Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Klein – Can you still buy them new?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just tried to google Klein and its only coming up with a web page to register your product.

Can you still buy new Klein’s I have seen them in any local bike shops recently?

jonathan
    Free Member

No longer made I’m afraid.

njee20
    Free Member

Trek stopped importing them into the UK about 5 years ago, then dropped them altogether soon after.

They lost their USP once Trek bought them IMO, they always prided themselves on the quality of the frame and what not – ok they had nice paint jobs, internal cable routing and smooth welds, but they were just Treks with a 10% price hike!

fisha
    Free Member

njee,

I think you can tell a difference between a high end trek alu frame and a klein alu frame, the klein being a little stiffer feeling in the rear end and the welding/brazing whatever is better than treks.

I had an ’02 attitude frame for a while and now have a trek 8500 frame , both the same size … you can see a lot of elements that were in the klein frame followed through into the trek frame.

to the op, there are a few select places where you might be able to get some original stock … but at best it’ll be a few years old and most likely involve importing. I did that for my klein road frame a couple of years ago.

I think as time goes on, the USP of a Klein will be its rarity more than ride features.

xiphon
    Free Member

Seriously, why would you want one?

scruff
    Free Member

oh dear.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What tyres for my blue Klein?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thats a Trek Klein though not a true Klein, stuff like that is the devils work, Klein just make nice simple stiff hardtails.

njee20
    Free Member

I think you can tell a difference between a high end trek alu frame and a klein alu frame, the klein being a little stiffer feeling in the rear end and the welding/brazing whatever is better than treks.

Yes, like I said, better paint jobs (and some of them were stunning!), internal cable routing and smoothed welds.

However, when they were just being made by Trek a lot of people weren’t prepared to pay extra for those features (I worked in a shop that sold both). People wanted a Klein because they were a bit special. When they were just upmarket Treks the broad appeal was lost, particularly as many people didn’t care for the features they were paying extra for.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I remember marvelling at those smooth welds on an orangey/yellow Klein (Adroit) when I did my work experience for school in the mid 90’s.

Plus, those internal cables looked great. The shop never seemed to sell any though.

njee20
    Free Member

That was the problem we had, and that was after Trek took over. Everyone came in and went ‘oooo, aaah, that’s pretty’, then bought the cheaper Trek.

I thought about a Q-Pro Carbon road bike, but it was vastly more expensive than a full carbon Trek, and only had carbon stays, was also only white and a bit dull. The Gerolsteiner Kleins were works of art though!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Klein – Can you still buy them new?’ is closed to new replies.