Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Kiwis or the well travelled – taking a machette to NZ
  • brack
    Free Member

Had my eyes on a back country trek/ tramp for several years – basically to do a coast to caost of the Coromandel.

Ideally would love to take my machette – but will this be legally ok ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d very, very much doubt it…

Must be easier to buy one in country?

Taff
    Free Member

If anything like Australia I very much doubt it as it’s considered a weapon

woody2000

Legal to carry it with you whilst walking, or legal to have in your checked luggage on a plane?

brack
    Free Member

The latter as I obv have to get it there.

Tramping with one in a remote area will not be an issue

ir_bandito
    Free Member

got to be easier to buy one there.

lasty
    Free Member

In a word – NO ….
    Pick one up when youre there,wont be a problem.

brack
    Free Member

Ok as I thought…but wasn’t entirely sure. Cheers

nedrapier

I don’t see why not.

I flew to the US with a khukuri in my checked luggage. 12″ blade, very handy for 2 weeks camping. Like the Machete, but maybe with more weapony overtones.

No problems at all at Heathrow, Dallas Fort Worth or Las Vegas, American Airlines or BA.

Check with the airline.

brack
    Free Member

Oh ok – Im a bit less travelled these days – but did travel 5 years ago for a couple of years with a telescopic baton and back country knife but presumed things may have become tighter ?

psling
    Free Member

I’ve never taken anything similar on public airline but I would have thought that as long as the item is legal to carry in both your departure country and your destination country then packed in checked (in hold) luggage it shouldn’t be a problem.

spandex_bob

They’re pretty hot on bio security on the way in to NZ; so will almost definately want to check it’s clean when they pick it up on the xray. Could lead to an intersting discussion after 24hrs plus flying. The Coromandel is pretty compact; a coast-2-coast must be circa 25 miles?

McHamish
    Free Member

I have no idea really, but if you bought one there coud you just post it home before you leave?

Or could you post your current one to a hotel or something?

brack
    Free Member

25 miles but compact and bushy…and close to but remote from.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that if you can argue it’s for a sporting or practical purpose you would get away with it in checked luggage. Best ask an airline though.

I worked with someone who used to travel to international shooting competitions, with a shotgun I think.

“What’s in that bag sir?”
    “A gun”
    “Hahah yes very funny sir, what’s really in it?”
    “Really, a gun”
    reaching for the panic button “Slowly open the bag please sir!”
    “It’s ok I’ve got the right papers look”
    “PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD RIGHT NOW!”

etc etc.. at every airport.. hehe

vorlich
    Free Member

I brought a 60cm machete back from Jamaica. Before 9/11 admittedly…

Pukeko
    Free Member

You can easily get one there. not necessarily needed for coromandel as most tracks are passable without slashing growth back. I have found them to be a pain at times strapped to side of pack catching up on growth when you try and push through heavy scrub.

vinnyeh

Guess I’ll be the first one to bite and ask why you’d want to take a machete, rather than a simple camping knife, tramping in the Coromandel, hardly the back of beyond.
    🙂

It’s not like you’ll be blazing new trails now, is it?

brack
    Free Member

Tairua – Tarura show me a route

konabunny
    Free Member

Taff: machetes are not subject to customs control in Australia. They are not a prohibited weapon (in nsw at least).

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/wpa1998231/sch1.html

Of course, as Australia is Australia and NZ isn’t….

sweaman2
    Free Member

No actual experience but I would have thought if it was in the hold you’d be fine. Providing it isn’t illegal in country of departure and country of arrival. However don’t underestimate the NZ bio-screening mentioned above – they are very through especially if you’re going tramping etc…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

a giant suppository tube ?

NZCol

I’ve run & biked coast to coast had a holiday house in Tairua until recently so know the area well. What we did was biked from W up the Kaueranga river, ran up to the pinnacles track (awesome views) then due east from the spur at 759 into the hikuai stream. Be very very very very careful in there as there are loads of old mine shafts that are covered. I went with someone who knew where they were but wouldn;t recommend otherwise. The bush os freakishly thick in there as well. We popped out up by Tairua river and biked back into town for a beer. There are better tramps quite frankly – go to the Kaimanawas or the Ruahines or even the Tararuas.

mbl1
    Free Member

I made a knife in NZ and then carried it through most of South America, Costa Rica and New York. No problems. Just don’t be trying to take it on a plane in your hand luggage!

hels
    Free Member

Don’t forget your bandana and camo face paint.

NZCol

Genuine statement here, if you end up in a massive pot plantation just keep moving, shut up and don’t mention it to anyone !

spandex_bob

and don’t mention it to anyone !

… or post on the interweb for that matter 😉

CountZero

don’t mention it to anyone take samples !

CountZero

I flew to the US with a khukuri in my checked luggage. 12″ blade, very handy for 2 weeks camping. Like the Machete, but maybe with more weapony overtones.

That’s an idea, they are very effective for bush and camping use:
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=kukri+machete&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7820723796600648853&sa=X&ei=iOTQUPngDaal0AXUvYH4BA&ved=0CDkQ8wIwAg

Or this one, a bit shorter, mor practical general use knife:
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=kukri+machete&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8506812284159762868&sa=X&ei=TuXQULmVL-nK0AWXuoHICA&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAQ

brack
    Free Member

NZCol..hello mate

Yeah had this tramp lined up for many years…Ive done a few recces in the area, and scared myself stupid on my last visit (spent a long and lonely night in Crosbies hut..having just read a newspaper article about what happened there 😕 )

My plan …and Im no fool ( I will not be setting out alone/ without good prep etc, it may not even happen this year) has been to tramp from Tairua …poss broken hills, or as you say from the Pinnacles hut area across to Tarura. I have spoken with many people who seem to think a route exists, but are not entirely sure.

Thames Tramping club are hopefully going to get back to me with some assistance.

Like I say it might not happen this year but one day I will find a route.

Where did you live in Tairua Col ?

tramping in the Coromandel, hardly the back of beyond

…really ?

NZCol

ocean bch rd
    Spur travel is the way forward in there. I’ll see if i can dig up an entry point from the Tairua side, somewhere around the mine/tairua river area rings a bell.

TooTall
    Free Member

a khukuri in my checked luggage. 12″ blade, very handy for 2 weeks camping

If you want to pose as some macho man, yeah. Far better and more sensible tools out there for the job.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What happened at that hut then?

brack
    Free Member

Well…google the words Swedish and Coromandel.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Kiwis or the well travelled – taking a machette to NZ’ is closed to new replies.