Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Kindness of strangers – faith in humanity restored!
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Left my phone and tablet on a train in Holland.

Never thought I would see them again, especially as neither are locked.(I know :oops:)
    Started doing the lost property stuff on their website. Then I get a call from a really helpful chap called Frank, who has my phone and tablet and has called the number under “home”. Being a Dutchman, he speaks pretty decent English and will be sending to our office for me.

Well happy! There a lot of people who wouldn’t have bothered and plenty who would of just kept them. Well happy! 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep, it does happen. An employee left their bag on a train (Leeds > Harrogate line) and got it back, including the wallet with cash and MacBook Pro that were inside.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I dropped my camera in a National Park in Australia at a river crossing. Managed to locate it when back in the UK with a couple of emails to the park rangers and the chap posted it back to me (complete with some photos of his family on the SD card).

hodgynd
    Free Member

Only last week my b/h left/ lost her iphone in the Metrocentre..we were able to track it and knew that it was still inside at 11pm at night ( after the centre had closed ) giving a bit of hope that someone had handed it in ..which they had at customer services when we rang the next day ..thanks to whoever that was!

A few years back on an mtb trip to the Peak District I got to our digs ( Ladybower Inn) and realised to my horror that I had left my wallet lying on top of toilet roll holder at Woodhall Services on the M1…
    £120 cash + cards inside ..a frantic telephone call confirmed that it had been handed in intact.
    There are still some good folks out there ..and the old adage of treating people the way you would want to be treat yourself in situations like this still holds true for a lot of them ..

scuttler

chap posted it back to me (complete with some photos of his family on the SD card)

Pictures of his old fella?

martinhutch

Not sure how common it is these days. I remember the pure shock on the face of a cafe worker in a town near me when I cycled back from the station because she’d given me two fivers stuck together by mistake in my change.

maccruiskeen

Their question is where has he posted the pictures of your old fella. Is the phone logged into your Facebook account? LinkedIn? The daily mail comments section!

bentandbroken

I’m convinced it happens more than people think

I have handed a wallet full of cash to lost property at a train station

I took another wallet full of foreign cash (no idea of the £ value) to the local police station, but also managed to trace the owner myself (we were staying at the same hotel, but he left the day I found the wallet in the car park). I sent a message via reception for him to contact the local police station which he did. He then put £10 in to a charity of my choice after I refused a reward 🙂

I chased a woman out of a shop the other day waving her iPhone above my head (to make it clear I was not trying to steal it)

I have also retrieved a bundle of cash from a cashpoint machine and managed to catch the owner by chasing him though Waterloo station. People even let me jump the Q when I got back to the ATM 🙂

In return my wife had her ‘pocketbook’ returned (still full of money and cards) while we were on holiday in Florida. Someone also stopped to change her flat tyre while she was 8 months pregnant, but that’s just nice rather than an act of honesty

dooosuk
    Free Member

#

No, pictures of his children playing naked in what I assume was his backyard.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Left my wallet in the supermarket a few weeks ago. Handed in, all present and correct. OK, it was Waitrose but still, there are nice people all around.

Merak

Excellent story.

I left my bag on a train from Glasgow to London this year with an ipad, headphones, phone, the lot. I only realised this after I was on the tube.

When I got back to Euston there was a nice man standing with my bag. I fully expected never to see it again.

There are good people out there.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I left my camera on a pew in St Patricks Cathedral in New York earlier this year, didn’t realise until about 20 minutes after we left and went straight back. Unsurprisingly there was no camera where we had been sitting. Went back to the entrance where there were many members of staff and asked one of them if there was a lost property location, ‘Why?’ he asks, ‘I’ve lost my camera’ says I. ‘What make is it?’ he retorts, ‘Panasonic’ I respond. At which he puts his hand in his pocket and says ‘is it this one?’. You could have knocked me down with a feather.

The sheer number of people in there on a Sunday afternoon and the amount of staff to deal with them makes walking up to the first person I see and him happening to have my camera, close to a miracle. If I was a religious type I might think it was some sort of sign, I’m not so I’ll go with it being a lucky concidence.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Had my phone returned by teenage girls when I left it, unlocked, in a park. They called my mum and wife to get hold of me.

footflaps

I had left my wallet lying on top of toilet roll holder at Woodhall Services on the M1…
    £120 cash + cards inside ..a frantic telephone call confirmed that it had been handed in intact.

