Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • KitKat rolling out for the nexus 4. Anyone got it yet.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

According to CNET anyway. I flashed KitKat in to my nexus 4 a couple of days ago and although some of the features are there that are on my nexus 5 it doesn’t look anything like it. Just wondering if the OTA update was any different to the factory image.

Stoner
    Free Member

just done a system check update and nothing ready for me yet.

muggomagic

It is a different build number apparently, but not sure if it’ll be that much different in appearance as I think it’s more to do with bug fixes.
    The difference in appearance between KitKat on your N4 to N5 is that the KitKat update for the N4 doesn’t include the Google experience launcher I don’t expect that this will be included in the OTA update either.
    I side loaded the apk for GEL to my N4 I like it but will probably return to Nova at some point so I can get rid of that search bar.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I loaded KitKat on my 2012 nexus 7 as well. Both look AND feel like 4.3 but defiantly run smoother, noticeably so on the 7. The 5 looks almost cartoon like in comparison to the 4 and 7 that I have flashed.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im expecting to notice a chnage. Im still on 4.3 with an old build number

Google Nexus 4 Android 4.4 KitKat OTA Update Rolling Out

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Running 4.4 on my Nexus 10. Really nice so far. Had 1.4mb update this morning for it and running a custom rom (Temasek v4.1) which is a 4.4 variant on my i9300.

You can download the roms from Google and sideload them yourself if the update isn’t coming through via the normal update process.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not coming to my Galaxy Nexus, but it’s interesting that a lot of the features that were included in the “what’s new in KitKat” roundups are actually software updates to existing apps. So, I have the SMS in Hangouts and Google Now has suddenly got more cards appearing, for example.

I think this is the way Android is heading, so the actual phone OS is less important and they’re less reliant on handset manufacturers and phone companies rolling out upgrades.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Officially not but the custom ROMs should be do-able.

Stoner
    Free Member

My Nexus 4 just been set to reboot to install kitkat 4.4

will report back in a minute once it’s woken back up from it’s surgery.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am eagerly waiting for KitKat on my N10 and if I like it, I’m sure I will, I will probably go for a N5 at some point.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    My Nexus 4 just been set to reboot to install kitkat 4.4

will report back in a minute once it’s woken back up from it’s surgery.

Did you get a system update notification on your phone or seek it out yourself?

crankman
    Free Member

Got it for my Nexus 4 and 7 last night.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nothing for me yet. Forced a system check and so nothing yet.

GEL can be grabbed off the play store I think.

kimbers

stoner how did u get yours, mine shows up to date on 4.3

whippersnapper
    Free Member

System update notification on my 4 and 10 last night. Can’t say I notice much difference yet, different colours and icons so far.

Stoner
    Free Member

woke up to a notification that it had downloaded the update and was ready for an install and reboot. I didnt go for a system check.

Im sure you wont have to do anything, they will just have a queuing system that they are working through based on some hidden rules.

ANyway, it’s back up and running. You wouldnt really know anything had changed except for a few icons, and the colour of the wifi & gsm signal bars are grey rather than blue for some reason now?

Hangouts SMS link has prompted and ive rejected it for now.

About a dozen apps went off to update themselves after the upgrade.

will post back over the next day or so if I notice anything more interesting having had happened.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m still on 4.3, yet my Hangouts SMS prompt to change over was done a week ago or so. So I guess some people are on a more up to date 4.3 than others, or something 😕 .

allthepies
    Free Member

According to a google bloke, the rollout is phased. In the first 24-48 hrs 1% of the devices out there are selected to receive the update (the selection is random). If you’re not in this 1% then each time your phone subsequently checks for an update (in that rollout period) it will get a “not yet” response. After google check feedback on the 1% rollout then the next phase kicks off where say 25% of all devices are included. This process continues over a couple of weeks until 100% of all devices are eligible for receiving the update.

I’d imagine we’re past the 1% phase now and onto 25% ish so Stoner’s just got lucky 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for it on my N7 – I’m not lucky I guess 🙁

As has been mentioned about, Google have said that their intention is to move functionality to the apps rather than the OS so that older/lower end devices can still run well if they don’t install the more intensive apps.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Got it last night.

