Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Kitchen Knife Recommendations?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve found quite a few old threads on this (some as much as 4 years old!) so thought it was maybe worth an up to date check to see what people have and like.

My old cheap habitat knives are done in after years in the dishwasher so need to replace. After looking round at various things and being tempted by fancy Japanese things at £100+, I’ve come back down to a much more sensible price range and am keen on either the Victorinox Fibrox or Eden Damast range, it looks like there are users of both on the forum.

I like the look of the Eden the best but am slightly put off by the fact that the harder Japanese steel is more likely to chip, and also seems more of a pain the ass to sharpen. The Victorinox seem a very sensible buy, good price, well reviewed and very widely used.

What are people using and what would you recommend?

jeffl

Dunno but don’t put the new ones in the dishwasher.

ElShalimo

Victorinox Rosewood knives were recommended to me by a chef. They are easy to sharpen, not that expensive to buy and last a long time.

mrmo
    Free Member

i got a few rosewood handled victorinox knives, they are sharp enough and are easy to keep sharp and do the job. Don’t think they can be dishwasher-ed though.

Expensive knives might be nicer but being honest i would rather spend the money on other things when these do the job well enough.

warton
    Free Member

I now you’re put off by the price, but my Global is 17 years old. 5 years working in a kitchen, and 12 years daily use at home. i use a standard steel to keep it sharp – not razor sharp but more than good enough. every 6 months i put an edge back on it.

IHN

Get thee to TK Maxx. We picked up some nice knives for not a lot of money. As above, wash them by hand and they last much longer.

russianbob
    Free Member

I tend to find that looking after them is better than splashing loads of cash. Though if you do buy an expensive one you’re more likely to look after it. My Blok, bought quite a few years back now so not as expensive as they currently are by a long shot, is well looked after as a result of it’s expense. Granted I could have bought something a lot cheaper, and probably better, but just fancied one as a treat to myself.

I’ve never heard of Eden but have heard good things about Victorinox.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

One thing is for certain, the new ones won’t be going anywhere near the dishwasher!

sbob
    Free Member

Every chef I have worked with has recommended cheapo Victorinox.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

@sbob that does seem to be the consensus from a lot of the reviews I’ve read.

For those that have not seen them, Eden are own brand from Knives & Tools. They are sourced direct from Japan, supposedly from factories that make for a number of known brands. They are priced a little more than the Victorinox and seem to get good reviews in the few places that have them, including a number of chef forums.
    http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/eden-quality-classic-damast.htm

stevied
    Free Member

Bought a set of these recently. Really good quality, nice balance and easy to keep sharp. Never been near the dishwasher..

http://www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop/product.asp?pid=KY050

jimdubleyou

Every chef I have worked with has recommended cheapo Victorinox.

Is that including any with their own brand of knives? 😛

We got a global knife block as a wedding gift 8 years ago (or so) still going strong. Saw same the same thing in the shop last week and I wouldn’t get it now – far too expensive.

chewkw
    Free Member

… Victorinox Fibrox or Eden Damast range …

Both are fine in my view but I only have the former while the latter VG-10 steel is also very good at maintaining it’s edge.

I prefer Victorinox for the look, comfort and feel.

How about trying something nicer like Shun Kanso Asian Utility Knife 7-inch but I don’t know where you can buy one in the UK.

p/s: … I have too many knives … normally a Chinese cleaver user …

Stoner
    Free Member

just this last hour taken delivery of a Lakeland full tang, fully forged, breadknife after Mrs S dropped my Evolution one and it broke.

First feel suggests that as and when I want replacement knives I may well look at Lakeland again. Really good weight and quality feel to this

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15224/Fully-Forged–Bread-Knife?src=awdef&afid=201309&afname=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2F

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy knives that feel right to you. I went to my LKS and tried a few out. No, really, I did!

Ended up with Wüsthof Classic. Nice weight, look suitably understated, feel lovely to use.

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh ya … these two are very nice, good and comfortable coz I have both … :mrgreen:

Zwilling Chinese chef’s knife TWIN® Point

Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN Signature 7″ Chinese Vegetable Cleaver

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stoner. You won’t be disappointed in that breadknife.

101 for making your own bread. Get a good knife .

I can cut so thin and straight with the Lakeland knife.

Nice weight as well. Most breadknifes I’ve seen/used with sets regardless of how good the other knifes are seem to be cheap flexy add on knifes rather than good bread knifes.

dantsw13

Ive just bought a set from Procook – really nice, very sharp, well weighted. Good prices too.

willard

VG10 is a good steel for a knife generally and it can be kept sharp easily enough.

For the love of whatever is holy, please don’t put the new set through the dishwasher… It’s the quickest way to kill an edge.

