Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Kitchen appliances, Neff etc.
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just purchased a house that needs a new kitchen, and the OH is determined that we fit it with Neff appliances, but the appliances she wants add an extra few k to the cost.

I have been looking at the samsung range, and they seem to be pretty good. Anyone else got the Neff stuff? is it worth the premium or are brands like samsung just as good?

We are looking at induction hob (no gas to the house) steam oven, warming draw (not my idea) separate grill. 70/30 fridge freezer and dishwasher.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have got an 8 year old neff oven.

Not gone wrong so far, warms up very quickly and cooks evenly

Yak

Also got a Neff oven. Very good. Best bit is the slide under door. No more shin bashing when grilling.

I suspect a lot of the £k is the fancy spec/features you are after. Eg a tray of water = same thing as steam injectors etc. You could always reduce the features and up the quality if you want Neff or similar.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

I’ll probably regret saying this, what with the law of sod and all, but we have Bosch everything except oven which is Ikea made by Whirpool and is a truly horrendous piece of kit. The Bosch stuff is ace though – the oven will be replaced with Bosch soon – I’ve used them before and they’re very good.

stevextc
    Free Member

and the OH is determined that we fit it with Neff appliances

Overall the price isn’t much as a one-off on the price of buying a house.
    The big question is if the OH is happy with a high quality set of appliances for years or will she be wanting the “new” in a few years?

I completely gutted our kitchen but bought interim used appliances until it was finished… (2-3 months as I was doing it alone [except for fitting gas] at night)

As it turned out we then got the right (Bosch wider than normal without being American) fridge on sale … except after I got it she decided she didn’t want it where we had agreed and she wanted to move it which meant changing the 130cm rangemaster I’d got used ….. this wasn’t an issue as I sold it for the same as I paid more or less and we then got a new replacement when it was heavily discounted…

Did the same with the dishwasher… temporarily had a used Neff (£25 on gumtree from a bloke who rips them out to fit new kitchens) and waited until there was a good offer on the current one.

So we ended up with good quality over a few months…

I’ve still got a portable induction hob I bought as well… sometimes used for BBQ’s

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I managed to duck having a stream oven but do have the warming draw … which is actually really useful we use it a lot.

The slide and hide doors are good…. but my shins arent bothered either way…. I’d not spec a new kitchen with a low oven. The Combi oven we use alot as an oven but means you have to press too many buttons for my liking when using as micro, which is most of the time right ?

Other than that … had it about a year and had the engineer out once… the touch screen menu on the combi was slow to react… they came within a week, when they said they would and fixed the problem by updating the software !! …. Remember kids, the oven is watching you 🙂

Good luck

newrobdob
    Free Member

When we bought our last oven I did a lot of research as we wanted to do a lot of baking. The Neff ovens are known to be very good at keeping an accurate and constant temperature which is essential for baking.
    Biggest issue is that you can pay £400 for a Neff oven but people get tempted into all the bells and whistles of £800-1000+ ovens. We looked into it and thought we would never use all the functions you get and the £400 one we got was amazing. It was better for cooking and baking than the £2500 Range master we used for a while at our friends house.

We just bought a £500 Neff oven for our new house, same as the last one but it has one of those slide and hide doors which is really cool!

Bought a £230 70cm Neff gas hob and £220 Neff extractor to match.

We think they are worth the money but they are only mega bucks if you want the mega fancy versions.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Neff is good stuff. We put Neff in our new kitchen recently. My philosophy on these things is to buy the bottom of the range of good brands like Neff, Bosch etc. I think this is the sweet spot of price and performance because you get all the top quality and high reliability internals, like motors and heating elements, but are not paying for all the silly bells and whistles that you pay a premium for with the models higher up in the range. Comparing my bottom of the range Neff oven with my dads top of the range Neff oven at over double the price I really struggle to see the benefits that justify the huge price hike. Sure visually it is a bit nicer and more aesthetically pleasing, and has a lot more buttons and knobs for features I just wouldn’t use or not even sure what to use them for, so I’m happy with my choice of purchase.

onandon
    Free Member

I purchased neff gear for my place. Good kit and works well. My new house has Siemens stuff which I’d say is as good, if not a touch better in its function.

cranberry
    Free Member

My parents bough Neff a handful of years ago – it has proved very poor – the oven temp is always off, we gave up on the microwave after the 2nd repair and have used, for longer, a supermarket special microwave that is more powerful and actually works.

I’d not touch it with a shitty stick, but that seems to be at odds with those people above that have had no problems/like it.

I bought Bosch oven/induction hob and they are spot on for temp ( and it is the first oven I’ve had where the instructions on food have been spot on for time and temp ). I’d recommend their stuff in a heartbeat.

