Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kleinwalsertal (Austria), anyone been?
  • dknwhy

Searched but found nothing about the area. Anyone been? Have booked a couple of weeks here at a campsite in Riezlern. Looks to be lift assisted xc riding.
    Any tips or specific trails to try would be welcome. Have go the option of taking my XC 29er or Enduro bike. Think that anything lift assisted probably means the enduro bike would be favourable….

welshfarmer

Only been there for cave exploration on the Ifen, and some climbing and klettersteig routes on the SE side of the valley back when I lived in Stuttgart. Very pretty area. I can ask on the German MTB forum if you have any specific questions.

welshfarmer

A younger Mrs WF high above the Kleinwalsertal back in 1997

welshfarmer

How is your German? You can download a nice article on the area using the link below. I asked on the German forum and the consensus is that an All Mountain bike at a minimum

http://www.freeride-magazine.com/reise/oesterreich-kleinwalsertal/a22299.html

dknwhy

Thanks welshfarmer. My German’s not great!

professor_fate
    Free Member

Spent a bit of time in the area in my pre-riding days,if that’s the Mindelheimer klettersteig been over that ladder myself…
    Rode there a couple of years back with the best trail I found ran from Riezlern along the north side of the valley across to Schwarzwasserhutte (just a building not a Hutte) and down to Baad. Apart from the Sollereckbahn I don’t recall any other lifts that take bikes. Oh, and you could take a hike a bike up to the Schrofenpass and look for a hikingtrail back down towards Einodsbach – they’re on the map but didn’t have the time on the day.

welshfarmer

Only 3 lifts appear to carry MTBs

http://www.kleinwalsertal.com/de/urlaubswelten/aktivitaeten/wandern/bergbahnen-lifte

And yes that is the Mindelheimer KS Prof. Also did the Hindelang one that starts at the top of the Nebelhorn Cable car.

dknwhy

I had a map delivered and I think that I’ll fully embrace the Austrian xc scene and take my hardtail. Looks like there’s a ton of fireroads and quiet roads so it’ll be the easier option.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

dknwhy

Where did you get a map from? I’m planning on being in in Kleinwalsertal with my HT for a few days at the end of June and would like to have an idea of where to ride.

dknwhy

Just bought the Kompass one for the area off Amazon. I’m staying in Riezlern so opted for the 1:25000 one that covered there and the surrounding area (this one)
    It’s a good quality map, plastic so waterproof and tearproof. The accompanying book is in German but the legend has english too so perfectly fine.
    Normally I find that the resorts have pretty good maps available in the tourist offices so you could wait to get out there.
    I’m a map geek though so wanted to have a decent map study session before I go!

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Cheers! I’ll have a look at that and as the Mrs speaks German the accompanying book might give her a chance to pick something suitable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kleinwalsertal (Austria), anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.