Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kinesis Crosslight CXDisc wheels or superstar hubs on crest 29er rims
  • karnali
    Free Member

for the disc crosser, kinesis are about 50 quid more and weigh slighly more, less than 100g. just wondering how people find either wheelset, will be used for commuting and cx riding. Or have people managed to build anything else in or below 1800g for 250 or less

cheers

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Crests might be a touch wide. I’d be looking at Iron Cross wheels, which are pretty much a 29er No Tubes Alpine rim.

antigee

was looking at this – have a kinesis pro6 and am running some cotic x wheels got off here on gravel tracks / dirt trails with 28mm tyre (32mm until recently) but would like a lighter wheel/tyre combi for some pure road riding – crest look good but would be very concerned on tyre width – not really suitable below about 32mm – from memory – feel free to correct – i’ve ended up concluding that getting hope hubs built up with mavic open pros is best option – i just don’t want to lose a tyre off a rim

edit prisce point wise – i ignored shimano hubs as last couple had to adjust and repack to stop loosening off – looked at some taiwan stuff and probably ok to get to price – biggest problem is what tyres will actually fit rims

karnali
    Free Member

looked a little into crest rims and reports on interent of people riding them with 25 on the road, i think i would go 28 on commuting tyres. iron cross look nice but not avail for 200 built up as wheels as the crests are

karnali
    Free Member

bumpety bump for hopefully user views

edsbike
    Free Member

I went for some Pro2s built onto H Plus Son Archetype rims. Look ace, nice and light, and still dead true despite some relatively rough off road on them. From Just Riding Along.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using Arch Ex rims on my CX so Crests will be fine width-wise so long as you’re talking about CX tyres (eg 32mm+)

karnali
    Free Member

eds bike how much for the build form jra roughly?

D0NK

what’s the issues with running crests with cx tyres? was thinking about them myself

monkeyp

I have just ordered some Fulcrum XL 29er wheels from Bike-discount.de for about £165 which is a bargain for exactly the same purpose.

About 1900g I think, but v. cheap

and 19mm internal rim width as well

karnali
    Free Member

they look good, may try them weight is claimed at 1760 so looking good, i think a throw up between those and the the superstar as they give an option of tubesless on teh crest rims

Speshpaul

goldtec pro and hope bulb on open pro’s on the crosser and pro3 on open pros on the road bike.
    now issues what so ever.

monkeyp

In case you are still looking into this. My Fulcrums turned up on Friday and I have to say they are a lovely set of wheels for the price. I have built them up with Schwalbe CX tyres and I would say that they would be fine down to about a 28c tyre, possibly a 25c.

I like the look of them as well, but they may have a few too many decals for some people.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis Crosslight CXDisc wheels or superstar hubs on crest 29er rims’ is closed to new replies.