Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • kitchen plywood doors/worktop – any experts in
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

They look excellent, in the next few months we are extending the family chateau and a new kitchen is in order, the boss has expressed an interest in plywood doors and worktop with Formica.

Having now spoken to one of only a handful of people found on google prices seem to vary. yes its more £ but not that much more as we will be reusing the carcasses.

Anyone had any dealings with plywood kitchen doors etc ?

Mikey
    Free Member

Go for it, it will look great.
    AS long as it is finished with an appropriate oil or varnish it will be hardwearing especially with a formica top.
    I am assuming you mean birch ply when you say ply.
    I have made a lot of furniture with it and oiled it with white osmo oil and it looks really good.

ourmaninthenorth

We’re considering similar – I’ve had an initial chat with Matt Antrobus who makes just this sort of thing.

Google him – Bristol based IIRC

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Spoken to him these guys see below do the same thing and are a lot cheaper and friendly

http://www.plylam.co.uk/worktops.html

jamiesilo
    Free Member

can’t get better than birch ply as a material.
    made loads of stuff out of birch and melamine.
    as long as laminate is well-glued it’ll last forever.
    don’t be cutting direct on the surface tho ey? : )

wwaswas

I made a worktop and attached formica to it – we wanted some curves and it was easier to make it – used 22mm and 18mm mdf sheets glued and screwed together for the base and then bought a couple of 8×4 sheets of real formica and some just over 50mm strip the same colour (so I could trim it exactly flush with the work top.

Getting the edging strip attached was the worse part.

Trimming with a router was ok but the formica chips bloomin’ hurt when they hit you at high speed so wear long sleeves and something on your face.

Only issue we has was that the square edge on the work top was comparatively brittle so you had to be careful swinging saucepans etc around.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘kitchen plywood doors/worktop – any experts in’ is closed to new replies.