Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Klunking – a giant step backwards!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Klunking-2.html

Looks fun to me! Apart from the ‘tache, obviously. 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Looks fun to me!

Really? This place desperately needs an ‘irony’ emoticon!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, really.

A bike. No tech, nothing fancy pants about it. Just go and ride. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

A very small step backwards – only 4 days or so 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

its just a Humu

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you been away Captain?

Oops. 😳

I have been away, if that’s any excuse. A week in California and Nevada.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

A bike. No tech, nothing fancy pants about it.

No brakes!
    I have an old Marin in the garage, complete with centre pull brakes if you want retro!

dawson

I have been away, if that’s any excuse.

we’ll let you off then. 😉

A week in California and Nevada.

On second thoughts, no, cos thats just gloating! 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Coaster brake on the rear. That’s roughly equivalent to no brakes.

smartay

Looks like a just get out and ride no fettling type of bike.
    Any idea of price as yet from Transition

igrf
    Free Member

smartay – Member
    Looks like a just get out and ride no fettling type of bike.
    Any idea of price as yet from Transition

£485 as long as the exchange rate holds..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

This is what a £99 supermarket bike should look like. Not really convinced it’s worth nearly £500 to somebody who already has a bike…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just how gullible are MTB riders!!
    Simply buy/beg an old bike, convert to singlespeed, job jobbed.
    £500 notes would make a nice bike and I would want more than a coaster brake though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Or for £50 quid less you can get this cannondale –

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=219754

kiwijohn

Hmmm…
    I have this bike already:

Never dared to ride it off road. Strictly to the pub & back.

deviant
    Free Member

Hipster bike.

zerocool

I can see them becoming the new ‘cool’ fixie, CX, etc. over the next year. Hipsters have gotta ride something different now the general public have caught up with their latest fashions accessory

igrf
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member
    This is what a £99 supermarket bike should look like. Not really convinced it’s worth nearly £500 to somebody who already has a bike…

All true, but lets say you ride these things with your mates down some pretty gnarly stuff and inevitably as boys do, the jumps get jumpier and the crazy stuff gets crazier and the clunkers start falling apart, so as you happen to own your own Bike company you think hey we can build something for this that won’t fall apart as often, do you.

a)Try to make it as cheap as possible and risk it folding and possibly damaging the credibility of your bike brand.

or

b)Build it so it is as strong as it can be without being stupid expensive?

Given you are also a very small company so wont be making many of them anyway and it is done just because you can rather than any Global corporate profitability drive..

davesmate
    Free Member

Looks like an old 1980’s Raleigh bomber. I had one and it was great fun so yeah, I’d go for one of these.

Euro
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Coaster brake on the rear. That’s roughly equivalent to no brakes.

Takes a while (a painful while) to get the hang of a coaster, but they are perfect for this sort of bike. Agree that it’s a lot of money for a very simple bike, but then Transitions are expensive. £300 On One version?

yunki
    Free Member

£300 On One version?

sort of, nearly..

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Im all for less maintenance and simplicity but its just typical magazine advertised lifestyle bollocks. I agree with Deviant, Hipster shite for those with more money than sense!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Oh and no disrepect to the original Klunkers who paved the way.

Northwind

I like the idea… Don’t so much like the idea of coming round a blind corner and finding a dogwalker/family in the middle of the trail, meanwhile I have no brakes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nowhere near as bad as those Choppers from a couple of years ago that are no doubt languishing in garages (beside Audis 😉 )

Euro
    Free Member

Just think how cool you’d look when you stamp you back foot down and skid side-a-ways, half crossed-up to a halt spraying the family waste high in roost 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

More of a criticism of all the rubbish they try and hang on £99 bikes…

If they could bang out a decent number of them they’d be able to get the prices down I should think. Chicken/Egg

maxtorque

Thing is, if you don’t like ’em, then simply don’t buy one. it ain’t manditory !

I can see the attraction of a ‘zero tech’ bike, but then again i’m perfectly happy (and pretty grin induced) riding my £5k All Carbon All Mountain Missile (thats a new genre i just invented btw, an “ACAMM”) 😉

walleater

Really? The guys around Bellingham have been doing this for ages (building up old Schwinns and the like and racing them)and I don’t think Transition are going to change the world by having a laugh and trying to sell a couple of hundred of them off the back of it.

What is funny is the price of them in the UK! They are going to be around $500 over here which is reasonable for the spec of the bike, but 500ukp in the UK? Ha ha ha…..

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Is it wrong of me to want one?

sheephills
    Free Member

another bike thats make no sense, just like riding brakeless bmx, sense no, but fun yes 🙂

igrf
    Free Member

walleater – Member
    Really? The guys around Bellingham have been doing this for ages (building up old Schwinns and the like and racing them)and I don’t think Transition are going to change the world by having a laugh and trying to sell a couple of hundred of them off the back of it.

What is funny is the price of them in the UK! They are going to be around $500 over here which is reasonable for the spec of the bike, but 500ukp in the UK? Ha ha ha…..

We’re not laughing, we pay the same import price, but we have higher duty, and Government sales tax of 20% just so we can be part of Europe pretty much the same for everything, you yanks don’t realise how cheap you live and fill your gas tanks..

mooman
    Free Member

Not sure of the singlespeed odd brakey thing ..
    But all for the rigid fork.

wrecker
    Free Member

Like it but £500 is pie in the sky I’m afraid. If I were the importer, I wouldn’t bother buying any.

paul78
    Free Member

igrf, I hope you guys do bring them into the UK .. personally don’t see issue with price or selling them … I worked in a bike shop when SE re released the floval flyer and that was snapped up by dad’s in the shop buying their kids bikes at the time .. I see this being the same kind of market.

I doubt many will see serious Klunking but they will sell for sure.

starsh78
    Free Member

I totally want one!

JoeG
    Free Member

I bought an old Schwinn last winter to use for a klunker build. I stripped the frame, bought a 1″ steerer Marzocchi fork, and pretty much nothing else! 😳

igrf
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Like it but £500 is pie in the sky I’m afraid. If I were the importer, I wouldn’t bother buying any.

Erm thanks [guntoheadicon], not being facetious but if you were the Importer what of the Transition range would you import and why? I’d be extremely intrigued by someone elses opinion here.. and if you say Bottlerocket I’m going to know who put you up to it.. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Actually, I love the Transition range. A friend has a Covert which I love riding. Bandits are highly reqarded and well priced. The TR bikes are very desirable. Big tags though. Bottlerockets are getting more attention care of a certain instructor. I have a real soft spot for the trans am. Lovely. Always get the colours so right too.
    Have to see the covert carbon frame price before I commented on that.
    I’m not a hater. I just cannot see how anyone could justify £500 on a bike like the klunker.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Klunking – a giant step backwards!’ is closed to new replies.