Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Kit Bag / Duffle Bag
  • buenfoxa
    Free Member

Searched the forum but not found a recent thread.

I’ve used various bags in the past including a sports direct one and the standard ikea bag but one was too big and the other was to small. I then went for a plastic box with a lid but this didn’t last long as it was a crappy thin plastic which eventual gave way!

I’m after a box/bag which will fit, as a minimum, an osprey pack, shoes, helmet, bag of spares (hanger/cables), a bag of tools/lubes and a set of waterproofs.

The idealist in me just wants one bag/box which is transferred from the house to the car. Nearly had it with the box but it wasn’t up to the job.

What does everyone use?

shortcut

Northface Duffle bag. Available in a range of sizes suitable for days out or weekends/weeks away. You may choose to supplement with plastic bags and waterproof sacks to separate out the filth from the clean stuff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use two from Duffbags. The company gets very mixed reviews so probably not one to order from at the moment. I have had a very positive experience with 2 bike bags and 2 kit bags. Others have waited a very long time having paid and never received a product.

The other things I have seen used are those plastic gardening bags – garden centre and usually brightly coloured. Plastic thick enough to take some abuse and waterproof.

spot
    Free Member

just get a stronger box

warehouse type thingie, close to indestructable
    http://www.genteso.com/en/boxes/

also good to stand in while changing out of muddy clothes in the carpark.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I recently got one of these from Polaris.

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Aquanought-Wheelie-Bag-p/pol01-5224-p.htm

It’s basically a big, incredibly well built dry bag with a roller/handle. I bought it to use for holidays, but as it’s only a roll-top, I don’t want to stick it on a plane.

So – happy to sell it on to you. (I paid £35 in the sale for it) – opened it yesterday. Any good to you?

Rich

rtedgeAThotmail.com

Moses

Blacks / Millets currently has half-price Berghaus waterproof kitbags in a range of sizes.

Furious

I got me one of these when I bought a new changing towel

matt_outandabout

Ikea bag for most.
    Those garden trugs for wet stuff.

somouk
    Free Member

Either a heavy duty tool box style thing on wheels or a North Face large/xl duffle bag.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Crane 44l Drybags from Aldi.

Got them for £6 each and they hold loads and are bullet proof.

Handily they are exactly the right size that 4 of them will fill a Thule Ranger 90 soft roofbox perfectly.

Drac

Duffbag were a great product they seem to have new owners so hopefully that’s sorted the issues out.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Those garden trugs for wet stuff.

Easily the best solution for the back of the car. Use one all of the time for paddling. You can stand in the empty bucket and strip off!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The other things I have seen used are those plastic gardening bags – garden centre and usually brightly coloured. Plastic thick enough to take some abuse and waterproof.

Use one for surfing. I can towel off and strip out of a wettie, and drop it all straight into the bucket.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Something like this looks interesting as I tend to keep my kit in the bag all the time (apart from the shoes/pads which are normally drying at this time of year!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M19-Protec-Police-Security-Holdall-With-Shoulder-Straps-/350303805293?hash=item518fbbdf6d:m:mPlYidX_Snrg1LZPEQ2DzQg

Compartments for easily accessing tools/spares and a larger compartment for everything else.

core

I was also going to suggest the Aldi/Crane big dry bag, mine is just used for this purpose most of the time. At the moment it’s full of bikepacking bags and gear in the shed, they’re really tough.

iainc

I have a couple of Duffbags, the kids also have the smaller ones for footie kit etc. Great products and hope they get back as a supplier soon after their problems

benp1

I have 3 TNF base camp duffels, in various sizes, for that sort of thing. I rate them, also have TNF bag in a similar style as my gym bag

I have a thing for bags and have quite a few duffels, the TNF ones are still my favourite

But if the kit is wet, dirty or minging I use Ikea blue bags – I have loads and find them really useful. They’re particularly good for a bikepacking trip where you have kits and bags that are usually wet and muddy