Rio

steam oven, warming draw (not my idea) separate grill

We replaced our Bosch oven with a Neff one that can do all of these, but that had to fit into an existing double oven slot whereas the fashion these days is to have a bank of matching appliances, and I don’t think Samsung cuts it amongst those looking to be fashionable. The Neff is vastly better than the Bosch, but then it’s much newer.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Just bought a whole new kitchen. Neff are premium priced but seem to be well regarded by customers, particularly the slide and hide ovens, but the price does mount up when you start to add features, pyrolytic cleaning, loads of different modes, steam baking, meat thermometer, full TFT touch screen (!) etc. If you’re just going to be using the oven in the “stick it on 180c and it’ll be done in 20 minutes” then get something cheaper than a Neff. Cheap Neff ovens are fugly imo.

You’ve just missed a cash back promotion where all Neff stuff had a cash back on all products with a higher cash back for multiple products.

Wh1ch Be$t buy ovens in order are

John Lewis JLBIOS617 – good price at mo

Samsung NV70F7584DS

Samsung BQ1VD6T131

Samsung NV73J9770RS – over £1k

Zanussi ZOP38903XD

Zanussi ZOP37902XK

Bosch Serie 8 HBG6764B1B

AEG BP5014321M

Neff B14M42N3GB – £400 but basic

Bang for buck it’s hard to look beyond the Zanussi’s very well reviewed and chock full of features ovens.

It’s obviously worth shopping around (duh!) but some online Retailers will give you a better price if you buy all your appliances from them, could probably try that with JL too.

Separate grill? – Is there such a thing?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Some of them are slightly OTT with the big colour screens etc. I love baking, so having some of the steam functions for bread seems like a good idea.

How does the pyrolitic cleaning work?

Bimbler
    Free Member

How does the pyrolitic cleaning work?

What does pyrolitic mean and how does it work?

Pyrolytic cleaning uses high temperatures of 500 degrees centigrade or more combined with the absence of oxygen to burn off the accumulated grease and spills from baking and roasting food in your oven, reducing it to a pile of ash that can be wiped up with a moist cloth.
    How often should you clean your oven?

Wiping up spills after cooking each time will keep your deep cleaning to a minimum. To avoid greasy build up that takes longer to sort, put aside a couple of hours a month to turn your oven on the self clean setting and you will keep both yourself and your cooker happy!
    What’s the best way to use this feature?

Choose a day when you won’t need the oven for at least 3 hours start to finish. Make sure to take out any pans and the racks which can be soaked and hand cleaned. Generally, the racks should not be left in during this high heat clean.

Brush out any lingering loose crumbs before shutting and locking the oven door to avoid unnecessary smoke. For safety’s sake, once the heat cleaning process begins you won’t be able to open the oven door until it cools down to a reasonable temperature. When the oven is cool, you can wipe the ash inside out with a damp cloth and replace the racks.

Crack the kitchen window open if it’s a nice day outside or turn your extractor fan on to help clear smells, depending on how dirty your oven is inside.
    How safe is this type of self cleaning?

All pyrolitic self cleaning ovens are designed with a lock that prevents you from opening the door while it is in cleaning mode. For children’s safety and your own, the oven door will automatically lock at a certain temperature. Or, depending on the model, some may have a manual lock to stop it from being opened until the oven has cooled down.
    Doesn’t it cost more than conventional cleaning?

An added benefit of self-cleaning ovens is that the insulation required for the high temperature cleaning process also makes them more energy efficient for your daily baking. The energy cost for a couple of hours on high heat is still far less than a can of standard oven cleaner. To save extra energy, try cleaning your oven directly after you’ve finished cooking, while it is still hot.

Formerly a feature associated with high end ovens, many more economical models now also carry this timesaving technology, making the pyrolytic timesaving feature attractive over other self-cleaning catalytic or easy-clean enamel options. Make light work of your oven cleaning chores and put your elbow grease into doing the things you love to do instead!

Well worth having imo.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

When I did our kitchen up I got the appliances on eBay, searching under New (Other) – ex-display etc and still have warranty.

Got a £1400 AEG computer magic steam oven for £350 and a powerful Siemens induction hob for about £150. Oh yeah, with induction hobs look at the power ratings and what amperage supply they need. The ones that run off normal 13A electrics cycle between full power and low power for the hobs, especially if you are using more than one at once. Look for one that runs on a 30A supply. (also, make sure you have that! Though not too difficult to set up)

FuzzyWuzzy

According to wikipedia; Neff, Bosch and Siemens all have the same parent company – I would expect some joint design & manufacturing goes on?

gray

More than some, I think. When we were looking you could clearly figure out exactly which model Bosch matched which model Neff. We went with all Bosch stuff, not for any particular reason.

fanatic278
    Free Member

My house is all Neff/Bosch. All except dishwasher is 10 years old. The dishwasher broke down after 6 years (failed PCB) and was replaced with a bottom range Bosch which failed just after 2 years due to a leak between the plastic tub and steel carcass. Even though out of warranty Bosch kindly upgraded it with a full steel tub/carcass unit for minimal cost.

So I recommend Bosch/Neff, but be sure to get the full steel dishwasher.

Kryton57

Mrs K did loads of research on ours via reviews & feedback etc. We ended up in balance with Siemens appliances with the exception of the induction hob which is AEG as out particular model was rated way over the Siemens version.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, Neff Bosch and Siemens are essentially all the same company, I think they pitch at different pockets.

