Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)
  • Kinesis Sync has landed!
  • gee
    Free Member

Pete – how much and which colour/axles are they?

GB

gee
    Free Member

Pete – how much and which colour/axles are they?

GB

jonnyrockymountain

I just wish they did a medium in 650b rather than just the small?

pete68
    Free Member

Gee, they’re red hubs,15mm front ,135 qr rear. Still waiting to hear back from you regarding use post. Emailed you on Friday evening.

myti
    Free Member

I believe they are going to do this….

mboy
    Free Member

Was chatting with Rory Hitchens at the bike show, he said as much that Kinesis are considering one as there has been plenty of interest in the wheel size.

Wheel wise, if you’re going 1×11, then you’ll be limited to SRAM, DT Swiss or Hope hubs right now. Hopes on 650b crests would be the obvious answer, though a few places were selling the SRAM carbon rimmed wheelsets for about half price (still expensive mind). Could get some nice DT 240s on some of those light bikes carbon rims perhaps!

DezB
    Free Member

Why?

rewski
    Free Member

650 version features in this nice new video from morvelo and kinesis http://vimeo.com/78032046

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No Clink, no!

myti
    Free Member

It was the Sram roam alloy ones i was hoping for but long wait for them and budget does not stretch to carbon. Considering the Mavic Crossroc now…

Clink

No Clink, no!

😆

Nothing to worry about!

mboy
    Free Member

What forks are you going for?

Any closer to getting it built yet?

myti
    Free Member

New Sids which i just got back from being put up to 120. Still waiting on cranks, shifter and wheels to arrive…annoying but it will be a very, very long time before i ever splash out on a build like this again so will be worth the wait i hope!

mboy
    Free Member

So, erm yeah, guess what I ordered today! 😳

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Good choice, just been out on mine….

night ride by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

myti
    Free Member

Jealous! mboy you better not get yours before mine is done! Everything here but wheels and they are arriving next week all being well. So should be riding it by next weekend. Can’t bloody wait!

mboy
    Free Member

VERY doubtful mine will be ready before yours myti, don’t worry. I’ve already got forks, brakes, and a few drivetrain bits and pieces for it, but a few other parts won’t be in for another couple of weeks at least, and I’ve not yet decided what I’m doing about the wheels either.

Don’t forget to post pics when yours is finished and I will do likewise.

JCL
    Free Member

Quite pretty I think but the geometry looks random. That isn’t a short travel fork for a 29″ fun hater but the head angle still looks steeper than th Eiger.

JoeG
    Free Member

I really like the look of that frame! The curved top and down tubes look really good IMO. Rear thru axle, post mount, dropper guides, fat headtube; the only thing I don’t like is the PF30 BB!

In some ways, I’m glad that I don’t have the money to buy one! 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Quite pretty I think but the geometry looks random

Nowt random about the Sync geo, why do you think it’s called the Sync. What you can’t appreciate from photos is the detail on the Ti frame, from the cloverleaf top tube, chunky rear end and brake mounts. A lot is personal taste, I find the Titus Fireline Ti not to my liking, relatively similar bikes..

the only thing I don’t like is the PF30 BB!

A lot of haters of press fit, I’ve had no issues, I’ve also got a Praxix Works convertor fitted with XT cranks, again no issues.

I do recommend going with direct-mount rear mech, makes gear change super responsive. Shimano only though I think.

mboy/myti – I look forward to seeing your pics 🙂

rexated
    Free Member

Can’t bloody wait!

OP, I think you’ve proven yourself eminently capable of waiting, as have the rest of us viewing this thread re build pics of your bike 😈

Looking forward to the final photo’s! and your’s mboy!

mboy
    Free Member

Quite pretty I think but the geometry looks random. That isn’t a short travel fork for a 29″ fun hater but the head angle still looks steeper than th Eiger.

Couldn’t disagree more to be fair. Been waiting a loooong time for somebody to make something that’s neither XC race steep or stupidly slack, with 440mm or shorter back end, and all modern refinements. The fact that Kinesis happened to do so out of Ti is neither here nor there to me (I’d be happy if it was steel as long as it was 5lb or under, or Ally), but it is a nice bonus I guess.

Geometry is a degree and a half slacker up front than an On One Inbred/Scandal, and people seem to love those! Yes, it’s steeper than a Niner ROS or a Canfield Yelli Screamy, but i’d argue it’ll be a better trail bike as a result. I’ve tried the current trend for uber slack head angles and really short stems, and it’s not my cup of tea to be honest. I want a bike that’s somewhere between XC race and full on hooligan geometry, but is light/strong enough to do either quite happily if required, and be capable of bashing out mile after mile putting a smile on my face!

