Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Kitchen hobs – Induction vs Ceramic vs Gas
  • Pieface

Currently using a ceramic hob and get on with it OK. The distribution and responsiveness of the heat control I’ve gotten used to, and the convenience of cleaning is a bonus.

We’ll hopefully be moving soon and buying a new cooker is a necessity. I like the instant response of gas, but the cleaning of them is a PITA (I know, pampered life).

Will an induction hob give me the responsiveness of gas but with the convenience of ceramic? Or will I get that with a better ceramic. Whats cheapest to run?

Pretty sure I’ll stick with an electric hob but if it was your choice, what would you do?

wukfit
    Free Member

Gas hob, electric oven is my preferred

grantway
    Free Member

Induction rather than ceramic.. But Gas rather than induction (personal choice)
    If you only have a small amount of work space and not bothered on heat source
    I will use Induction

trail_rat
    Free Member

Would crawl over hot coals to get my induction removed.

When i do get round to decorating the kitchen im going down the bottled gas route no questions. More pricey , more hassle , but sooo worth it if you cook rather than reheat.

Look at gas on glass , helped my dad fit one last week , just a cooke and lewis from bnq but looked a nice bit of kit that should be easier to clean than a stainless

peteimpreza

Gas hob, electric oven.

brakes
    Free Member

gas, just just burn the muck off.
    get one with a rough finish on it so you just need to clean it, not polish it – and don’t bother cleaning the burners.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Having used induction at a cook school I’d have that over gas every time. It would have to be a modern one though and no touch sensitive stuff either; proper dials only. I’d never have electric or ceramic hob.

Electric fan oven though, no doubt about that.

Markie
    Free Member

Gas.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Gas for the simplicity and speed – BUT the new induction hobs are almost as fast and use roughly half the energy that gas does so it starts to get difficult
    The pans you use matter massively with induction though – where gas is basically anything

scandalous
    Free Member

Induction convert here. Superb heat transfer in a much more uniform pattern with no typical gas hotspots and easy wipe clean. Looks lovely too!

househusband

We’ve got a new induction hob and I am never less than amazed by it. It is way better than I thought it’d be; fast, responsive and clean. Village doesn’t have mains gas and it has proven to be just as fast and responsive anyway. Best thing is that splashes fall onto a cool surface so never become dried on.

ronniethescot
    Free Member

Induction 100%
    I’ve worked in professional kitchens for the last 20 year’s.

brakes
    Free Member

what’s the deal with induction pans?
    are they expensive?
    are they non-stick?

what’s the relative cost of a decent induction hob versus gas?

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Modern induction here. Didn’t want it originally but now well used to it. Love the way you can programme each ring for simmer & additional power when you need it. Very quick to respond with the rest of the hob not getting hot. Pan wise, got some Le Creuset from the second shop in town.

scandalous
    Free Member

cant flambé on an induction as well though!

househusband

what’s the deal with induction pans?
    are they expensive?
    are they non-stick?

If the pan is magnetic then it’ll work with an induction hob; the stainless steel ones I had were fine so we didn’t need to get another set when we got the induction hob.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines is an old induction the previous owner left…. I might try a modern one…..in someone elses house first 🙂

vonplatz
    Free Member

Induction can boil water faster than a kettle and is far more efficient. Can’t stir fry on it though….

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Most stainless steel pans are austenetic (non magnetic) and won’t work with induction.

Martensitic stainless steel pans will, as will iron pans (le creuset etc)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but sooo worth it if you cook rather than reheat.

Very true. Gas every time.

andyl
    Free Member

I wish I had the choice….stuck with electric metal hot plate things in our new place 🙁

Pieface

Why can’t you do a stir fry with induction, is it because of the wok?

househusband

Induction relies upon creating heat in the base of the pan through electromagnetic induction, hence only works with steel (or mertensitic as per thekingisdead) pans – and the base of the pan needs to be in close proximity to the surface of the hob. Woks are often aluminium and rounded so won’t work!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Mines is an old induction the previous owner left…. I might try a modern one…..in someone elses house first

TR Nick Nairns cook school uses them so you could use one there if you booked a class. They’re not exactly the cheapest at about £3.5k for the range type oven with an induction hob but very easy to use.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you’re serious about your cooking and want the best bang for your buck – Gas hob every time.

They’re also not that hard to keep clean if you give them a quick once over every couple of days, they stay clean.

I would also strongly reccomend Bosch’s range of self cleaning electric ovens. They are brilliant.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“They’re not exactly the cheapest at about £3.5k for the range type oven with an induction hob but very easy to use.”

thats very many gas bottles ….

gonefishin
    Free Member

Like I said not cheap but they are getting on for catering quality hobs ovens and grill and if you are going to be replacing your existing set up anyway you should be looking at the incremantal cost rather than the total. For info the equivalent ovens to the ones that the cook school uses but with the gas hobs are actually slighly more expensive.

martinhutch

If the OP has a nice set of cookware which may or may not become entirely useless with a new induction hob, that’s something to check out.

I love my induction hob though – wipe clean, as fast as gas, although not quite as powerful, and obviously harder to control because it has to be in full contact with the ‘ring’ all the time in order to work.

brakes
    Free Member

can you get an induction hob with 3 ‘rings’ and a big gas burner in place of the 4th?

Albanach
    Free Member

brakes I reckon you would be hard pushed to get it on the same panel if you know what I mean.
    We have an Electrolux Induction hob with touch controls and love it – wipe clean, looks good, faster than gas, very easy to use. Stir fry done lady week for the first time and it went well .

andyfla
    Free Member

£3.5K for induction ???? eh ? try a couple of hundred each
    We just put an induction hob and elec ovens in (NEF 4 ring) – superb, way better than gas

Pro
    heats faster than anything else (inc gas)
    more responsive
    less wasted heat than gas
    cools quickly
    wipe clean

Cons:
    You may need to buy new pans – if so not very expensive
    You cant flambe …. its obviously something I miss 😀
    Cant wok, unless you buy an induction wok ….

We are in derby if you want to come and try

willard

My dad swore by his induction hob and it was bloody good for boiling and the like. I like our gas hob, but sometimes thing it can be a bit aggressive, giving localised burning on a simmer, that sort of thing.

If you have mains gas, go for gas. Otherwise, I’d be tempted to go for a modern induction hub.

Stick with an electric fan assisted oven though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive just been reminded of another reason we will be having gas over induction.

thursday and friday were our first extended powercut of the year.

gas carries on regardless if you have a box of matches.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We were faced with this choice recently. Bought an induction cooker as I can’t stand ceramic hobs. Always used gas before, is gas better than induction, I’d say not, having now used both.

Most induction units seem to have touch controls, I’m not a big fan.

hooli

We have induction because we dont have gas in our village otherwise it would be gas for sure.

Induction is OK, certainly heats a pot of water up quickly and almost no residual heat once it is turned off. Think you get used to it pretty quickly and unless you are a chef I cant see it making a big difference.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen hobs – Induction vs Ceramic vs Gas’ is closed to new replies.