Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • kitchen flooring
  • jools182
    Free Member

Bit of a mumsnet question but..

I’m trying to choose some kitchen flooring

It’s a small stone cottage, only 2 rooms downstairs, kitchen and living room

I’ve used solid oak flooring in the living room and new kitchen is being fitted next week – white gloss units, dark grey worktops

I’ve been looking at laminates or vinyl tiles from kronospan and karndean

timber look laminate – might detract from the solid wood floor in the living room

tile look laminate – never seen these in person, not sure how good they look

vinyl tiles – means getting the floor really smooth and level, plus not sure how long they stay stuck down

anyone any experience?

northernmatt

Don’t use stick down flooring in anywhere that is going to get a decent amount of traffic through it. I put some down in our dining room in February and its started lifting in a couple of places already. I used 5mm laminated vinyl click together flooring in our bathroom and that’s worked a treat.

nickjb
    Free Member

Stuck tiles stay stuck if properly fitted. I regularly spec them for visitor centres that get way more foot traffic than any kitchen. Usually Amtico. Has to be done right so might be worth getting a recommended fitter in but they can be DIYed. I’m always a bit wary of finishes that try to look like something else but some of the vinyl tiles are pretty good. I think the stone ones tend to look better than the wood ones. If you do go for wood some tiles can bought as ‘planks’ rather than squares which tend to look better. You do need a good flat floor but that isn’t that hard.

I put some Amtico left over from a job into our toilet and some cheap B&Q tiles into the kitchen just to get something down. The Amtico is about 100 times better than B&Q cheapies. Probably would have about 5 times price at retail.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I put some Amtico left over from a job into our toilet and some cheap B&Q tiles into the kitchen just to get something down. The Amtico is about 100 times better than B&Q cheapies. Probably would have about 5 times price at retail.

This ^
    Karndean is really good too IF fitted properly. Also very easy to replace if there is local damage, although it’s as tough as nails so unlikely to need replacing. There are also several grades available and the more expensive are much thicker and hard wearing.

Given the choice of laminate v Amtico/Karndean I’d choose the latter every time.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have just had some Amtico Spacia wood plank effect tiles fitted in my bathroom & they look really good. They feel nice under bare feet as well. As with a lot of things, preparation is the key. I think pressure sensitive adhesive is used which gives a very strong bond to the sub base.

footflaps

timber look laminate – might detract from the solid wood floor in the living room

Was in a house last WE which had oak effect Laminate, I thought it was a engineered oak floor it was so well done.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘kitchen flooring’ is closed to new replies.