BTW, think the “steep head angle” is a bit of an illusion caused by the bent top and down tube. I will agree that purely on looks alone, it does look steeper than the geometry suggests, but a 70.5 HA with a 100mm fork is slacker than many (still thoroughly enjoyable) 29ers I’ve ridden. Mine will have a 120mm fork though to be fair, which should take that down to about 69.5 degrees.

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and I was also highly dubious of the PF30 BB route before too. Done my research now, and there’s plenty of worthwhile options (Praxis convertor BB is supposed to be excellent if you want to run 24mm axle cranks). And if you buy the tools (or work in a shop with them), new 6806 bearings for a SRAM PF30 BB are only a few quid each each time and can be relatively easily replaced.

mboy
    Free Member

Look what arrived this morning…

😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Very, very nice.

I’m currently smitten with their FF29er and thinking about building my race bike around one.

Seems like a good company with a nice partnership with Morvelo, both Brighton based, as was I when I lived in the UK.

mattjg
    Free Member

A friend has one, and an FF29, it’s very pretty, as any ti frame should be, and beautifully finished. He found the Sync quite flighty ironically, more than the FF29, a larger tyre on the front made a big difference.

I’ve had a couple of short rides (admittedly on his set up), it felt skittish to me, more than I expected, but I do usually ride a Yelli Screamy so think I prefer the slack-short-wide-planted style of set up. Nimble I’m not.

NormalMan

Congrat’s Mboy! Can’t wait to see the build.

mboy
    Free Member

Just so you all know, a Hans Dampf fits ok in the frame… Not masses of clearance, but fine for all but the muddiest of conditions.

😀

Oh, and build wise, it’s progressing slightly… Have acquired a bargain pair of DT Swiss X1900 wheels, albeit the front hub will need swapping out for a 20mm affair to use on my 2012 Revelations. Got some Formula T1 brakes for it, full XT drivetrain (barring cranks), and thinking possibly X9 30mm spindle cranks with 26/39 rings. Oh, and got the 750mm wide Kinesis Flat Carbon bars on their way, have got both a Reverb and an FSA rigid post for it. Just need a 75-80mm stem, and a couple of finishing touches, and to get it built!

myti
    Free Member

What width is the tyre? I went for 2.25 NN so loads of room…in fact literally just finished building it tonight so pics soon! Test ride tomorrow…I’m too excited to sleep!

mboy
    Free Member

That’s a 2.35″ 29er Hans Dampf. I just wanted to check it will fit. Expect most of the time I’ll run something more like a 2.2″ on the back, but at least I know I can go wider if I want to.

Hurry up and get your finished build pics up ASAP!

myti
    Free Member

So here she is a last! First proper ride will be singletrack night ride tonight.

z1ppy

Saw Mboy’s frame today in the flesh, that’s a lovely bit of kit, the whole thing reeks of quality. 😀 (photo does really show how much room there is around the tyre.. loads)
    Luckily his is too damned small for me to try :mrgreen:

rewski
    Free Member

That’s a keeper, all you need now is a King Ti bottle cage 😉 I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the Maxlight wheels.

myti
    Free Member

First night ride and i’m beaming! That bike goes up hill so well!

rexated
    Free Member

myti, that looks ace. worth the wait 😉

JoeG
    Free Member

myti – The grass is a real mess; rake up those leaves! 😡

Needs a dropper seatpost! 😉

Otherwise, I can’t find a fault! 😛

Edit:

That bike goes up hill so well!

It should with that teenie chainring and enormous cassette cog! 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Awesome stuff myti, that looks ace! Seeing your 11spd is making me slightly envious, I decided to stick with a 2×10 setup to save money in the end, but beginning to wish I hadn’t now! Loving your Thomson bars too.

Ah well…

Anyway, wondering if you can help me out a bit… What Headset did you use? Currently trying to find a Hope (or other) equivalent as the FSA ones seem rather expensive for what they are.

myti
    Free Member

Mboy it’s a cane creek forty zero stack zs44 short top. Must say I’m loving the 11 speed only one ride in but I didn’t miss any gears yesterday and was loving having a granny again it just works for me. You can always upgrade hey as this should be a long term bike!

chiefgrooveguru

Two of those out on their first night ride last night!? Oh, it’s you, hello! I can confirm that Myti was looking much happier than usual at the top of the hills and seemed to be just as quick back down them as on the old full-sus.

Needs a dropper seatpost!

I said that too! 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Is that a small sized frame?

Glad its bringing a smile to your face.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis Sync has landed!’ is closed to new replies.