Daffy

I’d previously have suggested Global, but having had two fail in spectacular fashion over the past 6 years, I might now suggest something else.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

@chekw definitely fancy a Shun in the future, or some other fancy knife (my wife almost got me a Blenheim Forge for Christmas, but sadly decided otherwise) but for now I just want a half decent workhorse set for every day use that doesn’t break the bank. I (or my wife) can treat me to something fancy at some point in the future.

Sundayjumper

Globals here. Unless I do something spectacularly stupid with them I can’t foresee ever needing to replace them.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’d previously have suggested Global, but having had two fail in spectacular fashion over the past 6 years, I might now suggest something else.

In the research I’ve done I’ve read of a lot of failures, so for that reason really not keen on the Global.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I can cut so thin and straight with the Lakeland knife.

Thin slices of bread?!?!
    I’m out.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

just this last hour taken delivery of a Lakeland full tang, fully forged, breadknife after Mrs S dropped my Evolution one and it broke.

First feel suggests that as and when I want replacement knives I may well look at Lakeland again. Really good weight and quality feel to this
    Got one for fresh bread which is a nightmare to slice. Looks/feels great, cuts well and would have me heading back to Lakeleand if I need another knife.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m pretty pleased with my Tsuki knives –

Tsuki knives

I’ve been buying one every Christmas for the last 4-5 years.
    Have held an edge pretty well so far, and I’m waiting for a Lansky sharpening kit to arrive so I can give them all a touch-up.

I’ve also got an Opinel bread knife which is super sharp and cuts brilliantly.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Interesting Freeagent, those Tsuki look the same as Eden, which I guess is inevitable given Eden are just branded up from a far eastern factory. I’ll be able to nip into my local Nisbets to see them in the flesh now rather than taking a punt online.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d not heard of Eden, but yes – they do look exactly the same.

I’m pretty pleased with them – I’m well aware they are knocked out of a far-eastern factory but I’m happy with the quality/price.

The Tsukis live in a knife roll in the drawer and only come out when I’m cooking.
    My dear wife uses knives as screwdrivers and puts them through the dishwasher, so we have a cheap set for everyday use.

I’m a bit of a knife fiend and have an ever growing collection – including some amazing butchers knives which my Grandad used in the 50’s/60’s.

prettygreenparrot

Many many moons ago I wanted to move on from my 6″ Habitat ‘Sabatier’ knife. After a bunch of looking around I plumped for a Global G2 20cm Cook’s knife. Light, a good balance of flexibility/stiffness, nice balance in the hand, easy to grip, and a delight to wash and dry. I see they’re £99 on Amazon these days.

Sharpening is straightforward and it keeps its edge OK.

Naturally, since getting that one I’ve gathered a few more. In reality I think the only 2 I would keep if I had to make the choice are that old 20cm cook’s knife and the incredibly good bread knife.

The others I have are 18cm and 14cm vegetable ‘choppers’, 11cm GS1 kitchen knife, GF34 27cm chef’s knife (a gift).

Kind of wish I had a sushi knife but the cook’s knife works OK. The vegetable choppers are great for rooty vegetables but not necessary. And the 11cm knife is great for intricate work.

I’ve tried a few other knives and still really like these. Though I really like the look of those Damascus steel blades

[edit] I did try a couple of small ceramic knives for cutting tomatoes and acidic fruit but I really don’t like them.

gonzy
    Free Member

we’ve been using stellar knives for the last 12 years. cant fault them…easy to sharpen and once they are sharpened they cut through anything with ease
    we have a Stellar Santoku and a Stellar Usuba…although he Usuba needs replacing as the bamboo handle came off

they’re cheap to buy from TR Maxx

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I use a largish one of these for almost all of my kitchen work. It’s light, thin and cuts pretty much everything well. Good curve for quick thin slicing and chopping herbs, not much width to wedge it when cutting turnips etc. Love it really https://www.rosenthal.co.uk/en/shop/products-en/cutlery-en-1/knives-en/cooking-knives/santoku-knife-125-mm-en/

freeagent
    Free Member

Tesco did an offer on those Rosenthal knives a couple of years ago, you had to collect tokens and got the knives at a huge discount.
    We’ve got the 5″ Santoku which is used daily (and goes through the dishwasher daily)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yep I think it’s a 5″ blade one that I use. I also got a smaller one which I have barely touched

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any decent Sabatier, and look after it.

daftvader
    Free Member

theres a chap on here who has been known to make a chefs knife or two!!! *cough* NOT ADVERTISING COGAR 😀
    that said, any of the main brand knives are pretty good these days. best to go have a feel and see what fits your hand

leffeboy

The dishwasher thing is amazing though. I have one knife I keep really sharp and you can tell instantly if its accidentally been through the dishwasher 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

OP you should get a custom knife(s) from daftvader. :mrgreen:

Try the design like Shun Asian utility shape as that is a very nice knife shape.

daftvader
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was me chewi!!!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dishwasher minerals will eat any sharp edge quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen Knife Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.