• This topic has 37 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Kitchen knife
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

What’s a good kitchen knife. Budget around £70. Any recommendations. It’s for a Christmas present.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve got several REALLY expensive knives.
    Love them.
    Really do, a joy to use, well balanced, etc.
    However….
    The ones I use more than anything are the Kitchen Devils.
    Light, great grip, wickedly sharp, take no care at all other than running them across the sharpener occasionally.

rone

Kitchen Devils here too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Got Maxim Giraud Sabatiers, and had a set of Globals.

I prefer my IKEA knives.

I know that’s no help at all. But I do think there is a lot of cock talked about knives

hammyuk
    Free Member

The IKEA ones are made in the same factory as the Kitchen Devils 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ah ha!

That is interesting!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My preference is these;

Nice, understated and easy to keep sharp.

Also, include a penny with it. Bad luck to give knives as a present!

stu170
    Free Member

The other half bought me 2 Sabatier’s from Aldi last year, fantastic knives

TheFlyingOx

Robert Welch Signature santoku knife. Stupidly sharp, excellent balance, rarely needs sharpening, well under budget.

CHB

If you have an Amefa/Richardson Sheffield outlet near you then I really recommend a Midori Santoku knife.

http://www.richardsonsheffield-studentknives.com/collections/midori-knives

You can pick them up for about £60.

jkomo

Westhof trident +1
    Only need one decent cooks knife like cfh above.
    A small peeling knife can be more run of the mill.
    A good carving knife is nice though.

MrNutt
    Free Member

go to a newly opened TK Maxx store, they appear to stock Zwilling Henkels 5 star knives for a short period at absurdly cheap prices.

(tell no one, its my secret)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all I’ll Google away at these. Ta.

chewkw
    Free Member

There are some good Japanese KAI Seki Magoroku 3000 ST series kitchen knives (or 2000 series) at TK Maxx at the moment. I missed out on one of the gyuto last week as the last one was bought by a couples. Aarrhhh …

bravesirrobin

Isn’t it bad karma to give a knife as a present? Anyway I have a set of German Zwilling Henckels knives that are very nice but are completely outclassed by the Robert Welch knife that we have added. That one up there recommended by The Flying Ox is the one I’d be buying.

drlex
    Free Member

Also, include a penny with it.

And a reminder that she give you the penny back to “pay” for it. If it wasn’t for the bike knowledge, I’d think CFH was one of my grandfathers.
    TKMaxx a good source of reasonably-priced knives.

nedrapier

Also, include a penny with it. Bad luck to give knives as a present!

so they need to give you 2p back?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

drlex, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you…..

😀

whatgoesup

I bought my 3 Global knifes in 2008 for GBP105 according to my Amazon account history (i.e. GBP35 per knife). Looks like an older version of this
    Global Knife Set

With daily use and a quick run through the “Shinkansen” sharpener every few weeks, they’re still like new 7 years later, razor sharp and a pleasure to use.

Thinking about it, they’re way better value than any of the cheap knives I bought previously.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I picked up a pair of santuko knives in Aldi for £12 last year. Better than my £150 knives…..

That said I will one day make a purchase from the Japanese knife shop in London.

whatgoesup

BTW I still have the IKEA knives I used before buying the Globals – they’re relegated to “rough” duties to avoid damaging the good knives. They’re perfectly OK, but need sharpening a lot (not just because they get the nasty jobs). How anyone that’s used both prefers them beats me.

ourmaninthenorth

You need three knives, maximum four:

Chef’s knife
    Utility/paring knife
    Bread knife
    (Carving knife – optional)

chewkw
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

What! Maximum four! 😯

There can never be enough knives oh no no … forget four knives just start collecting as many as you can. Like me. 😀

Victorinox are also good and I bought several of them when they were on sale two years ago … I just need more knives!

😛

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Chef’s knife
    Utility/paring knife
    Bread knife
    (Carving knife – optional)

This. Except swap the bread knife for a filleting knife. Bread comes in slices, freshly caught fish doesn’t.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

+1 Victorinox, my Sabatiers don’t get used anymore. Had an excellent ceramic knife but managed to snap the blade surprisingly easily.

trusz
    Free Member

Tojiro DP

I have the chef’s knife and a utility knife. Never needed anything else. Awesome for the money.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Victorinox seem good to me. Dishwasher safe. And recommended by my chef brother-in-law. Do need sharpening three times a year if you dishwasher them though.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Honestly the best knifes for the money ive found so far are Robert Herder Windmulen knifes. The standard hardness ones ive tried ( petty and santoku) are just amazing to use as they are ground so thin. This is compared to high end japanese knifes too. Eden web shops sells some, but not whole range. Buy one of them and use the rest of the money for a lansky crock stick sharpener. Ps carbon steel only cant vouch for their stainless ones
    http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-robert-herder-santoku-mes-16-5-cm-pruimenhout.htm

popstar
    Free Member

Tojiro DP range +1.

Proper vg12 steel hardness rating over 60 vs 56/58 European style. It’s harder to sharpen them up on a stone but once you master technique then any knife sharpened by you will be “special”.

So yeah, proper sharpening stones + sharpening technique is better than any fancy knife.

CountZero

This. Except swap the bread knife for a filleting knife. Bread comes in slices, freshly caught fish doesn’t.

Proper bread doesn’t. I’ll bet far more people will need to slice bread than fillet fish.

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Proper bread doesn’t. I’ll bet far more people will need to slice bread than fillet fish. [/quote]

Buy both … errmmm … buy all. I have both. 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

Ginsu! Obvs… 🙄

[video]https://youtu.be/abLB7aTmnE4[/video]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Not a fan of Global knives. Slippery when your hands are wet / greasy etc.

I also took the tip of my little finger off with a Global. First day I had it too.

Wusthoff or MAC for general knives and a Sabatier cleaver for me.

manton69

I use my boning knife and filleting knife a lot. Virtually all my meat and fish come from local sources or I get it myself. You cannot gut fillet and skin (if absolutely necessary) fish without the flex you get from a good filleting knife.

I don’t necessarily think you have to have the best knives, you just need to learn how to sharpen them correctly. I have an old Victorinox for paring duties and it is very good and I am not precious about it. The Japanese Damascus knife, however, only gets used for special jobs and is washed immediately and dried then put away in the knife roll. Not odd about this at all really, but I do get asked to sharpen everybody’s knives when I got to friends house which is a bit weird.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

We got some great richardson sheffields in a local factory stock place. Set of 5 for just over 100. Wickedly sharp, balanced and look quite understated. Spent a lot of my early life working/helping run restaurants and most chefs felt balance was one of the biggest factors in a good knife.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all, decided to get the this one, looks really nice. was tempted by the Wusthoff one too, but decided a good knife plus a block will do nicely. Best of both worlds. 🙂

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003E5RCGS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A15PELT05YS1YV

And I seen a set of kitchen devils for £25.

I’ll make sure I charge a penny! 😆

gonzy
    Free Member

the wife has a range of the Kitchen Devil knives that we’ve had for a few years but i prefer to use the ones made by Stellar.
    i had a Stellar Samurai Usuba 16.5cm which was absolutely awesome. perfect balance and crazy sharp. hardly needed sharpening and when it did that was dead easy to do. the wooden handle eventually snapped after 8 years of continual use….even the wife started to use it…that got replaced by another Stellar Santoku James Martin edition….that one is just as good but i preferred the Usuba.
    the biggest Kitchen Devil hardly gets pulled out of the knife block but the smaller ones still get used, but most of the time the Stellar gets used.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen knife’ is closed to new replies.