The wife has twice left her handbag, with everything in it, in services on the M6 and each time someone had handed it in and we got it back.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I found a cyclists bag on the Grays Inn Road, found his ID badge and called him at work, he was from Brazil and all his visa stuff, passport, phone, money etc etc was in that bag he was literally crying with happiness.

On the other hand I left my phone and headphones on the train (terminus, I’m the end of the line) went back literally a minute after getting off and some bastard had nicked it.

I like to think there’s more good than bad out there.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

phone an tablet are hacked and loaded with keystroke software and malware. Possibly

cubist
    Free Member

About 15 years ago I left a wallet on a café table in Bangkok with $250US in it and then headed off to Cambodia for a month. When I returned to Bangkok we walking past the café and I thought I’d pop in and check, never expected it to be there or with the $250 inside (the cash would have gone a very long way for whoever found it)

I tried gifting the owner some of the cash but he wouldn’t have any of it. Honest and humble.

On the flip side I found a wallet on the floor in PC world carpark with a thick wedge of £20’s in it and an ID with a phone number which I called. The guy just said “wait where you are” and hung up. Rocked up about 10 minutes later and didn’t even say thanks. ****!

Cougar

The sheer number of people in there on a Sunday afternoon and the amount of staff to deal with them makes walking up to the first person I see and him happening to have my camera, close to a miracle.

I once left my mobile phone in a field at a festival – I’d taken it out of my pocket to sit down and completely forgot about it when I moved on. When I realised, I rang it not expecting to see it again, turned out that it’d been found by a friend of mine. No big deal except, I’d no idea that she was even at the gig, it was a complete coincidence.

burchill
    Free Member

scuttler – Member

So immature, but I snorted so loudly at desk I got a “bless you” from a colleague.

maccruiskeen

asked one of them if there was a lost property location, ‘Why?’ he asks, ‘I’ve lost my camera’ says I. ‘What make is it?’ he retorts, ‘Panasonic’ I respond. At which he puts his hand in his pocket and says ‘is it this one?’.

Caught read handed – Good job he owned up before you beat a confession out him 🙂

househusband

No, pictures of his children playing naked in what I assume was his backyard.

You’re making another assumption there – that they are actually his children..!

cb

I was sat opposite a drunk bloke on a train when he got up and left, leaving his mobile behind. Tried to get to the doors but they closed. I rang the ‘home’ number to be greeted by a rude, aggresive woman who claimed her husband was nowhere near there, yet alone on a late night train.

I don’t think he had a very good day the day after…

He did call me to thank me for posting the phone back though!

Houns

Handed in to local police station a ladies gold tag heueueueuer with diamonds on the face, that I had found in a changing room. Got a call back later that day from the owner thanking me.

A couple of months ago I was in a cafe in Church Stretton, went to pay for lunch which came to £30ish, when I got to the till I had forgotten that they don’t take cards, so said I’d be a couple of minutes whilst I ran to the cash point… Just as I was stepping out of the door, the lady behind me at the till said she paid the bill for me! I offered many thanks, and told her to wait there whilst I ran to the cash point so I could pay her back, she was having none of it and just asked me to pass it on …. Was genuinely so nice of her

Ambrose
    footflaps

I rang the ‘home’ number to be greeted by a rude, aggresive woman who claimed her husband was nowhere near there, yet alone on a late night train.

I don’t think he had a very good day the day after…

We had a Sales rep join us many years ago. One week we couldn’t contact him and had no idea where he was, so phoned his wife who said he was on a business trip to Thailand, sent by us! We explained we didn’t have any business in Thailand. He didn’t last long…

leftyboy
    Free Member

Years ago I found a wallet on a remote track in the Elan valley. I took it to the local police person who called the owner, he dully appeared checked everything was in it and all he said was “lt’s soaking wet” and with a word of thanks wandered offer muttering under his breath.

That weekend was about as wet a weekend as i’ve ever seen in Wales it was truly tipping down for 48 hours and he’d dropped his wallet in a ditch but was surprised how it had got wet.

Some people are total nobs but there does seem to be a lot of good ones out there. My mate lost his chain due to serve chain suck at BPW on Sunday and nearly everyone on the trail asked if we were OK.

SaxonRider

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Such stories actually give a boost to the rest of us, too. 8)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Kindness of strangers – faith in humanity restored!’ is closed to new replies.