Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Kirsty warks sexism documentary
  • olddog

Drac – yeah I know – the Sims it aint, but it did seem more unremittingly grim than the previous version and a real pity for me because the openworldness of it all is so brilliantly realised.

Drac

Drac – yeah I know – the Sims it aint, but it did seem more unremittingly grim than the previous version and a real pity for me because the openworldness of it all is so brilliantly realised.

Very violent yes especially the utterly brilliant game character and Psycho Trevor but I seen it for as a video game so had great fun doing silly things in it too. The story line I thought was brilliant the final mission story one the best I’ve played in any game. The biggest shame about GTA V is that I can’t play it on my PS4.

mrben100
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

And when should you stop giving her one?

Sexist…..I’ve found one do, I get my 5 pounds now 😆

mt
    Free Member

“Just to be clear – I’m trying to draw a distinction between using casually sexist words, and actually being sexist. Both are a problem, but not the same problem imo”

Are the Clarkson defense, it’s not what I say that counts.

Was not alluding to anyone in particular but just not impressed some comments.

mrben100
    Free Member

For anyone who has gamed a while, will remember one of Rockstars other titles – Manhunt, got banned I believe.

In GTA V it has a story that helps to deflect away from the core principle/facets of the game and perhaps slightly less obvious.

I think potentially the problem with gaming as opposed to violent films is you choose to carry out acts rather then have them shown to you.

Whether this helps to encourage an already sadistic/sexist etc. mind to carry them out in real life, who knows?

By the way I’m an avid gamer who plays everyday on varying games violent or otherwise, so not anti-gaming just trying to empathise. understand.

cheez0
    Free Member

Kirsty PHWWWWWar!k did you say?

😉

Nothing sensible to add on a Friday afternoon.
    IGMC

olddog

For the record – I don’t think video games make people violent (other than the eye-gouging frustration of your average 1980s platformer) and I really do not think they should be censored beyond that applied to other media.

So GTAV on sale as an 18 – fine by me. In fact I get annoyed by those that criticise game content without reflected on the adult certificate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

‘d love to see that thread you’re referring to where we’re all being ok about racism, I must’ve missed it

It was not racist as no one said anything racist enough times for it to count.

molgrips
    Free Member

On GTA V I think it is inability to play the game in any sort of positive moral way (even within the context of being a gangster!) that turned me off

There are positive bits in it, but there are certain things you have to do to proceed that are distasteful of course. But the authors were making a strong moral point with ‘that’ bit, ironically.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It was not racist as no one said anything racist enough times for it to count.

:mrgreen:

Northwind

Struggling with the reasoning for GTA being sexist. Yes it has the opportunity for violence against women. But also men. And frankly there is never any doubt in a GTA game as to whether or not your character is a total shitehawk, the closest it gets to ambiguity is pitching you against worse people, or in the case of Nico letting you know why he’s so broken and letting you see his tragedy… But you can never think for a second it’s acceptable, unless you’re already wrong in the head.

olddog

Northwind – I think it is the combination of sex and murder and that it is exclusively male on female violence in the game that causes the offence and raises questions about sexism – as you say pretty much everything else is equal opportunities mayhem.

Rockplough
    Free Member

If we can get off the obvious red herring that is GTA, this video sums up quite nicely the words vs person situation. You don’t get a free pass to use ‘casual’ sexist language or behave in a sexist way because you’re ‘not a sexist person’. I would say in current society, if it doesn’t strike you pretty much *every day* then you need to look again. Sexism is endemic.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Agreed. Both are damaging. But as I said, not quite the same issue.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Well I think the primary issue is how sexism manifests itself in society. How does it damage men and women? People aren’t damaged by thoughts. People are damaged by words and actions. To that extent, it doesn’t matter what the motivation behind them is. In my experience the problem is:

-People don’t recognise sexism when they see it, or regurgitate it. It’s seen as normal.
    -People who do recognise it let it slide.

molgrips
    Free Member

To that extent, it doesn’t matter what the motivation behind them is.

Well it does, because it affects how to stop people doing it.

If someone really doesn’t mean to be sexist but they just don’t understand what they are saying, then you just need to point it out and things can be resolved.

If someone genuinely is misogynistic then they need therapy of some kind.

olddog

… and casual use of sexist language normalises sexist stereotypes and reinforces and emboldens sexist views in those that have them.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Well it does, because it affects how to stop people doing it.

If someone really doesn’t mean to be sexist but they just don’t understand what they are saying, then you just need to point it out and things can be resolved.

If someone genuinely is misogynistic then they need therapy of some kind.

You’re right, hence my saying ‘to that extent’ with regard to effect on society. I sincerely hope most sexism in society is borne of ignorance. If on the other hand a large proportion of men are misogynists then I despair.

I also think girls and young women need to be brought up to recognise it too and to have self-esteem, to reject unrealistic images, to know they can have lego instead of barbie dolls, and whatever colour they want and not just pink.

edit: Sorry a bit soapboxy there but this being an MTB forum you know what I mean hopefully.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Sorry! LOL still trying to get my head around the fact that Molgrips clearly hasn’t seen the program!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Kirsty warks sexism documentary’ is closed to new replies.