EvilE
    Free Member

Try Montrose Rope and Sail, they do duffles for the offshore oil and gas sector

BoardinBob

Ridiculous amount of use out of this and it’s been bombproof

Watch the Tea & Biscuits Trailer Here.

josecamel
    Free Member

I got a dirtbag off booicore after seeing the ad in MBR.
    You can tell it’s been made/designed by someone that MTB’s. It’s just a massive duffel bag with lots of big pockets in it, perfect.
    https://www.thebooicorestore.com/collections/dirtbag

vdubber67
    Free Member

https://www.kitbrix.co.uk/ are worth a look too…you’d probably need two…

vondally
    Free Member
    mattsccm
    Free Member

TNF duffle I have is great but Mountain equipment ones get more use as they have inner pockets. Go Outdoors own brand are fine and much cheaper.

Drac

It’s just a massive duffel bag with lots of big pockets in it, perfect.

Looks like a duffbag

km79
    Free Member

What was wrong with the Ikea bag? Too small? You can get one of those skip bags of similar material and cut it down to size, hem any edges with gaffer tape.

burko73

I use a really useful box company plastic box with clip on lid. Good quality thick plastic and see through/ washable/ waterproof. If you’re anywhere Southampton try Solent plastics in romsey. They do trade plastic boxes of all shapes and sizes. All really tough supermarket depot quality, and even some second hand sell offs. You can’t fail to go into their showroom and come out with some handy solution to some problem you never thought you had.

wrecker
    Free Member
    backinireland
    Free Member

I use 2
    Garden trug for wet muddy stuff, gets lifted from car straight to washing machine
    Other stuff goes in this
    Handy side pockets and packs up small
    http://www.singersoutdoors.co.uk/imagepopup.asp?img=images%2Fholdalls_and_travel_bags%2Fcoleman%20storagebag%203.jpg&w=400&h=325&t=Coleman%20Collapsible%20Storage%20Organiser%20Bag&a=Coleman%20Collapsible%20Storage%20Organiser%20Bag

Cowman

I use a couple of these for lugging kit around. Brilliant, worth every penny.

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/e0412/

wombat

Bookmarked for later

petrieboy

I keep a garden trug in the car for “stuff” and for packing for going away, a pair of crewsaver expedition hold-alls. One 75l and one 110l. Really tough and durable and a fraction of the price of TNF

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2014-crewsaver-expedition-holdall-110l-6227-p-8767.html

nickc

I have a couple of the kitbrix.

great for dirty/clean side, I have a couple which either use singly or zip together. loads of zips, stash pockets, mesh bits for your easily lost small bits and bobs, big enough to swallow a FF helmet, or pack for a weekend away. Pricey, (£50 each) but bomb proof.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I like the idea of having separate pockets etc so the kitbrix looks like a possibly.

josecamel
    Free Member

The booicore bag…

It’s just a massive duffel bag with lots of big pockets in it, perfect.
    Looks like a duffbag

Yep, similar to a duffbag. Iused to have one of those. The booicore one feels more hard wearing and its got different sections inside it, better for MTB’ing kit.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

two sainsbury 50p bag for life thingys. one for clean clothes for post ride and any extra food spares etc; one for helemt, shoes, pads, jacket etc. all wet and muddy kit gets dumped into one post ride. bit of cut up carry mat to stand on when getting naked / changed in the car park. works a treat and costs bob all

alexxx
    Free Member

Does anyone actually like their duffbag? I find the top is too small so you normally get a shitty arm trying to put muddy clothing or shoes in it… Much more of a north face duffel bag personally but I think I’ll migrate over to the plastic bucket as stripping down into that sounds ideal

solidrooster
    Free Member

I use one off these they’re £17.00 at moment http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-lugga-cargo-65-holdall-p322281

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Kit Bag / Duffle Bag’ is closed to new replies.