I’ve recently bought a Samsung Induction Hob which was pretty expensive. I was close to buying a Siemens Hob but got seduced by the flashing lights on the Samsung (virtual flame) which of course is a gimmick and completely pointless. Anyhow, it blew up in the first few uses and had to have all the internals replaced. The samsung repair man told me that Samsung’s mission /aim /whatever is to be considered in the same price, quality, service as Bosch.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Neff Bosch and Siemens are essentially all the same company,

All part of BSH Hausgerate

Think of it like VAG for your kitchen. Lot’s of different price points but a lot of shared components and engineering.

I have Siemens oven and fridge in my kitchen and both excellent.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Kryton I looked at AEG induction hobs (presumably because of the good write ups, Which mag?) but the ones I looked at all had silver edge trim, when one of my ‘must haves’ was edge to edge glass for cleaner lines and easy cleaning, so i dismissed them.

MrOvershoot

gobuchul – Member

Neff Bosch and Siemens are essentially all the same company,

All part of BSH Hausgerate

Think of it like VAG for your kitchen. Lot’s of different price points but a lot of shared components and engineering.

I have Siemens oven and fridge in my kitchen and both excellent.[/quote]

Best way of putting it I’ve seen.

13 years ago we did a quite expensive kitchen refit and as we had spent a lot on the units did the cost cutting bit of internet appliance shopping (only just had broadband that year so it made it a bit easier) ended up with a selection of AEG, Zanussi, Electrolux (all the same company I understand) & De Dietrich.
    And apart from a small soldering job I did on the AEG dishwasher 2 years ago they are all still working fine having never missed a beat despite having all had lots of use!

Mother in Law had mostly Neff & Miele 4 years ago and has had 2 items replaced under warranty?

Now I’ve typed this I will no doubt have multiple failures of appliances in the next few weeks 😮

Kryton57

Kryton I looked at AEG induction hobs (presumably because of the good write ups, Which mag?) but the ones I looked at all had silver edge trim, when one of my ‘must haves’ was edge to edge glass for cleaner lines and easy cleaning, so i dismissed them.

Mines edge to edge glass – give me 30 mins and ill post the model no up for you.

seduced by the flashing lights

It has virtual touch sliding led controls so you turn up the temp in a star trek fashion 🙂

gray

Even though out of warranty Bosch kindly upgraded it with a full steel tub/carcass unit for minimal cost.

Ours might be suffering the same fate – how did you go about the upgrade? Did you call Bosch out to fix it, or go via the retailer?

Thanks…

gray

It has virtual touch sliding led controls so you turn up the temp in a star trek fashion

That sounds cool – the one thing I don’t like about our induction hob is that it takes longer to turn it up or down a lot in one go than a simple knob would.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It has virtual touch sliding led controls so you turn up the temp in a star trek fashion
    That sounds cool – the one thing I don’t like about our induction hob is that it takes longer to turn it up or down a lot in one go than a simple knob would.

There were some that I looked at which had a knob, but it was just a piece of machined alu which was magnetic or something and wasn’t attached. So you could put it on one side to wipe down the hob, put it in a drawer if you wanted clean lines when the hob was unused. if you wanted to use it (you could alternatively just press +/- on the hob), you just put it on the hob and used it like a nob. I couldn’t decide if it was something I’d use or not.
    Mine’s got the star trek sliding panel as well, but the gimmicky flashing lights I referred to was Virtual flame Technology, which tbh is pointless.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is the one with the magnetic nob,
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7IDgbE2nmY[/video]

Kryton57

B A Nana: http://www.cameokitchens.co.uk/product.php/22687/aeg_hk6542h0fb

I’m pretty sure this is ours becuase I can’t see the model no. now its fitted.

Ours has a boost on the heating areas that basically doubles the power output for a period of time, but it looks exactly like that one. We didn’t buy it from there, I just found it on t’ ‘net.

cchris2lou

we have a Siemens induction hob and it is really good .

very quick and very sensitive to temperature changes .

I would not get a steam oven . I am a professional caterer and to get a good steam oven costs a lot of money . Google Rational for example .

domestics ones are slow and not very efficient .

nwill1
    Free Member

We had a new kitchen back in November. Was looking at Neff, Bosch, Siemens and Samsung.

Neff, Bosch and Siemens are all made by the same company and are pretty much of a muchness. All reviews are similar so we went for the ones with the functions required and liked the look of best.

Ended up with a mid range Neff (didn’t need/want the steaming function).

If you shop around you can get some great prices. Our oven with Slide & Hide was supposed to be close to £800 I got it from John Lewis for just under £600 with a cash back offer, the oven microwave was meant to be over £1000 we paid just under £700 again from John Lewis. The Hob is a 5 ring induction with the twist thing again in the UK was over £1000, brought it from ComWales for less than £600. I was really worried about the supplier as I’d never heard of them but the first one had some cosmetic defects but they exchanged it very quickly no questions asked.

So far so good, looks great and functionally great.

Miele are highly regarded to but a jump up in price!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen appliances, Neff etc.’ is closed to new replies.