Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kitchen splashbacks
  • timbur
    Free Member

Right, the Mrs and I need a hob splashback. Anyone got any experience of these? Is 1mm thick stainless steel enough or is it better to get it mounted on mdf and folded around the corners?

Cheers

Tim

Rio

We just got a piece of stainless steel cut to size and stuck it to the wall with spray contact adhesive. But I guess your success will depend on how flat your wall is – ours was newly plastered so not too bad, and in a recess so the edges don’t show.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Never had problem with splashbacks in my kitchen. I dont piss in my kitchen though

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I sold a few a long time ago on eBay for a friend. They were about 1mm stainless folded to make recessed flanges. The idea being you screwed them to the wall and then tiled over the flange and screws. There was no MDF backing.

timbur
    Free Member

This will be a stand alone affair on a new plaster wall so the edges need to be tidy!

sam_underhill

I’ve got tiles myself. But I’ve been looking at these guys for a magnetic rack. They have been excellent in answering questions (which is so often not the case these days!). Prices look pretty good. No idea about quality as yet

Rio

This will be a stand alone affair on a new plaster wall so the edges need to be tidy!

The I’d go for the non-MDF approach. A properly cut stainless steel sheet has nice edges and looks fine glued to a flat wall. If your wall’s not flat you either end up bending the sheet to fit the wall, which doesn’t look good when it reflects the light, or you end up with gaps between the edge and the plaster which you can’t fill with grout as that looks naff. Sticking it to a piece of MDF won’t help if your wall’s not flat as the stainless steel may stay flat but you’ll still get the gaps.

tinribz
    Free Member

You can get stainless steel ikea doors that are essentially the folded ones you refer to.

singletrackmind

I have a marbled splashback, machine block finish or Peacock eye marbling some people call it.
    Its approx 1.5mm sheet , and having the swirl means it does not have to be cleaned every day. As its SS i wipe a small amount of olive oil over it which makes it easier to clean .
    Its wedged between 2 units and surrounded by extrusions, wish it was bonded to the wall tho. I imagine it would hide a fair bit of roughness underneath if it hadnt been plastered prior to kitchen fit.

GrahamS

As its SS i wipe a small amount of olive oil over it which makes it easier to clean .

Baby Oil works well too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen splashbacks’ is closed to new replies.