Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kinloch Rannoch – routes please?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Got a long weekend coming up, staying in Kinloch Rannoch village. Been there before a few times, but sans bike.

Just been having a look at the OS maps and didn’t want to end up in the, It looked Rideable on the OS Map thread. Can anyone recommend any routes? Been looking at the Tay Forest Park, North of Loch Rannoch, and also wondering if the track up Scheihallion is rideable (ethically and physically 😀 ).

Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

We had a cracking day out from loch tummel over to old struan>house of bruar>loch tummel – I’ll dig out the route 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

That would be grand, cheers. Any other suggestions gratefully and graciously considered…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thought about the Schehallion path myself as it is only about 5 miles from me. From what I remember last walking it over a year ago it has a lot of big water bars, and is one of the most popular walks in the country so you will encounter an irate walker every 10 metres at the weekend.

Not sure about the path condition these days, but to truly appreciate the awsome desolation of Rannoch Moor, train from Rannoch Station to Courrour and cycle back. Not technical but stunning scenery.

Also, there is a path from Rannoch Station to the Blackwater dam, and you could then do the Ciaran path down into Kinlochleven. No idea if its ridable though.

For a really stupid day out, how about train (or cycle) to Corrour, down Loch Ossian, take the glen (don’t have any maps with me) towards Ben Alder, do the Bealach Dubh circuit from half way round, and then back. About 45 mins pushing up the glen and back.

Sorry, not much help but may give you some ideas

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Round Ben Alder is a goer (if you don’t mind carrying on some sections), though I can’t vouch for the route in to Ben Alder Lodge from the south (on the map I’d say it’s 80% or more chance of being all good). There are some straightforward Landrover Tracks that get you into Glen Lyon (or back) if you fancy a trip there. I wouldn’t bother with Schiehallion though haven’t been up in the last 12ish years. Somebody with a better memory might help more.

druidh
    Free Member

Forget Schiehallion. The terrain is mostly too soft – until the summit ridge which is a boulder field. Also – you’d be stopping every few seconds for walkers.

I’d go for the Corrour Station option for a short day.

Or head north along Loch Garry to the A9, down to the Trinafour turnoff and then a mixture of on/off road to Trinafour and again down to Dunalastair. I’m pretty sure TandemJeremy did this last bit on his tour last year.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The path from Corrour Lodge to where it meets the track down from the Bealach Dubh is from memory about 40% ridable. Would be a massive day though.

druidh, the new Schehallion path is all solid hardcore and rock right up to the boulder field so in theory would make a great track. It’s 100-200 metres south of the old one. Still the issue with the walkers though, and it would be a push most of the way up

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers for all the useful info. Thinking about a cycle back from Rannoch Station to Kinloch Rannoch – might be able to fit in a buzz about in Tay Forest on the way back too……. Should be able to get a lift across no bother – I’ll be staying with another dozen photographers – one or two will want to see the station no doubt.

Scheihallion sounds like a lot of pain for perhaps not great rewards, and even on a Monday, I’m not too keen on having to dodge ramblers every ten feet – might save it for walking.

Not sure about the path condition these days, but to truly appreciate the awsome desolation of Rannoch Moor, train from Rannoch Station to Courrour and cycle back. Not technical but stunning scenery.

That sounds very good but the path looks a bit sketchy on the map. I’ll give it a shot and report back (if I haven’t done so by next Tuesday, send out the search party).

🙂

druidh
    Free Member

The Corrour – Rannoch Station path should be almost all bikeable.

user-removed
    Free Member

Excellent – cheers druidh.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Or head north along Loch Garry to the A9, down to the Trinafour turnoff and then a mixture of on/off road to Trinafour and again down to Dunalastair. I’m pretty sure TandemJeremy did this last bit on his tour last year.

We went from the A9 down loch garry to Kinlochrannoch

It was good done that way apart from a bit of hike a bike at the top- would be a waste of time the other

I have also cycled to corrour from kinloch rannach – nice trail mostly ridable

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers TJ. Reckon I’ll stick with the latter option. The Ben Alder / Glen Lyon route looks amazing but would require a long drive followed by a long walk in / push. Ten years back, I’d have relished the challenge. Now, the thought just scares me! Especially as I’ll probably be going solo…

user-removed
    Free Member

Just to update – back tonight after a cracking ride. The weather was perfect – blue skies and a light breeze, T-shirt warm. The long weekend turned out to be a bit booze fuelled so had to wait until today to get into the hills….

Took the track out of Rannoch Village which goes to Dalnaspidal, via Loch Garry. Total chance, on a whim (often the best way). A soggy, boggy, rocky path turned into a sheep track and I was on the very verge of turning back when a herd of deer shot out from under a tree and hightailed it up the mountainside.

Then I remembered what it’s all about, carried on and hit the landrover track which took me all the way out to the loch. The loop was also a revelation – I realise now that trail centres are there as practice for the real thing – North Shore is prep for the planks laid over burns, groomed tabletops for diagonal culverts with hoppable lips, trail maps for compass, OS maps and GPS.

One of the best rides in recent years (albeit, sadly alone) and saved the car/railway/bike for next time 😀

Happy man, off to bed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

User removed – glad you enjoyed it. I particularly like this quote from you

I realise now that trail centres are there as practice for the real thing – North Shore is prep for the planks laid over burns, groomed tabletops for diagonal culverts with hoppable lips, trail maps for compass, OS maps and GPS.

How true is that.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

user-removed, third the comment about trail centres. They are great but the big outdoors is the real deal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kinloch Rannoch – routes please?’ is closed to new replies.