Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kinver Scout Run Sabotage
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I have been cycling over Kinver edge the last few Saturday / Sunday mornings and found someone has purposefully placed logs across one of the trails through Gorse Covet which is over the road from the main edge near the scout hut. The first couple of times I just avoided / jumped or moved the few logs put down but yesterday a lot of the trail was covered every 3-4 meters with thick logs and some logs placed diagonally up against trees across the path. I cleared it of the logs all the time thinking it must of taken someone ages to put all these down. Not sure if its known locally as something different but it’s called the scout run on Strava.

Andy

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I know what you mean. I rode it on saturday and there were sticks everywhere. I moved a good few of them. Who ever is doing it really must have no life because the sheer number of sticks that get moved and how often they re-appear is quite impressive.

Houns

Don’t know that route, shall go check it out

BigJohn

Some wicked people try to get their own back on Stickman by smearing dog poo on sticks after they have moved them back off the trail again.

This is wrong.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Anyone fancy an early morning stakeout?

z1ppy

There was quite few last wednesday night (easy to avoid/ride over), but not to the extend your saying.. there been a ‘stick prick’ doing the rounds for quite a while. Houns I believe he’s talking about the small wood at the top of kingsford lane, with the ‘small scout hut’, that backs onto the Vale Head farm

I think BigJohn’s suggestion is deplorable 😈

I ‘think’ the same prick regularly tries to stir up trouble against MTB-ers on the kinver village forum

camerone
    Free Member

He has been doing it for a couple of years now…
    I ride regularly and its a constant issue. the same guy does stir up on Kinver forum indeed. I *think* please do not take this as definitely correct the culprit has a 54 plate silver toyota Yaris and two dogs, carries a metal walking stick / log shifter, early forties grey/balding…

His handiwork tends to be limited to the Scout Run and tracks just immediately adjoining Kingsford Lane…

eugeo81
    Free Member

I’ve not been over Kinver for a few months, but may pop over tomorrow and check this out now the sun is out.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Silly question as I have been riding over there for about 25 years but are you allowed to cycle over Kinver?

D0NK

This sort of stuff is depressing and scares me, my commute goes thru HTN territory there’s a blind fade/jump bit that I can ride if I want but every morning I’m wondering if some dick has put a log across the landing so often don’t bother. There’s not enough expletives in the profanisaurus for these idiots.

johnellison
    Free Member

Silly question as I have been riding over there for about 25 years but are you allowed to cycle over Kinver?

Funny you should mention that…

The Edge itself is National Trust land; a quick scan of the OS maps for the area only show one legit public right of way for bikes (a bridleway which runs East-West from Lodge Farm on Sandy Lane to the picnic site on Kingsford Lane); so unless there are designated cycleways/shared use paths in and around, then it would appear not…

bentudder

One tactic that works well down here: talk to the landowner about this. They’ve put word out that they’re talking to the local rural PC about someone trying to injure cyclists on their land. The stickman has gone all quiet as a result.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Does that apply for horses too? They have trashed so many of the paths. Churned up mud that at points has been un-ridable. How anyone can say cyclist do more damage is beyond me.

z1ppy

Again B_U, the stick prick is trying to stir up the Nation Trust (area managers) into doing something to stop the MTB-ing on the Edge.
    Having ridden there for the last 10 odd years, I’ve found the NT are just happy to put up signs and ignore us (even their ‘working’ parties).
    I mean, what are they going to do to stop cycling? Put up 6ft fences all the way round? They did this in another wood I use, I can lift my bike over a 6ft fence with ease.. it’s only the parents with push chairs they stopped using the wood.

No Cycling! by z1ppy2, on Flickr

EDIT:

Does that apply for horses too?

There’s actually a couple of bridal paths & a link between them, the connecting paths have been blocked to stop horse riders from straying down them. It’s hardly surprising that when ‘limited’ to a couple of paths, that those paths become damaged…

andysredmini
    Free Member

The other thing I noticed is that the horses seem to churn up the whole width of the path. But they have as much right to be there as cyclists so I cant really complain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kinver Scout Run Sabotage’ is closed to new replies.