Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kitchen suppliers
  • fwb2006
    Free Member

Right gents, we have recently bought a new house and wanting to get a new kitchen installed. Does anyone have recommendations of who to use (and not!) Not looking at mega expensive but somewhere around 15k. I have already discounted B&Q etc for being crappy but wonder what experiences other people have especially from suppliers north of the border. Want all the usual slow closing drawers, not sure on worksurface yet, quite like the Corian stuff. Anbody here used NTP or Alaris? Thanks as always!

nonk
    Free Member

not sure where you live but we had one hand built to fit our wonky house by http://www.tegla.co.uk/index.html great blokes detail absessed.
    and luckily for lots of folks on here the showroom is in llandela.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You can go the fur-coat and no knickers route.

We have an Ikea kitchen with a Corian top from Alaris who were really good.

Anthony
    Free Member

Consider contacting local joiners/cabinet makers to hand-build you one. A lot depends on size but I know I can/have produced handmade kitchen for considerably less than £15k.

It takes more effort on your behalf than just picking one out of a catalogue but it is much more rewarding. Plus, your supporting local craftsmen.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We discounted b&q as crap, magnet are stupidly expensive & just as crap, wickes ok but came in @ 10k + fitting. Narrowed it down to a local shop & howdens. In the end went for howdens as it came out about 10k and that was with neff & bosch appliances. Magnet wanted 20k + appliances! IMO lighting, flooring & work surfaces make a kitchen more than the units

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ikea units are very good for the price and well engineered.

peteimpreza

"already discounted B&Q etc for being crappy"

Well more fool you. I challenge you to see our kitchen and say it's crappy.

We bought from their top end range of units and chose Bosch integrated appliances. The fitting process was seamless and highly professional. The quality of work done by the two lads who did the bulk of the work was impeccable. I would recommend those particular individuals to anyone. All the ancilliary trades arrived on time. did their work to schedule and to an equally high standard.

Obviously this may not be the case in all areas.

We got a great deal on the price as well and got interest free credit.

woffle
    Free Member

Do NOT go near Moben. Biggest bunch of shysters I've ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.

We found a local chippie and bought the units from Ikea along with their most efficient appliances (Whirlpool). Our induction hob was the same model as my parents bought 'branded' for nearly double the Ikea cost. The only advice I'd / our fitter would give would be that the worktops aren't the best (we'll probably upgrade to corian at some point) and that the backs of the units are pretty flush which isn't the most forgiving when installing in an old house (apparently Wickes /B&Q units have a decent gap between the backs and the walls which is helpful)- our kitchen doesn't have the straightest / smoothest walls…

project
    Free Member

Moben seem to have a diffeent tape measure to measure than the fitter as nothing fitted for a customer a few years ago.
    Howdens charge for every single bit,plinths are just 6 inch contiboard, and they charge the earth.

B AND Q, pizza box kitchens thats how they arrive,then where do you take the carboard.

Wickes not bad.

Magnet, expensive.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My mate James fits bespoke kitchens, the last one he did cost over 150k (yes really) he reckons B and Q are fine as are Wickes.

I had more to spend but in the end went for B and Q and three years on it looks as good as it did on day one. Doors have needed adjusting here and there but otherwise fine. Spent the bulk of my budget on worktops, flooring and appliances. Also have a couple of spare draw fronts, doors etc. A cupboard is a cupboard at the end of the day..

Tracey

Just ordered mine from Riverside in Penistone, cant wait for it fitting

Tracey

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Mark Wilkinson, stunning kitchens.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm still not convinced on B&Q so not going there, has anyone used germandiscountkitchens.com? I've been to one of their showrooms and they have some really nice and seemingly well made cabinets so would appreciate feedback on them. One display in their showrooms was nice, it has a cabinet and drawer from all the major suppliers and let you compare the quality and closing action between them, seemigly nice touch so long as it's truely comparable.. Who would have thought choosing a kitchen could be so difficult!

teagirl
    Free Member

Mark Wilkinson for 15k, I think not.

lyons
    Free Member

I agree, contact a local joiner/ cabintet maker…. You should end up witha a really nice kitchen for not a huge ammount.

clive
    Free Member

Bespoke kitchens yep thats me 😀

Send me a email can send you a few pics from my portfolio
    My email is in my profile
    were are you based ?

jonb
    Free Member

Don't know who fitted the kitchen in our current house. Think it was kitchens direct or a group of small children, it's hard to tell.

Personally I'd go for a local builder, joiner and ask them to build you something or buy it from Howdens or similar. Trouble is finding a reputable builder.

clive
    Free Member

Howdens are probably the most appalling kitchen I have ever had the misfortune to fit

Out of square units with side panels that are to small to scribe, leaving you with a nasty looking gap

Legs that snap off on the tall units and cross thread on the base units

Horrible !!!!

Builders love them though as they get a 65% discount and then mark the cost back up to the client

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen suppliers’ is closed to new replies.