Nothing has really changed, fonts and icons slightly smoother. Phone still won’t connect to my 5G Wireless at home (which it hasn’t done since 4.3 update).

miketually
    Free Member

You wouldnt really know anything had changed except for a few icons, and the colour of the wifi & gsm signal bars are grey rather than blue for some reason now?

A colleague just updated his N4 and this sums up his experience so far. he also noticed there’s a location option on the quick settings (or whatever it’s called – the one you get from a 2 finger drag down on the notification bar) screen.

He hasn’t got the transparent notification bar, so perhaps that’s N5-specific?

A lot of the changes are app-level – I have SMS in Hangouts on my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean, for example.

warton
    Free Member

I’m ready to take my S3 back to 3 and ask for a new phone. still on 4.1

4.2 not available to Samsung
    4.3 just pulled by Samsung, as devices crashing and burning when updated

shambolic

Stoner
    Free Member

aha, found the location switch now too. Quite handy as I have it off mainly for battery and only turn it on when I need it. But that used to require 4 finger taps.

theflatboy
    Free Member

warton, ignore all that and get Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 instead. Thank me later.

I’m waiting for the Cyan chaps to sort out a version incorporating the latest features but I’m more than happy with 10.1 for now.

warton
    Free Member

i’ll check it out flatboy, cheers

clubber
    Free Member

You wouldnt really know anything had changed except for a few icons, and the colour of the wifi & gsm signal bars are grey rather than blue for some reason now?

IIRC grey means you’re connected but not transferring data while blue means it’s active. At least that’s what it’s like on my N7

neninja
    Free Member

Nothing for my 4 yet – not too worried as it works fine anyway.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m ready to take my S3 back to 3 and ask for a new phone. still on 4.1

4.2 not available to Samsung
    4.3 just pulled by Samsung, as devices crashing and burning when updated

shambolic

KitKat downloaded to my S3 mini at some point through the night and so I installed it this morning without any problems. I’ve not had a look yet to try and spot the differences.

KitKat on my Nexus 7 now.

Sorry clubber 😳

clubber
    Free Member

You got kitkat on your S3 mini? How? I’m hoping that kitkat might improve mine’s performance…

crankman
    Free Member

It doesn’t have the new launcher that they have on the Nexus 5, so it doesn’t look hugely different.

Having different launcher seems to break the whole idea of the ‘nexus’ thing to me. I thought the point was all ‘nexus’ devices ran pure android. If the nexus 4 and 5 look different on the same OS, that breaks that rule.

Stoner
    Free Member

clubber – thats what it used to do, it doesnt anymore. Seems to be grey all the time even when transferring data.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe taking out unnecessary things that don’t help performance, I guess.

headfirst
    Free Member

clubber, see my crafty edit above 😳

clubber
    Free Member

Dammit! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

clubber – thats what it used to do, it doesnt anymore. Seems to be grey all the time even when transferring data.

Stoner, I get this sometimes, mostly in the house, but sometimes at work, haven’t worked out what it is, but seems to right itself if I take it outside for a walk or in the car for a drive, sometimes it just rights itself if I leave it, if you look closely is there an ‘E’ above the signal bars???.
    It happened on my previous phone, so I’ve always assumed it was part of and happened for everyone. It might possibly mean one or both signals is weak, but I’ve no idea tbh. I suspect you’ll get the blue bars back.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The OTA zip file is available to download so I updated mine using sideload.

I agree about the Nexus concept, should have had all the transparency and stuff. Nova Launcher Beta adds this and works really well. Install Nova Launcher, join the Beta program on Google+ then check for an update to the app to get transparency. Looks great!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the N10 has the transparent bars?

muggomagic

You can download the Google experience launcher as an apk.
    GEL
    I have it on my nexus 4 and you get the transparent bars and Google now with a swipe to the left from the home screen.

lexinoo
    Free Member

Wife got her update last night,i had a play with it but can hardly see any difference either,quite disappointed really,I can’t see what people have been getting so excited about.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

One downer is that the Apps Ops feature of 4.3 isn’t avaiable with 4.4. There is an app on Google Play – Advanced Permission Manager – that effectively rewrites your apps but without some of the permissions that you specify should be excluded.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘KitKat rolling out for the nexus 4. Anyone got it yet.?’ is closed to new replies.