• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kinesis FF29 headset options?
  • nickdavies

Looking at one of these frames, is anyone running one with a headset that’s not the FSA one kinesis recommend? Not had great results with them before so don’t fancy one of those for £50, and no one stocks them.

Seems an odd standard, I’d like to use cane creek 40 IS42/52 which should be right, or superstar T5 internal. These both look right but have no mention of bearing angle. Assuming there’s a few on here what are others using?

mboy
    Free Member

Short answer: Use the one Kinesis say to, and when the bearings wear out (use lots of grease when you assemble everything and they will last longer) replace bearings from a decent local bearing supplier.

Long answer: Despite this being quite a normal headset standard in road bike circles, basically there’s way too many options out there, and the risk of buying the wrong thing (bearings may only be 0.2 or even just 0.1mm too big but won’t work!) is too great to bother IMO. You’re not really buying a “headset” as we traditionally know them anyway, merely 2 AC Bearing, a crown race and a top race. Any decent bearing supplier or bike shop should be able to furnish you with half decent quality replacement bearings as they wear out.

FWIW, I’m running a Sync, the GF has an FF29, and my Dad has a GF Ti all with the same headset in, and no issues to report as yet.

nickdavies

Ok, advice taken. Your thread on the sync sparked the ff29 idea anyway! Would much prefer the sync though, if only funds allowed. 🙁

I’ve managed to find a couple but they are all labelled as c-40, fsa and crc sites show no.42 in brackets next to the c-40 model name, this is still the right one? I can’t find anywhere with the 42 in stock so I’m assuming it’s been replaced.

nickdavies

Thanks, found the no.42 at fatbirds, and the frame a bit cheaper. Job done, until I saw the they have the sync frame at 15% off…. 😐

swanny853

I use the superstar one (not sure if it’s precisely the one you linked to) in my dirty harry, which is the same fit as the ff29. No problems since last summer. FSA on my pro 6 has been fine too though.

mboy
    Free Member

Thanks, found the no.42 at fatbirds, and the frame a bit cheaper. Job done, until I saw the they have the sync frame at 15% off….

How tall are you?

I may be tempted to move my medium Sync frame on soon to fund a new full sus bike, my Sync is a Medium and would be available from frame only right up to a full build if you were interested…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis FF29 headset options?’ is closed to new replies.