Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kirroughtree/Dalbeattie Accommodation Advice
  • johnski15
    Free Member

Hi,

Planning a trip up to Glentress in February and will stay in our old haunt of Peebles Hydro.

In addition, we’ve decided to Ride Kirroughtree the following day and need somewhere to stay, do you have any recommendations?

Am looking at the Kirroughtree House Hotel, but are there any alternatives?

Incidentally we’ll be riding Dalbeattie the following day so the Hotel could be that way.

Thanks,

John

hodgynd
    Free Member

As a location I really like Kippford ..just down the road from Dalbeattie..
    This place looks really nice as a B&B..
    https://www.kippford.co.uk/

crapjumper
    Free Member

Try one of the bothies at Gorsebank. It’s a cracking place and we’ve stayed there a couple of times now to ride the stanes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Kippford or Gorsebank.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above Kippford or Gorsebank are both great. You can ride straight onto the Dalbeattie trails from Gorsebank and the ‘wigwams’ are great.

Also have a look at Coastal Kippford Holiday park, very nice lodges for hire, 30 seconds ride to the trails and a nice walk or ride through the woods down to the Anchor in Kippford.

Don’t know what Roughfirth House is like as a B&B but it does look a bit tired and I’ve not seen many cars parked outside and I’m down there a lot.

Rosemount Guesthouse in Kippford is also really nice. The anchor hotel has rooms but they’re also bit tired, clean enough but in need of some TLC.

prawny

Mabie hotel isn’t far from Dalbeattie, also means you to do an early/late Mabie too. I’m a bit fan of Mabie as it goes.

hodgynd
    Free Member

If that Rosemount guest house is next door to the Anchor ..myself and the missus stayed there 18 years ago ( how time flies!) ..it was good then 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes it is, always looks busy so must be good.

dmorts

Barend Holiday Village. Some of the lodges can be booked through that main site.
    Others are privately owned and rented out, like this one.

You can ride onto the red route from the holiday village. You ride down the road first, then onto a fire road, then join the red trail halfway along its route. TrailForks is your best bet for working this out. Looks like there are two options. A quieter but longer route going north (not done it though) or shorter but along a busier road. Have done that one and it’s fine, but might go the quieter route if I did it again

Gary_M
    Free Member

You ride down the road first, then onto a fire road, then join the red trail halfway along its route

I never had any success in finding this route in so usually rode in from Colvend whenever I stayed at Sandyhills. I’ll have a look at that option next time I do a big loop round the forest.

johnski15
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. I’ll have a look at them all!

John

dmorts

I never had any success in finding this route in so usually rode in from Colvend whenever I stayed at Sandyhills. I’ll have a look at that option next time I do a big loop round the forest.

One way in here and looks to be another here: https://maps.google.com/?q=54.900361,-3.756482&hl=en&gl=gb

johnski15
    Free Member

Has anyone stayed in the Birchtree Hotel?

http://www.birchtreehotel.co.uk/index

That’s dead centre Dalbeattie.

Cheers,

John

hodgynd
    Free Member

No ..seriously though the advice you have been given so far puts you into a more scenic location than Dalbeattie town centre ..your choice though 😉

johnski15
    Free Member

I know, but the date we want is either booked or for a 2 day stay – so no go on those – they do look great though – May be next year!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Aye, Dalbeattie town centre’s alright, but it’s not particularly bonny.

From what I gather the Birchtree’s undergone some pretty hefty renovation work, so it may well be pretty nice. Problem with living somewhere is it makes you a pretty useless resource on places to stay I’m afraid, sorry!

Kippford or Barnbarroch are both right on the Solway Coast (arguably the prettiest chunk of D&G) and are where I’d be booking as a first choice. Walking distance to a couple of pubs on the water-front and 2 mins drive up to Dalbeattie if you need supplies of anything.

https://www.solwaycottages.co.uk/

Mabie House is a good shout if you’re happy being further along the coast and nearer Dumfries but that puts you more like an hour away from Kirroughtree (*disclaimer, they’re a client but I’d recommend them regardless).

Actually… There’s a thought.

The brand spanking new cabins at Laggan will be ready by then (I hope so anyway cos I’m booked into one for a wedding mid-February!).

Haven’t been nor seen them myself yet, but all feedback and reports of what they’ve done with the place have been little short of outstanding.

Cabins at GG’s Yard, Laggan

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Birchtree for lunch and it’s nice, food was good. It was refurbished a couple of years ago so rooms should be fine. I used to think Dalbeattie town was a bit of a hole but t’s not, spending time there gives a different impression to just driving through. There’s a nice community feel to it.

I wouldn’t have any issues staying at the birchtree

johnski15
    Free Member

Superb feedback…. thanks

B&B at Birchtrees is super value, so looking likely

Cheers

John

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kirroughtree/Dalbeattie Accommodation Advice’ is closed to new replies.