Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Kitchen Knives – Recommendations?
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of kitchen knife? I’m after a carbon steel (not stainless or ceramic) ‘cooks knife’.

I remember there was a knife thread a while back, and someone knew a person that actually made kitchen knives at a good price.

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m loving my Wusthof Classics. Understated design, excellent balance and they take an edge like nothing else. Not too cheap, but built to last.

http://www.wuesthof.de/en/classic-knife-collections.asp

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Globals are lovely and last a long time. I have a couple of friends who are chefs and swear by them.

Futureboy77

Sabatier

righty
    Free Member

Kai Shun

footstomper
    Free Member

Kai Shun gets my vote also.

ourmaninthenorth

Do not, whatever you do, wash the knife in the dishwasher. Blunts them in no time.

Mrs North uses Global. I for one wouldn’t argue with her when she’s in the kitchen!

Albanach
    Free Member

I got a few Globals in the last 18 months and delighted with them, got the most recent carving knife set from here.

Got a Shinkansen MinoSharp Water Sharpener as well as I don’t have the knack or the confidence for the proper steel sharpener, and it does the job perfectly. Agree with ourmaninthenorth about the dishwasher effect – wrecks them.

Conor
    Free Member

Tried global, these are better (for me- lighter, prefer handle and they keep edge longer).

Tijoro

simondbarnes

I really like THESE

matthewjb
    Free Member

Wusthof Classics here as well

They do a cooks knife with a deeper blade which is really good.

Conor
    Free Member

Oh no, I have something in common with SFB!! 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

Love our globals.

traildog
    Free Member

sDb actually…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a full set of Sabatier Pro knives – really like them. You need to be careful with Sabatier tho as there are various different ones on the market and some are better than others.

A friend has Global knives – really nice.

ransos
    Free Member

Why would dishwashers make these knives go blunt?

richc
    Free Member

they can rattle around in them as the water is flushed through and knock against other hard items.

Also the detergent etc, doesn’t do the handles and fixings any good.

toby1

Henckels twin fin are doing the job in my kitchen well at the moment.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Those Kai Shun knives look lovely, but are a little over budget I think.

The Tojiro knives look like a nice option for more reasonable option, so I might check those out.

funkynick

I just love my Globals… have had them about 10 years now and they are still going strong.

And just be careful with some of the Japanese knives, you can’t use a normal steel to sharpen them as they are harder than the steel! You need to use a ‘ceramic steel’ or water stone instead.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Global all day long, had mine for about 5 years now. I use their Diamond sharpener steel before each use, they are far better than the Sabatier and Victorinox that they replaced IMHO.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does anyone make kitchen knives out proper Shefield steel anymore?
    Would be nice to buy British in these times rather than help out Johnny Foreigner.

smiffy

Don’t bother buying decent knives unless know how you are going to sharpen them. Plenty money gets wasted this way.

ourmaninthenorth

Why would dishwashers make these knives go blunt?

As rich says, the rattling around means that the edges are blunted. Also, the detergents are very harsh, often containing a lot of salt, which is abrasive on the cutting edge.

twohats
    Free Member

Don’t bother buying decent knives unless know how you are going to sharpen them. Plenty money gets wasted this way.

One of these

And one of these

Keeps your Globals perfect without the need for sharpening skills.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you really want good carbon steel knives I recommend ordering from
    Janese Chefs Knife.

I have ordered three knives directly from this site and they all arrived within a week. Very friendly and efficient. This site is also highly recommended by kitchen knives forum members.

My current favourite is Suien Chinese Cleaver which I got before Xmas.

But if you want a normal entry level but workhorse carbon steel knives I suggest going for Fujiwara FKH series Gyuto and choose the 210mm length. I have the Santoku and some say that is for "housewife" because it is not similar to western knife. Gyuto is closer to western knife.

But do browse around for the one that suits your budget.

Tojiro DP is also good for entry level carbon steel. I have a Tojiro F-920 Chinese clever too.

I would not go for Global at all when there are so many good Carbon steel knives available.

🙂

allyharp

Someone I know who works in a mortuary says they use Kitchen Devils and highly recommends them! (seriously)

Sandwich

I’ve had these for 6 years now without any problems

Clicky pic
    Now very cheap compared to what I paid 🙁

martinw
    Free Member

You can still get Sheffield knives: http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/Kitchen_Knives.html

I bought my Dad a set of the rosewood handled ones and he loves them. Great knives too.

tyke
    Free Member

Following the knive thread that I think you are referring that was on the forum last year I went and got a set of Sabatiers from TK Maxx at about 20% of the RRP.

BFITH
    Free Member

Wusthof or Henckels (Zwilling)…. anything made in Solingen….

Anthony
    Free Member

Henckels seem to be the Global of 10yrs ago for TV chefs.

I have one as it came free with a Kitchen-aid mixer. It’s rrp was about £65 and I have to say in a rack of 6 other knives it is the one we always reach for first.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Some of the knives on that JCK site are simply stunning:

Who would have thought you could easily spend over US$1000 on a knife.

Some of the knife forums make for (semi) interesting reading. Seems like Global is the Specialized on the knife world – good solid product, but you can probably do better for the price.
    I’m definately leaning towards the Japanese styles now, just a matter of deciding which, though Fujiwara look like a good starting point.

chewkw
    Free Member

The Hiromoto is amongst the best carbon steel you can find. High end but affordable. I was going to the Gyuto but ended up with Chinese cleaver as I much prefer cleaver.

Go for the Aogami Super series as that is one of the best carbon steel around.

Tenmi Jyraku series (Aogami Super)

😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Also, to keep your edge sharp only use whetstones rather than steel. Keep away from steel as that is for honing only and for carbon knives you do not need them.

You should be able to find some whetstones here … go for grit 500, 1000, 4000, or even 8000 if you want.

😀

Frankers
    Free Member

Solingen steel is very good

Go for Zwilling

Available from Amazon + other places

From the same town as Wusthof as mentioned above but Zwilling are more well know in Germany

nickc

It doesn’t matter. Really, it doesn’t.

What the food tastes like has eff all to do with what name is on the knife.

Sharp, is about all you need.

atlaz
    Free Member

Another vote for Wusthof here. They’ve lasted longer than any other knives I’ve had.

twohats
    Free Member

Do people really wear knives out, or trash them doing really gnarly cutting moves!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen Knives – Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.