Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Kitchen cupboards in a bathroom, too steamy for them?
  • rockhopper70

As part of a bathroom refurbishment, I was toying with running a line of cupboards in the wall above the bath, as it’s dead space and the storage would be useful.
    Kitchen cupboards seem the perfect choice as there is a wide range of styles and sizes but I wondered if the steam might get to them, although it’s sometimes steamy in a kitchen right?

If not an off the shelf cupboard, what timber for making them from scratch.?

Cheers

spooky_b329

Reckon a bathroom would be a stretch too far for chipboard.

WBP hardwood (birch) plywood is probably best. (many would say marine ply but thats megabucks) You might be OK making the carcass from Ply and then getting some decent bridging unit doors. The doors will be covered all round and probably more resistant to moisture than the carcasses they go with.

daveh
    Free Member

I used IKEA kitchen wall cabinets as bathroom base cabinets with a sink on top. The panel next to the bath has started to blow a little on the edge strips where water has got to it directly (kids!), the rest of it is fine, no issues from steam. It was fitted 8 years ago. Way cheaper than bathroom specific furniture!

In fact, here’s a piccy:

[Img]http://mr2.homeflow.co.uk/files/photo/image/11446/8366/979x_/34969_100864005185_IMG_13.jpg[/IMG]

Stoner
    Free Member

I do same as daveh.
    5 yrs no issues

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen cupboards in a bathroom, too steamy for them?’ is closed to new replies.