those tools you wonder how you coped without.

cloudnine
    Free Member

File it down a bit or just use a 10 speed one..

nickc

One of those tools you wonder how you coped without.

Fingers?

I bought 5 hand files for 3.79

I think I got a better deal TBH

doubledunter
    Free Member

Fingers?

I bought 5 hand files for 3.79

I think I got a better deal TBH

How could you be arsed TBH, for an extra couple of quid you get the right tool for the right job 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘KMC 11sp chain links’ is closed to new replies.