Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Kinesis Tripster ATR ti – thoughts
  • Aus
    Free Member

Have reviewed the long thread on this bike after being recommended it! I’m after a ti/steel framed bike for bumpy Kent/North Downs lanes, something relaxed and v comfortable, but fun and sprightly. Def not needing a full-on race bike. Would like option of 28/30c tyres and lowish gearing, plus disc brakes. I won’t be doing off-road/CX but could see myself possibly using the odd bridleway occasionally.

This bike seems like a good option and has some good reviews. If 99% of the riding will be road, is it still a good option bearing in mind the above? And size wise, I’m 5’11” and standard arms/legs … what sizing to go for?

And any other thoughts on the bike or other options would be welcome.

Ta

Bregante

I’m fairly sure nobody on here has one…..

Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

Aus
    Free Member

Yep, it’s a fairly persuasive thread as to the likeability of it!

dc2.0

That’s what I use mine for; only ever really ridden it off road for short stretches of gravelled byway. I’m a similar height to you but quite long in the leg/short in the body. I ride a 57 with a 90cm stem. TBH it’s a bit short and high compared to a “real” road bike but I did a 50mile (ahem) sportive on mine on Sunday in a fairly respectable (for a middle aged biffer) time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t bother. Seriously. 99% of your riding is on the road then why get one of those god awful monstrosities that is the Kinesis Tripster.

I’m sure they’re fine for plodding along a bridleway. But why would you want all the compromises if you’re mainly road riding?

You may aswell just use your MTB

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Jesus Christ. How did this get a five star review? It needs putting in a skip FFS.

“Overall: a great bike to have in the shed”

Pretty much sums it up

onandon
    Free Member

I’m not sure it would fit 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Taylorforth is right! Dunno what he’s on about, but he’s right. Tripster is rubbish. Was just looking admiringly at mine after getting it ready for a road ride tomorrow, thinking what a heap-o-junk.

jimmy

Mine’s still letting of steam after a tour of the Hebrides. Terrible. Rubbish.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ignore dtf.. Have you seen the giraffes gate of a bike he rides…

birdage

Yeah that’s what I think when I pass replica kits on Giant, Specialized, Canyon race machines. I’m riding a monstrosity. Almost feel like apologising.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you own a Tripster you obviously havea GSOH and don’t take yourself too seriously. Thanks the gods!

cloudnine
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

If you own a Tripster you obviously havea GSOH and don’t take yourself too seriously

This place definitely needs more Tripster owners.

(Preferably without Tripsters.)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Triple chainset, disc brakes, only one bottle cage, saddle bag, upright stem, inline post, odd cable routing etc. etc. One of the worst looking bikes I’ve seen. Plus it’s not even clean.

Mine’s a well balanced Strava weapon

slackboy

If you have the budget for a Tripster but don’t need/want the “adventure” side of things then how about a Mason Resolution instead. Has discs, clearance for 30mm tyres but is more road orientated. Looks bloomin’ lovely too

PS, I own a Tripster.

scotroutes

It’s only a copy of a Van Nicholas Amazon anyway..

Bloody johnny-come-latelies!

curto80
    Free Member

Would you like my tripster? Mine’s a load of crap, hate it. If I give you £50 will you collect?

I’d like to keep the pedals though. Oh and the frame.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

some good prices on on-one pickenflicks and framesets atm, mentioned as some poeple on here have said that they prefer them, and they are less slack so might be more sprightly.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOTIPFCC/on-one-pickenflick-titanium-cyclocross-frameset

£699 for the frameset is a lot less than the Tripster.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Maybe a Gran Fondo disc mite be a better option?
    More road orientated but with clearance for up to 32mm tyres.
    Would cope with what you have in mind.
    Max

Pz_Steve

My Sabbath September Disc is lovely (but then I would say that). Ideal for rough / bumpy Cornish lanes, but still engaging enough to be fun on the (very) occasional smooth, fast stretch.

Might be worth a look?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis Tripster ATR ti – thoughts’ is closed to new replies.