Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kitchen extractor dampness
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve really tried to make this sound more exciting, but I can’t do it.

We’ve got a new extractor fan in the kitchen and noticed recently that in the cold weather the surface of the extractor in the cupboard is gathering a lot of water – opened the cupboard to get the vinegar out and water fell onto my plate of chips.

We’ve got it so it just vents straight out the wall behind it so the cold air is causing the warm dampness to condense on the extractor.

I’m sure other people have had or have this problem. I’ve never seen anything like it and would like to think we’ve either missed something when it was installed or there is something we can do to reduce the amount of water.

Any thoughts welcome.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why do you have an extractor venting your cupboard ?

globalti
    Free Member

Can’t you insulate it? Solar water and AC suppliers will sell you ultra-sticky neoprene insulation on a roll. It’s called Armaflex:

Or just wrap it in glass wool? A self-closing flap vent outside would help trap warm air inside when the fan isn’t running.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL! I should have been a little more clearer about what was going on.

I’ve got one of these over the hob which is venting straight out of the wall.
    Neff Cooker hood

Bushwacked
    Free Member

At the moment I’ve got something like one of these over the vent

We’ve got an odd size duct (200mm x 90mm) comming out of the wall – not quite sure what the fitter was doing – so been difficult to find something to fit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Do you put the extractor on when boiling something on the hob? The extractor should be getting rid of the damp air.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, we do most of the time. But I think it is combo of clothes drying / kettle boiling etc along with the fact the extractor is freezing to touch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok i get it.

The issue is the pipe in your cupboard is cold internally – outside temp

Yor cupboard is room temp with moist air

Your pipe outer surface is now where your condensation will form because the warm moist air is cooled fast and because its trapped in a cupboard the air ist flowing to get rid of the moisture

I suggest insulating the pipe and boxing it in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen extractor dampness’ is closed to new replies.